Posts by BallerShotCaller

Hmm...when I started the system again today and switched from 4096x2160p@60Hz to 1920x1080p@60Hz the issue with the UI remaining black was gone somehow. But now the initial issue with the HDR problem came back again.

Good news is, after tinkering around, I have foud a way where I can definitely reproduce the HDR issue.
    Let me explain the according steps I can reproduce:

1. Booting LE with UI resolution 4096x2160@60Hz
    2. Starting the HDR video --> Works
    3. Stopping the HDR video
    4. Changing the UI resolution to 1920x1080p@60Hz
    5. Starting the HDR video --> Does not work (the invalid format TV message appears)
    6. Stopping the HDR video
    7. Changing the UI resolution to 4096x2160p@60Hz
    8. Starting the HDR video --> Does not work (the invalid format TV message appears)
    9. Reboot LE
    10. Starting the HDR video --> Works

popcornmix These are the steps I did in the exactly following order:

1. I did a fresh install of LE on the Pi5 (Which was working fine, the UI came up without any issues.).

2. Via the UI I did restore the config from the Pi4 with the LE native backup/restore menu (Which also worked fine.).

3. After the config restore, the Pi5 rebooted (The boot logo came up, but the screen remained black after that, but logging in via SSH was possible. So I rebooted via SSH again, the boot logo came up again but after that, the screen still remained black.)

4. Then I SSH'd into the system again, stopped Kodi service, set the default UI resolution to 4K@60Hz in guisettings.xml and then started Kodi service again (After that the UI came up and since then everything works as intended.).

The really strange thing is that 1080p@60Hz does not work anymore now. When I set the default UI setting to 1080p@60Hz, the screen goes black until the resolution goes back to 4K automatically again after confirmation time is up.

OK, this is weird. I just re-installed LibreELEC on the Pi5 from scratch again, restored the config from the Pi4 and now it works as it should. WTF? There's absolutely nothing I did differently than before!

But something strange happened: After restoring the config and rebooting, the screen remained completely black but I was able to boot into LE via SSH. The default Kodi UI resolution was set to 1920x1080p@60Hz, exactly the same as before the re-installation when the Kodi UI was showing up fine. So I tried to set the default Kodi UI resolution to 3840x2160p@Hz which made the screen showing up immediately. Now when I change it back to 1080p via the system menu, the screen goes black again.

I really don't know what is happening here but it's very weird. HDR works now flawlessly but 1080p@60Hz on the Kodi UI does not work anymore.

Well, I can easily live with that as the Pi5 can handle 3840x2160p on the Kodi UI with ease. But REALLY WTF :D

OK guys...I did bite the bullet, unplugged everything and moved the Pi5 near to the TV now. So now the Onkyo receiver is not part of the chain anymore and guess what...it works like that. But I mean wtf...why is the Pi4 working with exactly the same setup when the Onkyo receiver is within the HDMI chain and the Pi5 is not working...

Here are the logs wihtout the Onkyo receiver:

https://paste.libreelec.tv/holy-raven.log

EDIT: Maybe it would be interesting to compare the logs from Pi4 with HDMI port 0 and Pi4 with HDMI port 1 when the Onkyo receiver is involved.

Because on one of the two Pi4 HDMI ports, the issue is exactly the same as with the Pi5 on both HDMI ports. As I already mentioned, on the Pi4 it only works on one of the Pi4 HDMI ports, not on both.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for that input noggin .

In my case, I already tried to switch between 4K standard, 4K enhanced, 8K standard and 8K enhanced modes on that HDMI port. Nothing changed according to that issue.

I have enabled 8K enhanced mode on all ports by default as the same limitations you described counts also for VRR support: Even when the TV's resolution capability is limited to 4K, to make VRR work on Onkyo receivers, in some circumstances 8K Enhanced mode has to be set for that specific HDMI port to make VRR work flawlessly.

My Onkyo TX-NR6100 receiver does actually support all of the following features (from the specs data sheet):

Supports features defined in HDMI 2.1*7 specification including
    8K/60p(4:4:4/12-bit*8, 4:2:2/12-bit*8, 4:2:0/10-bit), 8K/30p(4:4:4/12-bit*8,
    4:4:4/10-bit, 4:2:2/12-bit), 4K/120p(4:4:4/12-bit*8, 4:4:4/10-bit, 4:2:2/12-
    bit) video passthrough, VRR, ALLM, QFT (Quick Frame Transport),
    DSC (Display Stream Compression), QMS (Quick Media Switching)
    and eARC (Main Out); supports HDR10+, Dolby Vision™, HDR10, and
    HLG, and BT.2020 color; DeepColor™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, and HDCP

EDIT: Also, it would make zero sense that it worked on the Pi4 but not on the Pi5 if the issue was one the receiver side.

