Samba shares problem with LibreELEC (Krypton) v7.90.008 [WORKAROUND]

• Probably a better default anyway since most users won't edit their hosts file.

I don't think that this would be a better default (at least not long-term). A local hosts file (if it/an entry exists) should override a broadcast.

Now, if there is a known bug with the SMB client as used by Libreelec/Kodi which can't be fixed easily, making a temporary change to the default as a work-around would be acceptable if it was well documented (in the forum, release notes, comments in the actual file, etc.) that it is a work-around in version xx for a specific problem then it would seem ok.

• I'm sorry but the fix proposed by escalade on post #14 does not work.
    I back to use "/storage/.config/hosts.conf" workaround

I can confirm, that the fix proposed by escalade on post #14 does not work.

Using Libreelec Milhouse #1128 generic - the only solution for me is to edit the host.conf the way outcave said.

• Ok Thank you so much for this post! I have had this same issue for weeks and I thought it was my network connection but it is exactly this. I did go in and rename my share and it worked perfectly. So Probably a Stupid Question but i want to try the fix above.

Format: <ipaddress> <hostname1> <hostname2> Is this the Ip adress where my files are stored (for me it is a server i built that house my files or my odroid c2 address?)
    Is the hostname 1 the name of my Odroid C2 ? (It would be libreelec) & would Host name 2 be the name of my desktop as it is seen on the share? DESKTOP-UU0E2M1?
    Any help is appreciated!!

• I'm sorry but I did not understand.....
    A samba share generally work in this format:

\\Hostname_of_remote\SharedFolder (example: \\nas\movies) (example in Kodi: smb://NAS/movies)
    or
    \\IPAddress_of_remote\SharedFolder (example: \\192.168.1.32\movies) (example in Kodi: smb://192.168.1.3/movies)

Edited once, last by outcave (December 5, 2016 at 9:45 AM).

• Hi OutCave, Still Must be missing something The first image is where I am Editing the file? I cant seem to locate the Storage folder? The Second Image is my workgroup name. The third Image is my Ip address on my Odroid & the 4th Picture is my is what the Smbshare looks like pointed to my Movies files.

Could you possibly show me what my Hosts.conf file should look like with the info I provided? & some guidance on how to get where /storage/.config/hosts.conf is if I am not looking in the correct place? I just remoted in with the Ip of of my odroid but I am not sure if that will work.

The Ip for my my Media server is Picture #5

Any Help Greatly appreciated. After this I should be golden with the Latest release of Kripton it looks Fantastic!!!

• Your hosts file will just say

Code
    # hosts.conf # This configuration file allows you to manually map hostnames to# IP addresses # Format: <ipaddress> <hostname1> <hostname2># Example: 192.168.0.3 openelec openelec.mynetwork # NOTE: do not edit /etc/hosts directly# edit /storage/.config/hosts.conf then reboot

192.168.1.2 DESKTOP-U0whatever
    192.168.1.3 LIBREELEC

Probably the LIBREELEC entry isn't necessary.

It's imporant you use static IPs of course.

Also, when you add SMB share movies to Kodi via the GUI, you can use the IP address manually instead of choosing 'Browse'. This can be more reliable in my experience.

• Thank you for the reply, I will try that when I get home, Can you please give me a little more info on how to get to the file Hosts.conf I can remote in through windows but am not seeing /storage/.config/hosts.conf ( I can put the file in the ConfigFiles directory where the Dummy Host file lives) Will that work? Or is there some other way to get to it. The first screenshot shows what i see when i remote in. Sry guys just learning my way through.

• Thank you for the reply, I will try that when I get home, Can you please give me a little more info on how to get to the file Hosts.conf I can remote in through windows but am not seeing /storage/.config/hosts.conf ( I can put the file in the ConfigFiles directory where the Dummy Host file lives) Will that work? Or is there some other way to get to it. The first screenshot shows what i see when i remote in. Sry guys just learning my way through.

The one that you see in your first picture above is the hosts file. It just doesn't have any entries yet.
    All you have to do is add the entries to it and save (making sure to keep the .conf extension) then reboot

• The host.conf fix by @outclave does work.

As posted here LibreELEC

I had other issues as my NAS is called FileStar and when I pinged filestar I got an 81.x.x.x IP address. adding Filestar to hosts solved the problem.

As I added the NAS via the GUI - I think LE/Kodi should either display the IP of the SMB share or convert it before adding to .kodi/userdata/sources.xml (if not then possibly provide a notification when trying to add a SMB share)

So in the interim.
    1) Add NAS to ./config/hosts.conf
    2) Add the NAS with explicit IP in the gui smb://<IP address>/<Shared Folder>
    3) Edit the ./kodi/userdata/sources.xml

• I have the same Problem with V7.90.009.

My NAS and my HTPC are the same device. But I can't copy some files from my laptop to my smb-shares.

Only the internal storage (update folder etc.) is working, but not the external drives.

I used the Workaround in Post #1 and #9, but they didn't help.

So what can I do?

Edited once, last by saimn (December 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM).

• Hi

I have the same kind of issue, I can access all files on my Pi from Windows PC, but if I copy files from my Windows PC to my Hard drives connected on my Pi, I can only copy files less then 500mb, but it takes forever, any files larger gives an error.
    I can access my Windows shares via Kodi and watch the files.

This worked with V7.90.008, but in V7.90.009 it is not working.

I tried the solutions in the Forum, but didn't work.