LE 10.0.1 / Rpi4 / No picture after update from LE 10.0.0

• sorry, no answer there, because they don't explain, why they have changed this behaviour in the middle of the lifetime of the soc. They can change such things before they go to market, but not after that, when the manufacturers already have tested, that their parts are working (and they have worked before). I think we should all send our cases back to the manufacturers, say them, that their cases are against the spec and demand our money back, then it's only a matter of days until this commit is reverted or the pi foundation goes bankrupt ;)

I don't think the strict handling is a wise decision, if every part of your pi comes from a different manufacturer. Now we have cases that no longer work and we can't buy a new one, because we don't know which cases fulfill the specs strictly. And it's not the pi-way, to buy the parts from one single manufacturer or buy every year a new pi, that's the CoreELEC-way.

For me it sounds, that someone has made this change without reason and without knowing the consequences and now is happy to pass the buck to the manufacturers. But then the pi foundation should be honest and say: dump your case, we will never fix this and we cross our fingers, that your next case works

• zehner the explanation is here - it caused issues with 4kp50/60 which need scrambling.

There was a bug in the kernel driver where we would read the edid without hotplug being asserted which is against spec (and caused issues with re-enabling scrambling after switching hdmi input).

Instead of writing long posts please just test without the case and it's HDMI adapter PCB (or whatever it's plugging into the RPi's HDMI ports inside).

The logs you posted indicate that hotplug works fine on the second HDMI port but not on the first one - which is very likely caused by the adapter inside the case (Argon one case had a myriad of these problems because of manufacturing defects and the like).

If this works just return the case and get a replacement.

so long,

Hias

• sorry, no answer there, because they don't explain, why they have changed this behaviour in the middle of the lifetime of the soc.

There is an entire blog post about it, which explains the why, and OF COURSE software changes during the lifetime of the SoC. If it doesn't then you have an Amlogic device running a 3.14 kernel.

Bullseye - the new version of Raspberry Pi OS - Raspberry Pi
    Every two years, Debian Linux, on which Raspberry Pi OS is based, gets a major upgrade. 'Bullseye' is named after Woody's horse in Toy Story 2
    www.raspberrypi.com

KMS video driver

The KMS (kernel modesetting) driver, which was an experimental option in previous releases, is now the standard video driver in this release.

KMS is the Linux standard mechanism for controlling the connection to a display. The previous video driver was Raspberry Pi-specific, and was built into the custom firmware which is unique to Raspberry Pi computers; it was also closed source. This enabled us to make a number of optimisations for our hardware, but it also meant that any applications that wanted to directly access the display needed to be written specifically for Raspberry Pi. By moving to KMS, any application written using the standard Linux display APIs should run on Raspberry Pi without modification.

The other advantage of this approach is that display drivers for Raspberry Pi are now all part of the Linux kernel, and can therefore be written or modified by third parties; previously this code was all in the closed-source firmware. This should make it easier for the manufacturers of items like custom displays to add support for Raspberry Pi.

• returning the case is not an option, because the old firmware has hidden the "bug" (sorry, it's ridiculous to call it bug because it rendered a picture) long enough, so that I (and perhaps other users) can't return the case. And I can confirm, that it works without the case, I've tested it and it's really working (before and after the update).

To the other users here who still had hopes, that they get their picture back without buying new hardware:

in pi-speak, the bug was, that we get a picture. Now they have fixed this "bug" by stopping rendering the picture. Just do the math how likely it is, that they fix (er sorry, i mean break in pi-speak) the functionality again and bring us back the rendering...

• If you don't want to return the broken case you should be able to work around the issue by adding video=HDMI-A-1:D to cmdline.txt (after "quiet", on the same line) or runing getedid create with the TV connected directly to the RPi on HDMI0.

so long,

Hias

• getedid create gives the following:

error: cannot detemine active connectors

This means hotplug detect isn't working. Try without your Argon One case, most likely this is the culprit, or add video=HDMI-A-1:D to /flash/cmdline.txt as a workaround.

so long,

Hias

• I'm hopeful the DRM pull for 5.18 will help these sort of issues, I've always found hotplug detection to be pretty janky on RPi4's:

Code
    Handover display from firmware to vc4 more gracefully, and support nomodeset.

These changes are already in the LE RPi kernel, they are just being added to upstream.

I'm not aware of any hotplug detect issues so far - if you experience any problems that are not related to broken hardware/adapter/cables please provide more info (logs with drm.debug=0x04, TV/monitor/AVR model etc).

so long,

Hias

• Hello everyone,

I didn't have the time to try all solutions mentioned in that thread but below is a thread that I opened regarding video/audio issues that I had after upgrading to 10.0.1 on my RPi4.

I tried to provide as many logs that I could think of. For now, I managed to have video output through HDMI and sound through analog output.

I hope to find an only-HDMI solution though ;)

piwithoutsound
    January 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM

Have a nice day!

• The problem with no screen after update is still there with 10.0.2

Older Samsung TV direkt connected to RPI4.

TV says: "unsupported mode". Configured is 1080p@50 which is supported on TV and works just fine with 10.0.0

The workaround with "getedid" and command-line additions does not work for me.

I had to downgrade (again)

This thread is a little bit "derailed" by other problems like DRM and sound.

Is there a working solution for "no picture" problem from OP (and me) ?

Thanks for your work on libreelec !

• Same problem here. The TV is a Grundig Fire TV. It works fine with 10.0.0, but not 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.

I see the rainbow picture and then only a blank screen, till the TV says "no signal". The Pi4 (2GB) is working in the background and I can shut it down with the shortcut-key and the TV turn then off with CEC, too.

I tried it with a low cost beamer (to make an actual backup) and it shows a picture and the setting looks identical to the setting with 10.0.0, but it would not work with my normal TV. The mode is 1080p@60, which works normaly fine.

• If you don't want to return the broken case you should be able to work around the issue by adding video=HDMI-A-1:D to cmdline.txt (after "quiet", on the same line) or runing getedid create with the TV connected directly to the RPi on HDMI0.

so long,

Hias

I have tried the additionof video=HDMI-A-1:D to the command line, and it kind of works: Switching on the Kodi-RP first and then switching on the TV works most of the times. Sometimes it helps to switch between inputs on the TV.

What never works: Switching on the TV and device on the same time or switching on the TV first.

It is some sort of timing issue on the kodi startup that prevents working correctly.

And again: Absolutly no issues with 10.0.0 and this setup. There is something broken since 10.0.1

• I tried that workaround, too. But it is no solution for me. I see the rainbow picture and then only a blank screen till the "no signal" message from the TV.

I tried both HMDI-Ports from the Pi4, but the only difference was, that with the "standard" port it shuts the TV off, when I shut off the Pi and at the other port it does not.

I don't know what is the big difference with HDMI from the good working 10.0.0 over the not working 10.0.1 and 10.0.2?

• Thank you yullaw for the workaround, I must have overseen it first. It seems to work for me as well.

The Pi4 boots up and I could change the resolution to 1080p and it seems it works fine after a reboot. My system was an update from 10.0.0 to 10.0.2.

But it is only a workaround an not a solution.