LE10 & deinterlacing in RPi4

• Bonjour, I have the same issue in LE10, but I think it's not related to deinterlacing method. As deinterlacing is not implemented now, we should see the "comb effect" but with a smoth rendering and unfortunately its not like that.

In France, we receive DVBT stream in 1080i and DD+, and it seems every seconds some frame are not displayed (judder). My workaround is...use the TV tuner :)

• Hi. I am currently watching a football euro match broadcasted throught DVBT captured by tvheadend and streamed to the raspberry pi 4. I see that players become blurry (intelaced lines) while moving so I suppose this is the not implemented de-interlace. I suppose that this is not yet implemented. Correct? Is there an update?

Thanks

Edited once, last by spooker (June 27, 2021 at 3:10 AM).

• Just an idea but would it be possible to send the HDMI signal interlaced to the tv and have the tv perform the deinterlacing? Usually TV's are quite capable deinterlace devices. I only see progressive resolutions in the whitelist. Perhaps interlaced resolutions can be enabled some other way?

• Official Post

Just an idea but would it be possible to send the HDMI signal interlaced to the tv and have the tv perform the deinterlacing? Usually TV's are quite capable deinterlace devices. I only see progressive resolutions in the whitelist. Perhaps interlaced resolutions can be enabled some other way?

Not possible as Kodi has no concept of video pass-through and only outputs progressive.

• Not possible as Kodi has no concept of video pass-through and only outputs progressive.

Also not at the system level? I mean why not have 1080i as an option in the list? Then everything even Kodi itself is interlaced leaving interlaced video untouched. Then perhaps Kodi can switch to 1080i output when it detects a video or stream is 1080i. I am by no means a programmer though so apologies if these are dumb questions. :|

• So, how many years do we have to wait till we get the same TV experience with a rpi 4 than with the very very very old s905 boxes?

I mean, mpeg2 is even older and still used for many many many tv channels. :P

• Official Post

Pi Foundation folks are currently focussed on finishing the 10/12-bit video and 4K60 work. This will firm up the kernel/DRM side of the puzzle and allow some ffmpeg cleanup, which needs to happen before more complication (with deinterlace) is added. It's vacation season so all of the above is running about 3/4 speed right now. IMHO the current software deinterlace capability is quite usable (not perfect, but usable).

• Pi Foundation folks are currently focussed on finishing the 10/12-bit video and 4K60 work. This will firm up the kernel/DRM side of the puzzle and allow some ffmpeg cleanup, which needs to happen before more complication (with deinterlace) is added. It's vacation season so all of the above is running about 3/4 speed right now. IMHO the current software deinterlace capability is quite usable (not perfect, but usable).

Yes. it is of course acceptable to wait for deinterlacing,

But in my opinion and taste, the software deinterlace with RPi4 is not a good viewing experience.

At least for TV Reception of full-hd 1080i@50 fps soccer games - there's a movement lag that feels somehow "unnatural". And gives an uncomfortable viewing sensation (probably the RPi4 is not powerful enough to do software deinterlace).

But that's only my opinion, of course.

when deinterlace is not needed LE10 is great ;)

• I asked this some time ago:

A clear "NO" would've been better than "Both settings exist for RPi4B". :)

Now i have orderd a PI and i can't use it. :(

I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for a perfect Kodi Device with Deinterlacing (Image Quality should be compareable with AMDs Vector Adaptive Deinterlacer), PAL Speedup (24p to 25p to match 50hz) and maybe Upscaling like madVR's NGU.

Maybe you Libreelec Admins and Devs should talk about this with the Raspberry Developers when they start to Design the "PI 5/PI 500" !!!

• Pi Foundation folks are currently focussed on finishing the 10/12-bit video and 4K60 work. This will firm up the kernel/DRM side of the puzzle and allow some ffmpeg cleanup, which needs to happen before more complication (with deinterlace) is added. It's vacation season so all of the above is running about 3/4 speed right now. IMHO the current software deinterlace capability is quite usable (not perfect, but usable).

Maybe i am missing something , but by saying "use Software deinterlacing " you mean there is an option for it that i missed or by disabling hardware acceleration each time we gonna watch interlaced content ?

• I can't wait for this to be fixed! :)

I'm totally stuck on 9 until it is fixed. 95% of my use is 1080p TV on RPI4's around my house. Despite some comments here, it really is annoying unwatchable with software deinterlacing. If it wasn't I'd be using it, not reverting back to 9.

Is there any, every very rough, timeframe when this might be back working again in 10?

• I'll tease you with "work on deinterlace has finally been started" .. but while that's great news, deinterlace requires V4L2 driver/ffmpeg code to be imagined from scratch, with more blind guesswork and experimentation than normal. It's also not the highest priority in the queue for the Pi Foundation folks who are looking into it. The main positive is: the only other known attempt at V4L2 deinterlace (which works, albeit with some rough edges) was done by our Allwinner maintainer so that knowledge has been easy to share. I'm not expecting it to be a quick feature .. it will take time to get first-pass working code, and then it's going to take a pile of testing to iron out the issues.

• well ... I don't know in fact what to say...

I understand the difficulties and the need to wait.

I will probably continue with 9.2.8 in my main RPI4 andm and keep LE10 in the RPI4 testing.

For movie watching, netflix, tv series, LE10 is just great.

But for live TV, I've tried to disable DRM PRIME and force (software) deinterlacing, but

but unless I'm doing something wrong, it is not watcheable

there's an obvious lag, and probably the RPI4 is not able do do software deinterlacing with 1080i @ 50hz live tv.

Any sugestions / tweaks ?