Posts by imlibre

Hello LibreELEC forum,

I attempted to update to LE 9 a few days after its release via LibreELEC Configuation on LE 8.2.5 on my WeTek Play 2 (Automatic Updates set to manual in System/Updates). The tar file downloaded but the update was not successful — on restart the Play 2 would freeze after the initial LibreELEC splashscreen. I could not access the box via ftp or samba share so I could not collect any logs for errors caused by the update. I then reinstalled 8.2.5 via SD Card Creator app and all is well again. I'm not going to update to LE 9 until I hear more.

System is installed on SD card, not internal NAND. Version 8.2.5 has been very stable and past updates from LE7 to LE8 (also via LibreELEC Configuration) have worked without any issue. Out of curiosity about the stability of 9.0.0, I installed LE9 on a Pi Zero and it was fine.

Have others experienced the same issue on the Play 2?

Thank you,

John

Could someone please tell me how to install the latest build to SD card? I've been using the these builds since they were created last February on the MX (8726) on NAND, but I think my box is suffering flash wear-out as described by KOPRajs. One day I saw a bunch of errors relating to internal storage on boot and it never loaded LE after that. I've done the cache wipe and unfortunately also the factory wipe via the Android robot recovery, so I may have soft-bricked my device (as described by another post in the Amlogic section).

I've successfully loaded the empty storage partition (storage.img.gz file and LE SD Creator) and it loads the LE splashscreen... I just don't know how to install LE to SD card -- my goal is simply to load LE form the SD card since my NAND is probably toast.

Up until recently, LE has been running perfectly on NAND for 2+ years. I originally had OE then upgraded to LE through its various iterations, without any problems ever. And surprisingly the MX boot faster and seemed to perform better compared to my MXQ. Great work KOPRajs!

Thank you for your help!

John

Hi all,

The LE USB-SD Creator program creates a ~500 MB partition for the LE system... I've read somewhere that an additional partition is created with the remainder of the SD Cards total capacity but I cannot see this when using Disk Utility on my computer (Mac). I'm using a 16 GB SD card, will that extra storage be available on the box as a separate partition? Here are screenshots for context (the card is a Kingston Class 10 16 GB).

Thanks for your help,

John

Thank you for your feedback chewitt,

If there is a problem with the user base incorrectly installing images to NAND then this means that there must also be a correct method for doing so, and so your comments beg the question... what is the correct method for installing the NAND image? I am following the instructions on the LE download page exactly and all my installs have worked perfectly and I've not heard of any problems from customers.

Of course I can understand messing things up by using 'ROMs' that were not intended for the hardware, but I am not doing that. I always update to the latest WeTek/Android build before I proceed with installing LE. As for using the correct image, the LE-prescribed-procedure is pretty straightforward so what is there to screw up? What else should I be doing to prevent problems? If this is increasingly becoming problematic why does LE provide NAND images for this hardware?

In his email to me regarding SD installs Pedro from WeTek uses the words 'preferable' and says 'it's a much safer bet' to do SD card installs, he did not say anything to suggest that my installing LE to NAND on WeTek hardware will be unsupported or is unofficial. Perhaps that message will change in future as you mentioned you are currently discussing these matters with them.

Thank you for your help,

imlibre

Hello all,

I build customized Kodi boxes for customers and my preferred system is LibreELEC on WeTek hardware -- I generally do this for older customers who don't need or want Android so they have a box that boots fast and is super simple to navigate and operate. I did this for a customer over the holidays who did not realize they would not have access to Netflix on the LE/Kodi system. So I contacted WeTek and requested the Android downloads. In my communications with Pedro from WeTek, he suggested to me that by installing LE/OE to NAND, there is a potential to brick the box. Here is that email for reference:

Follow-up email:
    I'm not saying that installing Android build on the NAND will harm the device. What i meant was referring to other OS's such as LE/OE, because installing them into the NAND will cause a different approach than the Android build. As most of them often use different kernels and drivers. And switching back and forth can cause trouble with bad blocks etc.

