[7.0.3.012l] LibreELEC 7.0 for S905/S905X

• The Coolest
    I cleared another sdcard and used rufus to install the K version. Kodi appeared on the screen so the bootup indeed went well.
    The remote didn't work though. Did the procedure again but this time copied the renamed mxq pro device tree to sdcard. Stripes on the screen again. As I need this remote, I think I'll stay with the J version for now.

For me, even a clean installation of K does not work (Mini MX 2G). It bombs out at the LE logo, same as when I upgrade to J from K. Just thought I'd mention it as a few people here are saying that a clean install kinda works. It is connected to a 4K TV, which may be significant. I don't have a different TV to try it on.

Edited once, last by RowanDDR (May 7, 2017 at 8:57 PM).

• The kernel part is responsible for how that information is transmitted over the HDMI link, and there is most definitely some significant change - in my setup for the better.

"Most definitely" and "significant".
    You too are using some strong words to describe this alleged change in picture quality.

This makes me wonder if it is somehow hardware and/or source (video) related.

I am obsessed with picture quality and I see no difference between Jarvis and Krypton to speak of.
    But I would still like to understand your position and get to the bottom of this.

I would welcome your help with this...

Can you (both) answer some questions?
    1. Is the change in picture quality visible in all content or limited to a certain resolution, codec, container, bit depth etc.?
    2. Do you have a S905 or S905X box?
    3. Are you outputting YCbCr or RGB?
    4. Do you alter the picture in Kodi in any way? Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color etc.?
    5. Hardware or Software acceleration?
    6. Do you use refresh rate switching, i.e. are you outputting the video's native framerate?
    7. What resolution and refresh rate is your menu set to?

And finally - can you quantify the difference with the help of the Spears&Munsil chroma upsampling pattern?
    Look at the pattern in both versions and try to explain where you see a difference - or take a close-up picture.

Thank you!

• I noticed the change in my projector/avr setup most (see sig). Projector is set to "true cinema" (for the fractional rates), standard rgb range, film preset with slight tweaks.

1. Visible in all content, like some very light grey vail is removed. Better contrast and more details, especially in dark areas (my example was Indiana Jones 3, the black suit of Mr. Donovan early in the movie), more natural colors. My wife used to complain that the movies were "too dull" and asked me to jack up the settings (which I did not do, as other sources were fine with the settings). I also have a S805 box, and always thought that the picture quality there was somehow different. Now there is no significant difference anymore, at least to my eyes.
    2. S905, I currently use my S905X only for testing (see sig)
    3. Whatever is default, most likely YCbCr
    4. No, and never did
    5. Both
    6. Yes
    7. 1080p60

I actually used the pattern v2 some days ago, and saw for the first time the "slightly darker" boxes in the clipping test area. It had bothered my before, as I could not see them properly in all the older versions of kodi on amlogic, even if I aggressively changed the settings of the projector. I did not compare the other areas explicitly.

You might still be right that I am victim of some placebo effect or an unrelated change. I might try to take pictures of my screen, but I have no high quality camera. If I find some time during the week, I setup a non-nougat-kernel version and compare the patterns in more detail. (I use this process:
    Choosing a Color Space, 2nd Edition | Spears & Munsil)

Edited once, last by mmpp (May 8, 2017 at 12:33 AM).

Thank you for answering these questions! :)
    It does look like our conditions are the same (if you noticed those changes on S905X as well).

I actually used the pattern v2 some days ago, and saw for the first time the "slightly darker" boxes in the clipping test area. It had bothered my before, as I could not see them properly in all the older versions of kodi on amlogic, even if I aggressively changed the settings of the projector. I did not compare the other areas explicitly.

Do you mean you could see squares in the clipping fields, but not all four squares - only the lighter, left ones?

You might still be right that I am victim of some placebo effect or an unrelated change. I might try to take pictures of my screen, but I have no high quality camera. If I find some time during the week, I setup a non-nougat-kernel version and compare the patterns in more detail. (I use this process:
    Choosing a Color Space, 2nd Edition | Spears & Munsil)

Well I did not intend to imply you are a victim to placebo.
    I am just as much trying to identify the difference on my side too.
    You have both described the change as quite significant so I am confused that I can't see it.
    If it were something subtle, I had just blamed my eyes. ;)

I will try to compare the Spears&Munsil pattern on both versions again too.

On a side note:
    Those clipping squares were never visible on any RPi build, but that still did not stop me from using the RPi2 every day.
    The reason is that I never saw any negative impact in movies.

Generally speaking, the Pi's performance in this pattern is not good, but OK where it really counts in my opinion (upsampling and diagonals).
    So I would call the changes between RPi and S905X subtle, although they are clearly reproducible with the pattern.

• Sorry, I did not communicate clearly: I currently do not use the S905X actively. I got it very cheap, and after I noticed that it struggles with some content that needs software decoding, I put it on a shelf. I saw the differences with my two S905 boxes. As the projector is used with a 120" screen, it is easier to notice small details there :). But both the old LCD TV and the projector showed the difference. I remember it well, because the first try of kszaq did not have the forceRGB functionality (that my Philips TV needs) and I really wanted to keep the better image quality.

Regarding the patterns:
    I do not remember how many or which inner boxes I can see now with the current kernel - I was just suprised to see them clearly for the first time.

• Hi guys,

love the project. Amlogic chips sets are now supported.

I have a issue with my Tronsmart telos.

Wifi doesnt work at all. So i cant get right clock/ time .

My router is setted at 2,4ghz channel 13 and 5 Ghz auto channel.

switching to other channel does not helped (2,4ghz).

I want to download the german language for the menu in Jarvis!

