[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Hello,
    I have a question regarding live TV and external USB Tuners.

Currently I am using my Box (905x) to watch live TV via DVBViewer Plugin - utilizing a TV Server. That works really good.

kszaqs builds have drivers for external tuners, if I understand correctly?! I can`t find any information, which tuners are supported by these. Any hints, where to look?
    And is it possible to use an USB DVB-T2 Tuner and my DVBViewer TV Server together?! Use two PVR Clients simultaneously?
    DVB-T2 here in Germany uses HEVC H.265 here in Germany - that should work, no?!

Help appreciated :)

Edited once, last by puked (April 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM).

• 8.0.1e available to download.

I have to take at least 10 days break. I won't be updating my builds and won't be writing on forum. Please enjoy the builds responsibly and help each other like you always do. See you later. :angel:

Thank's!!
    Coffee on the way... :cool:

• I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue. Can anyone confirm if refresh rate switching is working correctly on their S905X box? Can anyone confirm if it worked in any prior builds?

So far every build I tried did the refresh rate switching perfectly. That includeds several 7.0.x as well as 8.0.1a/c/e builds. 8.0.1b gave me frame skips but switching to 24 fps worked generally.
    Make sure to turn off "sync playback to display" and turn on "adjust display refresh rate to match video - always".

Btw: does anyone using these builds have a LG OLED TV and problems getting 23.976 fps videos to play really smoothly. Because I do. I'm not talking about the typical motion blur but about very little stutters for a short time here and there. First I thought that's because of bad settings I set in KODI on my windows computer. Then I switched back to KODI Jarvis, turned of "adjust display refresh rate to match video" and turned on "sync playback to display". That looked a little weird at first but the stutters didn't appear so often.
    Now on my S905X Amlogic box using Libreelec I tried various builds to get perfect 23.976 fps playback but I think the stutters are back and my TV isn't even capable of displaying at that refresh rate in a proper way. Setting the same settings in Libreelec as I did on my windows computer with KODI Jarvis doesn't give me the same smooth playback at all.

• Btw: does anyone using these builds have a LG OLED TV and problems getting 23.976 fps videos to play really smoothly. Because I do. I'm not talking about the typical motion blur but about very little stutters for a short time here and there. First I thought that's because of bad settings I set in KODI on my windows computer. Then I switched back to KODI Jarvis, turned of "adjust display refresh rate to match video" and turned on "sync playback to display". That looked a little weird at first but the stutters didn't appear so often.
    Now on my S905X Amlogic box using Libreelec I tried various builds to get perfect 23.976 fps playback but I think the stutters are back and my TV isn't even capable of displaying at that refresh rate in a proper way. Setting the same settings in Libreelec as I did on my windows computer with KODI Jarvis doesn't give me the same smooth playback at all.

I have an LG OLED too (65B6V), 23.976p playback works great (at least with 7.0.3.012j - again, 8.0.1e not tested yet), just as well as it does with the RPi2.

Make sure that besides "adjust display refresh rate to match video" in Kodi, "Real Cinema" is activated on the TV. This enables the TV's 120Hz mode and gets you 5:5 pulldown for 23.976p / 24p.

If you need more smoothness than that, maybe try LG's frame interpolation "Tru Motion".

• Real Cinema can output perfect 23.976p, that's true. But along with it comes the well known 24p - judder that makes watching slow moving camera shots unbearable for me.
    With Tru Motion the overall video becomes smoother, I know, but the smoother playback becomes the more I notice these small judders here and there when they occur.
    I have a LG 55EG910V and maybee this is just a huge firmware bug. Using its internal media player fed with an USB source I get about the same smooth playback I get
    with KODI Jarvis on a windows computer attached to my TV via HDMI and "sync playback to display" on.

-- sorry folks, I went a little off topic. Any recommendations you could give me about my setup in a personal message would be appreciated though. --

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (April 10, 2017 at 2:28 PM).

• Hello,
    I have a question regarding live TV and external USB Tuners.

