Upcoming changes

• Source: Upcoming changes – LibreELEC

• I'm not very convinced from that statement "LE 10.0 will be stable release for Generic..."

I'm running nightlies since some weeks/months, but my bug is still there

- didn't test the lastest nightly though (will do right now [*]), cause I didn't see changes regarding my bug in the git's -

I hope for the LE project I'm alone with this bug, but...

- I tested one 2 diff. machine (both Intel though)

- to me it seems there are obvious some things going on which could (!) crash kodi watching SAT-TV and it - alas - does on my boxes

- I'm waiting on an TvHeadend 4.3 for the new LE Release to test with (it seems it fixed a simular bug moons ago)

- last two chance for me:

1. test with an PCI-SAT-Card (currently DigiBit R1, though that equipment works with TvHeadend 4.3 on LE 9.2.6 flawless ...)

2. test with an linux distro with kodi/TvHeadend

current bug:

VideoPlayer segfault · Issue #19152 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

or

VideoPlayer Segmentation fault

elder bug:

Kodi crashes watching Sat-TV · Issue #17531 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

- update 1 -

[*]

last lines of dmesg (with LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.80-nightly-20210215-e056168.tar):

[ 1856.135674] VideoPlayer[945]: segfault at 20000 ip 0000000000020000 sp 00007f3846ff3578 error 14 in kodi.bin[400000+f7b000]

[ 1856.135690] Code: Unable to access opcode bytes at RIP 0x1ffd6.

LibreELEC:~/0_TMP # uptime

19:18:16 up 36 min, load average: 1.04, 1.02, 0.96

- update 2 -

Tvheadend 4.3 arrived today - thanks CvH - and seems to fixes the above crashes

Edited 5 times, last by GDPR-7 (February 23, 2021 at 8:22 PM).

• Hello all! I have a nvidia and as I underdtand, after libreelec 10, it won’t be supported anymore or did I get it wrong ?

At some point, after LE10, probably LE11 (K20) we will transition LE to GBM/V4L2 and you will either need to transition to another distro that runs X11 with the nVidia vendor drivers, or change GPU to Intel/AMD. No dates, but it will happen.

• At some point, after LE10, probably LE11 (K20) we will transition LE to GBM/V4L2 and you will either need to transition to another distro that runs X11 with the nVidia vendor drivers, or change GPU to Intel/AMD. No dates, but it will happen.

OK. Bad news for le but thanks for your reply!

• OK. Bad news for le but thanks for your reply!

The number of active nVidia users continues to dwindle with time and stats show the vast majority have older cards (using the older of the two drivers we ship) so even if we implemented support for NVDEC and EGL streams in Kodi (could be done, but nobody in Team Kodi is interested in implementing another proprietary nVidia method) this will only benefit the tiny number of installs with the latest cards. In the end, GBM/V4L2 is a big move forwards for Kodi and not having to maintain the 40+ packages needed for X11 support is good news for LE.

• Thank you Team Libreelec for this writeup, I think we all appreciate the details on the state of the various platforms.

Also thank you for beeing bold enough to streamline the number of supported platforms - I think we will all benefit from a codebase which is easier to maintain in the future - even if it means getting rid of some of our beloved older devices...

You can always get a Pi4 for 40 bucks and have good performance and support for the years to come. :)