Posts by F1Fanb0y

thanks noggin for sharing this, this is really interesting news.

I'd certainly look into this if its easier than getting an rpi4, HVEC decoding and HBR audio would be a great feature update for the Slice and would buy a few more years of use. Dare we hope of 4K output too?

chewitt out of interest can you tell from the stats if people are moving over to LE10? Mine might be counted as a rpi3 (not that it makes much difference from a 100).

Thanks for the quick reply HiassofT , I've followed your suggestions and its looking much more stable now. I cleared the thumbnail folder too, and while I started off with cma320 which was much better it did still suffer a kodi restart. I'm using cma384 now and its looking good so far.

Cheers :thumbup:

Hi,

Thought I'd give LE10 a try on my Slice as the RPI3 is now supported, unfortunatley it seems a little unstable. Scrolling though the movies section I can consistently crash Kodi.

Links for the crash logs http://ix.io/3SlL

I'm also seeing the following on the boot screen (after i reboot or shutdown), not sure if its all connected...

Code
    [TIME] Timed out waiting for device /dev/serial1.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Broadcom sdio firmware update for BCM43430A1
    [111.455310] [813]: Failed to unmount /flash: Device or resource busy
    [111.458831] systemd-shutdown[1]: Failed to finalise file systems, loop devices, ignoring.

No worries if this is not a priority to look at right now I've got my 9.2.8 backup. Maybe it helps with RPI3, maybe it doesn't.

Cheers

The Slice look like it uses a GL830 USB > Sata interface

That makes sense, it certainly looks like a USB drive from the way Libreelec and Kodi present it.

Maybe i will try the RPi2 build

I dont think it will make any difference for you with this issue. it'll possibly be useful when LE10.2 is released.

Maybe it's just a power issue

that would be my guess too, my original drive is rated at 1amp. When you connected it via usb, did you use a seperate power supply? The plug is rated at 3amps so the slice is capable of drawing plenty of power, cant find any real power output details for that chip.

Just ran rpiboot to compare..

theres some differences but looks like its not crashing out. does your CM3 definitley have flash memory, i think you can buy them without.

other than that i would try a different usb port or PC and see if the problem follows the slice or the PC.

Thanks everyone for continuing to support the Slice its very much appreciated.

HiassofT I've successfully booted an RPi2-9.2.6 image, its very much useable and I have been able to test video and audio content from both the local drive and a network source via the ethernet port.

in addition to the dt-blob.bin i also copied:-

config.txt

overlays\ws2812.dtbo

overlays\slice.dtbo

I also added the following to the config.txt

dtoverlay=slice

dtoverlay=ws2812

dtoverlay=mmc

not sure if any of this extra stuff has made any difference but its done me no harm at least.

ws2812 doesnt seem to be working anymore but that might be because i need to install the slice addons.

I have not tested:-

IR sensor working

Analogue Audio & Optical not working

Wifi Dongle working

Radio Remote Control working

Happy to help with any testing in the future, I'll probably keep the RPi2 image until the next update to see what happens!

Cheers

Edit: updates on testing

This is now resolved, thanks everyone for your help.

Despite using the stock config and reseating the CM the black screens continued.

There were actually 2 types of black screens:-

The first was caused by switching on the Slice and then powering up other devices and switching sources while the Slice was booting, this resulted in the TV displaying 'no signal'. This was resolved by creating an edid.dat file using tvservice -d.

The second is still unexplained but was resolved by doing a soft reset using the Libreelec menu. Most of my settings are now restored and the Slice is still working with no issues.

for a few weeks now i seem to be getting an occasional black screen after booting my Slice3. It started after 9.2.3 and still seems to be happening on 9.2.4.

ssh works just fine every single time, the kore remote just seems to just say 'connecting'. Once or twice its occured after booting, the kodi screen has frozen and the remote goes back to connecting.

wondering if anyone can see any clues in the debug log files:

http://ix.io/2u9x

http://ix.io/2u9y

Cheers

Would've thought the Slice's HDMI chip couldnt be upgraded so 4K would never be an option for the slice. If a CM4 did work and offered some feature updates I would still consider an upgrade.

Still use my slice several times each week, and i think its great - just wish it had a power switch. Thanks for looking after it LibreElec team!

Just confirming that running the above python script removes the green led only while it is set to low. When you set it to high again the green returns.

I can also confirm that by writing some extra logging into the ws2812 source code and building a slice image, that the device's 'ws2812_write' function is not called at any point and both of its internal buffers (rgba & pwm) do not show any green values, but only the pattern that was last sent (off or red).

So could some other process be directly accessing the PWM pin?

Thanks ghollingworth, have tried to get raspi-gpio to run but its coming back 'file not found', so maybe i'm missing some dependencies.

what I can use easily though is python, would this code effectively do the same?

Thanks g7ruh I haven't seen it myself for a couple of months, out of interest is your sound via the optical/analog or HDMI? do you use the wifi dongle or ethernet? Do you use the IR to control it with a remote? These are some of the things I've changed around recently.