[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Thanks

Tested with a 5.1 TV Show and:

If Kodi is configured 5.1 I barely can hear the voice of the characters of the TV show.. Just when I set it 4.1 works (But I'm sure there is one channel missing)

Also tested the Home Theatre just by itself (libreelec not running) with the sound test and all the speakers/channels are working.

What might be wrong?

Try downloading some dts or dd test filmes from Kodi websites. Check with sources which have proven multichannel tracks.

• Your connection between your box and your "home theater" is via the tv, which uses HDMI ARC to transfer audio. ARC can support 5.1 audio, but only DTS, AC3 and PCM, no "HD" audio, and also many tvs limit the type of audio transferred from other sources via ARC to 2-channel stereo (while they will happily pass 5.1 audio from the internal media player or cable/sat/terrestrial receiver).

You can try to setup kodi to 2-channel output, but allow DTS and AC3 passthrough and see what happens when you play a file with DTS or AC3 5.1 audio. It might just work.

Would connecting the hometheatre via SPDIF directly to the TV Box solve the issue?
    I mean, would I have 5.1 sound?

Thanks in advance

• Any update from people who've tried the latest DEV version? Did it fix the issue with 24hz playback? Or introduce some new issues? I held off updating and stayed at D after hearing peoples issues with E.

I hope that you enjoy your well deserved time off!

Thanks

• I have some anime with fractional framerates (720p x265, not sure if 10-bit - but I don't think so) that still won't play right/at all with 8.0.1e (worked fine with 8.0.1a, and IIRC it hasn't worked with any newer version since then).
    It's a shame since the menus seem smoother with the newest versions, but they're unusable for me if they cannot play fractional framerate videos correctly (not sure if this is only for x265 videos). My player is a Nexbox A95X (S905X, 2/16GB).

I hope you can find a fix once you get back from wherever :)

Cheers,
    Zareph.

• Would connecting the hometheatre via SPDIF directly to the TV Box solve the issue?
    I mean, would I have 5.1 sound?

Depends on your source and how you set kodis audio options. If you enable passthrough AC3 and DTS will be send to your AVR with all their channels.
    SPDIF can only pass through 2 channels in PCM format and that's what you get if you don't enable passthrough because kodi would be doing the decoding. If you then try to manually set the output to 5.1 kodi probably picks the wrong two channels of your 6 channel audio file and that's why you barely can hear anyone speiaking.
    So better stick to enabeling passthrough for 5.1 sound and set the speaker configuration to 2.0 for those cases passthrough via SPDIF is not possible so you would at least get a proper stereo sound your AVR can work with and add dolby prologic or something like that.

• I have some anime with fractional framerates (720p x265, not sure if 10-bit - but I don't think so) that still won't play right/at all with 8.0.1e (worked fine with 8.0.1a, and IIRC it hasn't worked with any newer version since then).
    It's a shame since the menus seem smoother with the newest versions, but they're unusable for me if they cannot play fractional framerate videos correctly (not sure if this is only for x265 videos). My player is a Nexbox A95X (S905X, 2/16GB).

I hope you can find a fix once you get back from wherever :)

Cheers,
    Zareph.

I can't recreate, and actually have improved playback of both fractional and integer framerates on my 1G s905x system. I've tested a variety of x265 and x264 videos (including some 4k stuff).

Can you post a sample and log? Even though kszaq's not here, some of us might be able to help you with more info.

Edited once, last by blinkmxq (April 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM).

• I can't recreate, and actually have improved playback of both fractional framerates and integer on my 1G s905x system. I've tested a variety of x265 and x264 videos (including some 4k stuff).

Can you post a sample and log? Even though kszaq's not here, some of us might be able to help you with more info.

(EDIT: Sent you a PM, blinkmxq)

No idea how to do that, but I can post info about the clips in question (from MPC-HC x64's MediaInfo):

Edited once, last by Zareph (April 9, 2017 at 9:22 PM).

• Re 5.1 sound issue, I too have had issues with the surround sound, I am using the helicopter surround sound test from Samsung, one version 5.1 the other 7.1, same S905X box, same TV , Same Amp, same passthrough, "DTS enabled", worked fine on 8.0.1a, but now can't get it to play, no mater what I change in the Audio settings the amp will not recognize the five channel sound. I going to do a brand new SD card install and see if that resolves the issue. I suspect It must be some sort of quirk with the 905X because I have 8.0.1e running on another S905 box in parallel, (same TV, AMP, test sample) and that plays fine, but it is a mystery why its stopped working on the 905X.