With the [installing to the] SD card is a much safer bet, because if somehow [SD card] gets damaged beyond repair, you just need to change it for a new one, which is much cheaper than sending back the WeTek for repair or getting a new device.

Best Regards,
    Pedro
    WeTek Support Team

I'm a little surprised to hear this because I've built about a dozen LE/OE boxes so far (over the span of ~2 years) and have encountered zero issues installing to NAND* -- I do not want to run Kodi from the slower SD card but another reason why I don't is because I know that SD cards have limited number of write-cycles they can take before they are toast. I don't know that much about flash memory technologies but when I researched the subject I learned that NAND was more reliable vs. SD card and so it's become my standard way of installing LE on WeTek devices. Also, as I make these for customers who are simply watching TV and not 'hacking their boxes' I am not switching the systems back and forth between Android and LE -- it's just happening once, when I wipe the factory Android software to install LE.

My question and concern is... if there was potential to brick the box (in terms of NAND vs. SD card installs) why would LibreELEC / OpenELEC make the option to do so so readily and equally available and without any special caveat or warning? i.e. "SD card installs are preferable because..." And in the case of OpenELEC making an officially supported WeTek device that came pre-installed with OE, I presume (perhaps wrongly) that those were also NAND installs on the original 'WeTek Play' that came with OE -- or at least OE used to, because I just looked at their website and things have obviously changed.

To sum up, I've only had great experiences running LE over the past six months and none of my customers have reported any issues. I welcome any comments from anyone experienced in these matters. Since learning about this from WeTek I will be more clear with my customers up front, and my 'threshold' test for installing LE will be whether or not they want Netflix on the same box... to prevent potential issues of creating bad blocks, etc. in going from Android (factory) to LE and then back to Android as in the case above.

Thank you kindly,

imlibre

* The only issue installing to NAND was installing OE 6 (unofficial from JustMeRoms) to an MX (G18) box -- OE 6 worked for two months, reinstalled same build which lasted another two months, then used 6.0.3 (kszaq) build which has been great for ~4 months -- but again, I have never encountered more serious issues installing to NAND to the point where a box is bricked, neither on MX nor on WeTek hardware.

Like Hellspawn above, I can confirm the same ssh error on bootup after attempting to install LibreELEC 7.0.2 to NAND on my WeTek Core.

I used the WeTek Core NAND installer (.zip file from LibreELEC downloads page). After a long wait on the Android update screen (animated green Android droid and progress bar) the system restarts and after the WeTek.Core splash screen appears it shows this error in the upper left of screen: "ssh: can't access tty: job control turned off". Subsequent restarts will not move past this error.

So I then installed OE7 beta 3 (6.95.3) available from the OpenELEC website which installs successfully but the WeTek Core remote does not function. Thinking that something was not right with OE7b3 I opted to install OE 7.0.0 provided by wrxtasy in the WeTek forums since it seems to be the most recent (May 27, 2016). This also installs fine but the WeTek Core remote still does not work, althouth the CEC function works fine using the standard TV remote. I've written to WeTek support to request help with the remote not working in OE. I've read about mapping remote keys but haven't explored it further.

**Update 30 minutes later**

I updated from OE to LE via the .tar file (.tar file from LE downloads page dropped in OE 'Update' folder and rebooted) and LE successfully installs and loads, but the WeTek Core remote still does not work. I even loaded the keymap file as suggested by the 'Alernative keymaps for WeTek remotes' Kodi page (pasting code into a new text document and saving as keyboard.xml and placing in ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/ folder and then restarting Kodi) but it doesn't fix the problem of the remote not working.

The only button that responds on the Core's remote is the power button but it does not function normally. If I power off using the CEC remote, the Core powers off and its LED goes red... if I then hit the power button on Core's remote it will make the LED turn blue again but it won't power on. I have to manualy turn on the Core by pressing the power button on the device (or by unplugging/replugging).

Does anyone out there with LibreELEC 7 know how to get the WeTek Core remote control to work?

Thank you,

John