Okay guys, I tried now a few things:

• Set EDID again
    • Disable all 4096x2160 resolutions
    • Enable/Disable adjust refresh rate on start/stop
    • Disable Deep Colour mode on the LG TV

In the end, what fixes the issue, was to disable Deep Colour mode, the setting chewitt mentioned (thanks for that!). Strange thing somehow as the Pi 4 had the same problem but just switching the HDMI port was enough to make it work, even with Deep Colour enabled. Is there anything I can do to make it work on the Pi 5 with Deep Colour mode enabled or would I have t replace the Pi 5 completely by an x86 mini computer or similiar?

Okay, at least I can imagine now why the TV is showing the invalid format message.

As I already wrote, when playing the video file with Raspi 5, the HDR icon on the TV is popping up but the screen remains black and the TV is showing up the invalid format message. Only the sound output is working.

So for further troubleshooting I enabled the advanced information screen on the TV to see what happens when I try to play the video and I got this:

So now it makes sense the TV is showing up the invalid format message because it only supports up to 4K resolution.

The question now is: Why is this even happening? Why is the Raspi 5 putting out a 5760x2160P@24 resolution when 4K is the maximum possible resolution I can choose in the LE menu settings?

Any ideas on how to go further?

Hmm...when I disable DRM-PRIME completely, then it works, but the video is stuttering af, obviously.

When I enable DRM-PRIME back again and change the render method from Direct-To-Plane to EGL, the video is playing fine, but HDR is not getting enabled.

EDIT: Also, when I choose Direct-To-Plane render method and disable Adjust display HDR mode, then the video file plays fine, but HDR is not getting enabled.

Unfortunately it is a bit complicated currently to move the Pi next to the TV because of my harware setup.

I tried now again with the Raspi Pi 4 instead of the Raspi Pi 5 and yes, it really works without any issues with exactly the same settings, exactly the same hardware setup and by playing exactly the same video file.

Here are the debug logs from the Pi 4:

https://paste.libreelec.tv/holy-cow.log

It also says traditional hdr false , same as on the Raspi 5 debug logs, but HDR works in this case!

EDIT: Also it should not be an AVR issue. It is a HDMI 2.1 AVR and supports HDR10, HDR and up to 8K@60Hz. It's a Onkyo TX-NR6100 AVR with latest firmware installed.

Cheers LibreELEC team!

I just switched from Raspberry Pi 4 to Raspberry Pi 5 by setting up a fresh LE 12 installation on an USB SSD drive and then restored a backup from Raspberry Pi 4 LE installation (I am using the official Raspberry Pi 5 power supply, in case that may matters somehow).

Everything works flawlessly so far except HDR. Whenever I try to play my HDR movie via SMB from my NAS share, the LG TV just shows me an error message which says "invalid format". I can indeed hear the sound of the movie for a few seconds, but just no picture (however, the TV itself shows the "HDR" icon on the right top corner, so a HDR signal is indeed being detected somehow).

I did have exacly the same problem before on the Raspberry Pi 4 until someone suggested to switch the Raspi 4 HDMI port from one to the other and that indeed solved the issue back then (I remeber I switched the HDMI ports a couple of times just to verify that this was the problem because it seemed so strange to me). However, on the Raspi 5, the same workaround does not help. Both HDMI ports are giving me the same issue.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Here are the debug logs:

https://paste.libreelec.tv/rare-urchin.log

Thank you in advance!

Raspi 4 user here. I just tried the latest Omega Beta and all I can say is WOW!

No more tweaking around by overclocking the Raspi 4 CPU for VC1@1080p content!

I know that it's logical but I'm still very impressed about the performance change for the same CPU by just changing the OS architecture from 32bit to 64bit. Especially when you really can see & feel the huge difference live and directly.

Thanks LE devs for all your hard work!

I never had any glitches but there have been indeed a few of unexpected reboots in the last days.

Well, not exactly complete reboots, more a restart of some services I guess:

From watching TV, out of nowhere, a black screen appears and after a few seconds I'm on the LE main screen.

Plus I had a couple of picture blackouts the last days. From watching TV, a black screen for a second or two and then back to the TV program as if there was nothing.

Not sure if this fits your issue titoasi but I'll try do dig deeper into it as soon as I find time and post the logs link here.