Oops, found the issue, I had turned on "Sync to playback to display" when testing some HDR content prior to upgrading to 8.0.1e, I had not realised that this setting when enabled turns off "passthrough" so now turned off this setting and all good now, surround sound all works as expected.

Thanks to all that offered advice and comments.

Edited once, last by Mobigeek (April 10, 2017 at 8:37 AM).

• For those with the ARC sound issues: Please setup audio as 2.0 (I know that this is counter-intuitive, put please bear with me) and allow ac3/dts passthrough.

• Thanks again for the reply Rootz. I thought I read in the past that the GUI can feel a bit more sluggish at 24Hz but I've never actually tried it myself.

While I'd say about 90% of my content is probably 23.976fps I know there is still some TV content I get that's 60fps. I'd like the refresh rate change to work as intended, not have to force it to always be one thing, if possible. I'm assuming it's not a setting thing at this point.

As I said before, I set up a couple S905 Beelink's (with Libreelec 7) and didn't have this issue. Is this is known issue with the S905X? Is it something with Kodi 17 or Libreelec 8? Anyone else having the issue?

I just installed 7.0.3.012j and booted from SD card ... and can confirm again refresh rate switching is not working. I also installed the skin "Transparency" which with a "z" keyboard control shows the actual resolution and fresh rate to confirm it's not running at 24Hz (so my TV's "info" is correct that everything is playing at 60Hz).

So with both 7.0.3.012j and 8.0.1e for S905X, refresh rate switching doesn't work ... I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue. Can anyone confirm if refresh rate switching is working correctly on their S905X box? Can anyone confirm if it worked in any prior builds?

I'm using a Beelink MINI MXIII II (2GB Ram / 16GB Storge) and I used the gxl_p212_2g.dtb device tree. I have 8.0.1e installed on NAND, and 7.0.3.012j on a SD card at the moment.

• dumb question here, what is the difference between .gz and .tar builds?

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1e.img.gz
    LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1e.tar

First one is a image to create a fresh install to SD card or USB and the second is like a zip file to drop into update folder to upgrade version to version
    [hr]

I just installed 7.0.3.012j and booted from SD card ... and can confirm again refresh rate switching is not working. I also installed the skin "Transparency" which with a "z" keyboard control shows the actual resolution and fresh rate to confirm it's not running at 24Hz (so my TV's "info" is correct that everything is playing at 60Hz).

So with both 7.0.3.012j and 8.0.1e for S905X, refresh rate switching doesn't work ... I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue. Can anyone confirm if refresh rate switching is working correctly on their S905X box? Can anyone confirm if it worked in any prior builds?

I'm using a Beelink MINI MXIII II (2GB Ram / 16GB Storge) and I used the gxl_p212_2g.dtb device tree. I have 8.0.1e installed on NAND, and 7.0.3.012j on a SD card at the moment.

Everything works for me.
    Maybe you can submit a log (look at faq)

Edited once, last by Rootz (April 10, 2017 at 5:38 AM).

• Everything works for me.
    Maybe you can submit a log (look at faq)

Thanks Rootz. Didn't you say you used the "fw_setenv" command to get 24Hz working? Did it work without that?

I'm attaching a log to this post ... it was the only log in the folder. I played a 23.976 video for a few seconds, verified it was playing at 60Hz (59.94 actually) even though "adjust refresh rate" is set to "on start/stop" and "sync playback to display" is toggled off.

I can try that dev update tomorrow if needed.

• So with both 7.0.3.012j and 8.0.1e for S905X, refresh rate switching doesn't work ... I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue. Can anyone confirm if refresh rate switching is working correctly on their S905X box?

Refresh rate switching is definitely working properly on 7.0.3.012j with my S905X.

I have not tested 8.0.1e yet, but I will do that soon.

• 8.0.1c is the only version that works perfect on my 905x 1gb,i'm talking about 4k switching.8.0.1e when playing a 4k file gives me hdmi no signal.any thoughts about this issue? thanks.

Trimis de pe al meu Redmi Note 3 folosind Tapatalk