VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• The user and password get committed only when committed, this behaviour is normal for all vpns. Can you take the ovpn you’ve downloaded and run it through the User Defined wizard and see if what ExpressVPN provide works ok.

• Hi there.

One day to the other I started receiving this error message: Could not authenticate with VPN provider. Please check user name and password and try again.

I hope this is the log you need:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

it was a good log, thanks. It looks like the basic call to authenticate with Nord is failing. I don't have an active Nord account, but I have an inactive one and just now I was able to go right through the step you're failing at (which is basically checking you have a valid account to be able to use the Nord API), and retrieve data via the API, before being disallowed to connect.

So maybe there's a problem with your account? Maybe when you tried it the API wasn't available? Maybe it's down to the fact you're running OpenELEC from ~3 years ago. If your account is good, I'd upgrade to a stable LibreELEC and try again. Nord is one of the more popular providers, so if it wasn't working I'd expect to see more people opening bugs, especially given where it's failing.

• The user and password get committed only when committed, this behaviour is normal for all vpns. Can you take the ovpn you’ve downloaded and run it through the User Defined wizard and see if what ExpressVPN provide works ok.

I believe thats what I have done already, recorded in log? I utilised user defined wizard, pointed it to folder containing my expressvpn downloaded *.opvn and key files and result appeared to be same as when using addon provided files + the request for my key files etc. When I use openvpn commands via ssh, VPN connection is correct. (Perhaps I am trying to provide to many files to wizard, i.e. do I need to provide key files to user defined wizard when its not necessary with command line, I recollect wizard copied everything I provided in folder?)

If you need additional specific test result information, just let me know.

Edited once, last by MikeKL (April 10, 2020 at 10:46 PM).

• it was a good log, thanks. It looks like the basic call to authenticate with Nord is failing. I don't have an active Nord account, but I have an inactive one and just now I was able to go right through the step you're failing at (which is basically checking you have a valid account to be able to use the Nord API), and retrieve data via the API, before being disallowed to connect.

So maybe there's a problem with your account? Maybe when you tried it the API wasn't available? Maybe it's down to the fact you're running OpenELEC from ~3 years ago. If your account is good, I'd upgrade to a stable LibreELEC and try again. Nord is one of the more popular providers, so if it wasn't working I'd expect to see more people opening bugs, especially given where it's failing.

Thanks for a prompt response.

My account is active on other devices, so no issues there. Can I send you my login for NordVPN to rule out that it's the addon which is failing. I'm quite sure it's the outdated ELEC as well, but NordVPN said they changed nothing on their end, and I didn't do anything to my setup either.

• zomboided See below import log for personally provided ExpressVPN files, transferred into User Defined area.

As mentioned in previous posts with a provided kodi debug log, I am unable to obtain VPN connection?

However if I copy across all "Userdata\addon_data\service.vpn.manager" files from an older working libreELEC installation from another device VPN connections can then be established, which makes me believe something could be interoperating incorrectly between your add-on and Kodi/LibreELEC OS I am utilising during setup?

• The import log looks fine. I'm guessing that the individual ovpn files have all the keys and certificates contains within them in full rather than as a referenced file path?

Just so that I'm clear, once you've done the import, you try and connect using User Defined as part of the import wizard (I think it does this, i forget), and not revert back to ExpressVPN right? And this fails?

And then you find the command to start the VPN in the log and run exactly that? The ovpn files get morphed around a bit as they're downloaded and modified, so I want to know that you're running the same VPN as the add-on.

What are the contents of Userdata\addon_data\service.vpn.manager\ExpressVPN\ ? If there are certain files in there, it'll use them to modify the VPN. I think the cert/keys are contained in there too. So maybe your old keys/certs were working but for some reason the way keys/certs are extracted in the current version isn't working. You're also copying settings.xml from a "working version".

There are a lot of moving parts here, which isn't helpful for debug. We should switch to PM, and either we can approach this in a more controlled way, or you can share one of your ovpn files as you've downloaded it from ExpressVPN and you user/password.

• Thanks for a prompt response.

My account is active on other devices, so no issues there. Can I send you my login for NordVPN to rule out that it's the addon which is failing. I'm quite sure it's the outdated ELEC as well, but NordVPN said they changed nothing on their end, and I didn't do anything to my setup either.

Sure

• Hello Zomboided.

I have a problem with vstream addon and connection vpn (hydemyass)

(when vstream does a search with the vpn activated. the search time becomes very long and the results are limited.)

I contacted the addon developer and they tell me that the problem comes from the dns configuration of the VPN.

Is there a way to view it via putty and change the configuration?

On the other hand I am new to the Linux commands sorry.

• hello Klojum

if there is no support for a very slow connection with vpn hydemyass from vstream. There is the same problem with the YOUTUBE add-on.

I tried to control the raspberrypi 4b network under libreelec with putty.

here is the video : MEGA

ps: sorry for the rules but unfortunately nothing is translated into french on this forum. I work with googletrad.

• if there is no support for a very slow connection with vpn hydemyass from vstream. There is the same problem with the YOUTUBE add-on.

Maybe I wasn't accurate enough, but as per LibreELEC's forum rules:
    "Forum staff and users will refuse support to other users who have piracy add-ons installed".

Teams Kodi and LibreELEC had had their reputation smeared enough already by 3rd party piracy add-ons.

In short: if you have ANY add-on(s) installed on your setup that are on Kodi's list of banned add-ons, support here will be stopped. Period.

And you can start finding your support elsewhere.

Do we need to translate this into French?

• Even if you do clean up your build and find the problem still exists and isn't due to dodgy add-ons, HideMyAss support looks consistent with what they currently provide. Your next step is to read the debug guide to understand how to run the VPN from the command line and go and get support from a combination of your ISP and your VPN provider.

• Hello,

I have a problem that requires some assistance. Earlier today VPN Manager was no longer successfully connecting to the primary VPN connection. Until recently, it had been working fine. After some troubleshooting I eventually took the steps to do a clean re-install of LibreElec and VPN Manager, yet the issue persists. I use ExpressVPN and have attached a log file here: hastebin

It prompts me to go through the setup wizard (I entered username, password, uploaded ovpn file successfully) and when it asks me to select a primary VPN connection it never connects. It doesn't look like I'm receiving an authentication error and as I mentioned, this was previously working fine after I set it up long ago. I have a similar setup on an identical device and it still seems to be working fine. I'm stumped.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Edit: the ExpressVPN server list was updated within the app today. Perhaps that has something to do with the issues I'm experiencing? I'm still able to connect to VPN on my other device (which is virtually identical to the device I'm having issues with) and just noticed its server list also requires updating (shown with a blue box in the top right corner upon booting).

Edited 3 times, last by rnseal (April 14, 2020 at 5:53 AM).

• There are 100s of things traced, I can't remember what is shown. You'll probably see it in the ovpn file that's traced with each connect/disconnect with debug enabled. You need to enable debug in the VPN Mgr settings page tho, not for everything.

thanks - figured it out that I missed to "reset the VPN provider" after updating these settings :)

• This is now fixed. Pick up the latest update when you see it.