I've played with the CPU settings a little more because running both CPU clusters on full speed all the time is not a feasible option for the H96 MAX box (because of the bad thermal design).
I'm getting the best results with setting like this:
- echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
- echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy4/scaling_governor
- echo "0" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online
- echo "0" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
- echo "0" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
- echo "0" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
Basically I turned the RK3399 big.LITTLE CPU into a simple dual-core Cortex-A72 SMP CPU by limiting the LITTLE cluster to a powersave state and telling the scheduler not to use it. "Isn't it ironic", turning half the CPU off actually makes the LibreELEC run faster?