I was just able to run LibreElec without choosing the right device tree!

I burned just the image onto sd without copying the dtb.img. Now it works and stable but no wifi. It shows sometimes my network and get connected .

I use the newest (K) built.

Great if somebody could help me .

• I burned just the image onto sd without copying the dtb.img. Now it works and stable but no wifi.

Presuming you have WiFi enabled and Ethernet disabled in LE configuration, start trying it with other dtb.img files and find the one that is correct for your box

Edited once, last by Poida (May 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM).

• Could someone share with me the right dtb.img who own a tronsmart vega s95 telos?

wifi wont work . i installed with created SD . I didn't paste any device trees. I let it by default . This is working exept wifi.

I would be thankfull.

waiting for replys

• I did a fresh install and now the lastest version with new video driver is ok. Now the priority, for me, is to enable 10 bit Hdr video output.
    Thanks for your work!

Edited once, last by saltanar (May 9, 2017 at 12:25 PM).

• [SOLVED] thread-8253-post-49042.html#pid49042

One more question. How to change subtitle font?
    According to tutorials fonts should be placed in /media/Fonts (one level below userdata).
    There's no such directory and creating one makes no difference.
    I tried creating Fonts in Samba shares by editing samba.conf. Tried also creating media/Fonts.
    Then I tried to create Fonts folder to existing media folder in system with ssh but after restart all files in media are deleted.
    I tried also creating folder in Userdata and nothing.
    One hour later I discoverd that File Menager in Kodi shows there are folder like 'fonts' and 'media' so I though "that must be it!".
    But no. It's not.
    Not one of these locations work.
    Anyone can help me with this?

Edited once, last by yatoya (May 11, 2017 at 1:32 PM).

• @ eisbaer
    It seems like a clean install of K will fix all the issues with getting the box to bootup with a 4k TV.

The Coolest
    Second try :)
    I did a clean install of the K version and put a remote.conf on the sdcard. This time the boot went well and the remote worked.

After testing with some films I noticed that some 2160p x265 films that run ok on the J version, have heavy frame dropping in the K version.

• No need to bother with messing around with ssh into box, just use File Manager but first ensure you are configured in KODI Settings so you can see and write/delete to hidden and system files. In KODI 17 default Estuary skin go to Settings/Media/General and enable the last two items which are disabled by default, cannot right now remember where you find thsoe settigns in the old Confluence skin which I no longer use. I prefer Estuary skin now at last I am familiar with it.

So with the font TTF file you want to use (I use Arialuni.ttf file by the way) on say a USB stick or SD card and in your box run up File Manager. In the A window find your font file on your memory stick. Next in the B window go to this path root/storage/.kodi/media and once there make a new folder called Fonts. Open your new Fonts folder and copy across your new TTF font fiile from your memory stick. Reboot and that is it. You can now select your new font in the subtitle settings.

I create a new source in File Manager called root which points to the the Root File System and the path just shows the / character. This is so useful as I can access all the folders in /root and then using File Manager copying across config files like remote.conf, font files etc and of course new LE update files into the storage/update folder. This is by far easier than running up Putty or whatever on your PC, getting your box's LAN IP address and having to log in via SSH trying to remember the various commands syntax.

Just put what you need to copy across onto say a USB stick. Or do what I do and create another File Manager source pointing directly to my NAS Drive (or any other local network storage location), where I have accessible folders with all of these needed KODI files stored and can easily find them and copy across what is needed simply using File Manage every time. I actually only use SSH for editing, or makingfrom scratch, a remote.conf file by finding all the required remote's key codes, plus of course for installing LE from SD card to internal, which I always do as see no point in keepign bloatware Android with LE being so much better, leaner and so much faster running properly from internal.

Hope that helps.

Edited once, last by RayW (May 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM).

• No need to bother with messing around with ssh into box, just use File Manager but first ensure you are configured in KODI Settings so you can see and write/delete to hidden and system files. In KODI 17 default Estuary skin go to Settings/Media/General and enable the last two items which are disabled by default, cannot right now remember where you find thsoe settigns in the old Confluence skin which I no longer use. I prefer Estuary skin now at last I am familiar with it.

So with the font TTF file you want to use (I use Arialuni.ttf file by the way) on say a USB stick or SD card and in your box run up File Manager. In the A window find your font file on your memory stick. Next in the B window go to this path root/storage/.kodi/media and once there make a new folder called Fonts. Open your new Fonts folder and copy across your new TTF font fiile from your memory stick. Reboot and that is it. You can now select your new font in the subtitle settings.

I create a new source in File Manager called root which points to the the Root File System and the path just shows the / character. This is so useful as I can access all the folders in /root and then using File Manager copying across config files like remote.conf, font files etc and of course new LE update files into the storage/update folder. This is by far easier than running up Putty or whatever on your PC, getting your box's LAN IP address and having to log in via SSH trying to remember the various commands syntax.

Just put what you need to copy across onto say a USB stick. Or do what I do and create another File Manager source pointing directly to my NAS Drive (or any other local network storage location), where I have accessible folders with all of these needed KODI files stored and can easily find them and copy across what is needed simply using File Manage every time. I actually only use SSH for editing, or makingfrom scratch, a remote.conf file by finding all the required remote's key codes, plus of course for installing LE from SD card to internal, which I always do as see no point in keepign bloatware Android with LE being so much better, leaner and so much faster running properly from internal.

Hope that helps.

Hidden files... Tricky :) Thanks a lot!

• Tryed to flash 7.0.3.012k onto my X96-1G/X96-2G with a freshly setup sdcard and when it boots I get a distorted image of the LE splash and the box won't boot past it. 7.0.3.0.12j boots fine however.