Firstly thanks to all Team for keeping LibreElec so upto date, massively benefiting the Slice, brilliant work!
Having just spent an evening updating the couple of Slices we still use around the house (CM3 upgraded from the original CM1 - to great effect) to the latest LibreELEC, I thought I would have a quick look to see if there is any chatter regarding a potential CM4 in the future.
There are a few articles, mostly from the IoT community.
The specs being bandied about read like this:
- Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 @ 1.5GHz will highly plausible replace previous Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 64-bit SoC @ 1.2GHz,
- 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM will become a standard options, instead of fixed 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM,
- Current flash memory (eMMC) options: 8GB / 16GB / 32GB from CM3+ will probably stay the same,
- H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode) might replace outdated H.264 (1080p30)
- and OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics will replace 1.1, 2.0 versions,
- form and factor will stay the same, to provide a possibility to upgrade current IoT applications of CM3 and CM3+
This would be useful, especially the onboard H.265
I would assume zippier menus and library updates (and cleansing)
The game emulators would be pretty decent? (not that I have ever ventured there yet!)
Chewitt usually has a good insider track with the Pi gang, any hints?