Currently I am using my Box (905x) to watch live TV via DVBViewer Plugin - utilizing a TV Server. That works really good.

kszaqs builds have drivers for external tuners, if I understand correctly?! I can`t find any information, which tuners are supported by these. Any hints, where to look?
    And is it possible to use an USB DVB-T2 Tuner and my DVBViewer TV Server together?! Use two PVR Clients simultaneously?
    DVB-T2 here in Germany uses HEVC H.265 here in Germany - that should work, no?!

Help appreciated :)

Several DVB-T(2) sticks are supported [like the one in my signature] and one can use tvheadend42 as backend en pvr.hts as frontend on one box. There may be other backend/frontend combinations, like VDR. I also run mythtv frontend for a mythtv backend running on an x86_64 gentoo HTPC.

Edited once, last by Nofan Tasi (April 10, 2017 at 2:37 PM).

• So far every build I tried did the refresh rate switching perfectly. That includeds several 7.0.x as well as 8.0.1a/c/e builds. 8.0.1b gave me frame skips but switching to 24 fps worked generally.
    Make sure to turn off "sync playback to display" and turn on "adjust display refresh rate to match video - always".

Thanks for the reply guys. I have tried both "on start/stop" and "always" and neither work, and I'm positive "sycn playback to display" is toggled off.

I have no idea what I could be doing wrong, there aren't many choices, I know I'm using the correct device tree because I have 2GB RAM, but maybe I should be using the one with the "nand" suffix? I'm going to start over tonight from scratch and burn my SD card with w32 disk imager instead of rufus just to try something else different. If nothing works again I'll try to update to the dev build.

• @ essential: You seem to be doing everything right and non of the mentioned should have been an issue. You can try different approaches but I thing the issue is somewhre with your TV or its HDMI input.
    I would try to play with its input settings. Maybee there is a setting that causes the frame rate fixation.

Exp245: Try to update to devel build from post #2,214
    For some people it helped fixing that issue.

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (April 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM).

• Hey guys, having time off but still have Tapatalk. [emoji56]

Please observe if there are any audio issues in the dev build compared to 8.0.1e. I haven't posted any changelog but there is a fix for better fractional frame rates support and a change in audio handling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Please observe if there are any audio issues in the dev build compared to 8.0.1e

I updated from 8.0.1e to dev build after testing it from USB watching a few TV shows. Video playback seams to be a little bit better but I can't say for sure. I didn't have any audio issues using SPDIF passthrough. DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 work perfectly. Next week I'll be able to check on DTSHD and TrueHD.

• @ essential: You seem to be doing everything right and non of the mentioned should have been an issue. You can try different approaches but I thing the issue is somewhre with your TV or its HDMI input.
    I would try to play with its input settings. Maybee there is a setting that causes the frame rate fixation.

Well, the TV I'm using to set up the Beelink (a secondary 24" 1080p Samsung) is just using just a straight HDMI cable, no receiver or pass through boxes. This is also the same TV and HDMI cable I setup and tested several Beelink MINI MXIII's (S905) with Libreelec 7 and everything worked fine.

I'm also at a loss because it seems I've done everything correctly. I'll hook the Beelink up to my main Samsung TV tonight prior to trying anything else. My main setup is a Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi, and refresh switching works fine with that and my main TV. If refresh rate changing doesn't work with the Beelink and my main TV, i'll know it's in the box, since the chain works correctly now with the Shield TV.

Edited once, last by essential (April 10, 2017 at 4:39 PM).

• Hey guys, having time off but still have Tapatalk. [emoji56]

Please observe if there are any audio issues in the dev build compared to 8.0.1e. I haven't posted any changelog but there is a fix for better fractional frame rates support and a change in audio handling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Turn your phone off and enjoy your vacation..... LOL

• The new development build LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-devel-20170409011740-r25791-g1fb98dc.tar Seems to be working well for me, I haven't tested it thoroughly enough to say for sure but it is behaving itself. :D

• Hi guys, is it me or are the last couple of upgrades slower when opening an addon? For example, if I open any addon, it takes about 15 seconds or so to open up the addon menu. In previous versions the menus opened almost instantly. Has anyone else noticed this?