[9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18

• genecic

See post 1:

Code

1. tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data

New installations from recovery:

You will need an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for the first boot. Then you can change the label of internal NAND storage partition as described above if you want to use it instead of the external storage.

• i would like to boot to lebreelec from sd card and leave the nand flash for the stock android. How can i do that?

The instructions from the first post mention to install the zip from recovery. Doing so, will it install on nand?

• Hi everyone. I migrated from Openelec to LibreElec, but now on the bootup screen, Libreelec splashscreen just hangs. Wasn't it able to be migrated, or do I need to do a clean install of LibreElec?

Thanks in advance

• i would like to boot to lebreelec from sd card and leave the nand flash for the stock android. How can i do that?

The instructions from the first post mention to install the zip from recovery. Doing so, will it install on nand?

Following my question above: Do I need to install a bootloader (from the stock android) in the SD card MBR? And assuming I manage to install the bootloader and boot from the SD card with the toothpick method.. then what shall I do to boot LE from the SD card?

• I installed 8.0.2 over 7.95. Everything seems to work fine, apart from the fact that I can't seem to change display resolution (Settings -> System -> Display). The Resolution and Refresh Rate options are greyed out, and report 1280x720p / 60.00 , respectively. I'd like to change that to 1920x1080p. How ? Surely I don't need to first load 8.0.0 and then upgrade to 8.0.2 ? Where is the resolution data stored? I'd like to try force it? Edit: This solved my problem Can't change resolution - WeTek Community Forum - I guess EDID is not working on my monitor, cable, or the device.. weird

Edited once, last by fragtion (September 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM).

• Does the nand go bad sometimes after doing internal nand storage?? because after flashing with 8.0.2 then run command for internal nand partitions everything is working fine. So I send it out to my cousin he's stays in another city after 4 months the mx2 does some weird auto repair and keeps running commands on the screen. Then I guide him into recovery and just erase data user but not partition the box would hang on libreelec screen with tty on top left corner. Smh. I'm thinking he need external memory for the box...?

• Just wondering if there will be an update to Libreelec 8.1.0 so we can get Krypton 17.4.

Thanks,

iamwally

There is not much to get from update to 17.4 as most of the fixes does not apply to Amlogic platform. So I'm currently not planning 8.1.x / 8.2.x build, sorry. Instead I've already tried to build development version of 9.0 (with Kodi 18.0) and it runs somehow, however in its current state it is not usable yet.

Edited once, last by KOPRajs (September 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM).

• Could someone please tell me how to install the latest build to SD card? I've been using the these builds since they were created last February on the MX (8726) on NAND, but I think my box is suffering flash wear-out as described by KOPRajs. One day I saw a bunch of errors relating to internal storage on boot and it never loaded LE after that. I've done the cache wipe and unfortunately also the factory wipe via the Android robot recovery, so I may have soft-bricked my device (as described by another post in the Amlogic section).

I've successfully loaded the empty storage partition (storage.img.gz file and LE SD Creator) and it loads the LE splashscreen... I just don't know how to install LE to SD card -- my goal is simply to load LE form the SD card since my NAND is probably toast.

Up until recently, LE has been running perfectly on NAND for 2+ years. I originally had OE then upgraded to LE through its various iterations, without any problems ever. And surprisingly the MX boot faster and seemed to perform better compared to my MXQ. Great work KOPRajs!

Thank you for your help!

John

• Could someone please tell me how to install the latest build to SD card? I've been using the these builds since they were created last February on the MX (8726) on NAND, but I think my box is suffering flash wear-out as described by KOPRajs. One day I saw a bunch of errors relating to internal storage on boot and it never loaded LE after that. I've done the cache wipe and unfortunately also the factory wipe via the Android robot recovery, so I may have soft-bricked my device (as described by another post in the Amlogic section).

I've successfully loaded the empty storage partition (storage.img.gz file and LE SD Creator) and it loads the LE splashscreen... I just don't know how to install LE to SD card -- my goal is simply to load LE form the SD card since my NAND is probably toast.

Up until recently, LE has been running perfectly on NAND for 2+ years. I originally had OE then upgraded to LE through its various iterations, without any problems ever. And surprisingly the MX boot faster and seemed to perform better compared to my MXQ. Great work KOPRajs!

Thank you for your help!

John

Let me try to make it a little bit more clear.

First, there are several partitions on the internal NAND:

KERNEL - kernel image

SYSTEM - system image

DATA - storage partition

CACHE - cache (not used by OpenELEC / LibreELEC)

It is usually only the DATA partition which suffers from the NAND wear-out as the KERNEL and SYSTEM are used as read-only.

Second, there is nothing like "boot from SD card" supported by this build. You always need to have the kernel and system images on the internal NAND. However this build looks for whatever partition named LIBREELEC_DISK on every boot and uses it for storage instead of always using DATA partition.

So you don't need to install LE to SD card. You only need to have LE (kernel and system) installed on the internal NAND and to have an empty SD card named LIBREELEC_DISK inserted in the box during boot.

Hope this helps.

• Can anyone make a video of this installation?

I'm not super tech savvy so some of this lingo is confusing me, I've installed libreELEC onto my MX2 but I get an error when it needs to load

Pretty sure it has something to do with the NAND partition process

• just registered to say a big shout out to KOPRajs

thanks for putting in the work supporting our old amlogic mx2 type boxes

my old box i gave to my brother was acting up with corruption related errors probably due to him just switching off through the mains rather than proper shutdown of the software and box the memory of the box seems to be broken

however after a rather tedious process i got it back to 1.2.2 matricom firmware then managed to get openelec on it then updated it to your build, done the ssh addin but after originally working the memory corruption errors returned, so formated a mini sd card to ext3 and labled it like you said and although the micro sd card is slower than the box memory it works fine except for a bit of lag but thats because of the slow kngston micro sd card whcih i believe is class 4 (i thought the lower class ones were better for lots of small files, ahh well :( )

i may update the sd card to a faster version or just leave as is but the real story is the box is back working

thanks man :thumbup:

• Hi there. I have Vigica C70S android tv box. It is equipped with a tuner DVB-S. It is using Amlogic AML8726-MX SoC , g18ref_th12. Can I use this libreelec firmware with my device ? If I use it, will I be able to use tuner or will it be useless ? How do I install it to my box ?

Edit : I created a ext3 partitioned usb drive , and also used the sd card to flash the firmware. Upon booting, librelec logo shows and in the top left corner :

could not mount /flash/system

Starting debugging shell . Type exit to quit

cant access tty job control turned off

I am not sure if it is the sd card or the devices memory but for example if I don't put a ext3 formatted LIBREELEC_DISK labeled sd card the error changes to something like couldnt find LIBREELEC_DISK labeled mount etc... So what can I do ?

Edited 2 times, last by patientx (December 12, 2017 at 11:17 PM).

• It's possible the replace the u-boot.bin with the one in the original android stock firmware? Because in my CMX box, the system seems to install ok, but when this is finished update_screen.jpg

and restarts, the box stays with the red light, and only can boot to libreelec shorting the pins in the board, its strange because even with libreelec booted the light always stays red all the time.

• There is not much to get from update to 17.4 as most of the fixes does not apply to Amlogic platform. So I'm currently not planning 8.1.x / 8.2.x build, sorry. Instead I've already tried to build development version of 9.0 (with Kodi 18.0) and it runs somehow, however in its current state it is not usable yet.

Hi KOPRajs. Any news on a new release yet? Appreciate all you do for keeping these great little boxes alive and current!

Thanks,

iamwally