Posts by veronicasmithen03

Ugh seriously guys.... If you don't even have a clue in regards to how to boot this, how a DTB works and which is the correct one, etc etc... you really shouldn't be in here filling this thread up with garbage. There are seriously hundreds of threads and mountains of evidence to get this working - all the builds work in almost an identical fashion... So once again, if you don't know how to use a build.... why the heck are you here testing pre alpha software...? I mean... if you can't get LE to even boot.... why are you testing alpha software? :S

This is AT BEST alpha software and is going to be FULL OF BUGS. This thread is aimed at users to give actual FEEDBACK regarding issues with the builds. It seems that the noobs flock to these newer builds, thinking they are getting something unique and special.... when in reality it is the exact opposite. You want something that is gonna work flawlessly? Go to the LE 8.0 builds which are STABLE.

Sorry balbes - I know you work super hard to do all this stuff for the community, and feel like you get stuck answering the same silly questions hundreds of times over. I am not trying to sound hostile, but there as been literally 3 full pages of people asking HOW TO BOOT the dam thing.... and literally no feedback regarding actual bugs and problems with the build lol.

I wonder if that's why Kszaq left the dev scene? Development slows to a crawl because people don't know how to read and use the dam search engine and the main people actually ANSWERING questions are too busy being swamped answering the same question 50x a day.

UTFSE!

/rant

Just wanted to add that testing support for this might get difficult. It appears that your TV must support both Dolby Vision on the TV itself, as well as being able to accept Dolby Vision over a separate HDMI device (STB). This seems to be a fairly common thing folks have noticed - they can use Dolby Vision on the TV itself via the built in apps, but the TV won't accept Dolby Vision via HDMI. Not sure if they are two totally different things, as some TV's don't seem to have the limitation. Hoping it's firmware.

Hopefully future firmware upgrades can rectify this for the TV's that suffer from this problem. But as it is now, it's important to verify that your TV will actually play Dolby Vision via HDMI, and not just via the TV built in apps. I hope it isn't a hardware thing or lots of good folks will be pissed!

I can see this causing some grief when testing starts getting serious into Dolby Vision. Just thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't been mentioned before.

FYI the Vizio M+P series will only do 444 chroma when the TV is in "Computer" picture mode - which means you can't have "Pure Cinema" enabled - you're gonna most likely have skaky/studdery video :(

Spent a while figuring that out, but it is mentioned on the rtings reviews that it only supports 444 chroma via Computer mode.

I've been doing my first HDR rodeo, trying to get it working on a buddies M50-e1 (2017). I was eyeing the TV myself but noticed some stuff I don't like - no 444 chroma unless you're okay with shaky video, NO DISPLAY INFO regarding refresh rate or 10 bit, etc - Just a resolution displayed under info. Bright spots in the corners of TV, subpar video upscaler (best is to set Libreelec to 1080p for all 1080p and below video). The TV does scale fairly decent from 1080p signal. Setting your box to 4K resolution for anything other than 4K is generally a bad idea. Let the TV handle 1080p to 4K scaling.

When watching 720Pp/480i/p, I'm using an HTPC I built so I can use VAAPI motion compensated, and lanczao3. I then shrink the image to 85-88% which is what you'd see on a 42 inch (make sure to change the % by 1 or 2 each time, to prevent burn in). That's my secret recipe for 720p and below content for this TV.

has anyone ever archieved autoframe on Android?!

wetek Hub or core (can't remember) as well as the MINIX U1 - only s905 chipset. Last I checked, no s905x device can do it (not sure on s912, but doubt it). Possibly the Ugoos AM1 - I'm running that firmware on my Beelink M18 and the option is there but haven't investigated.

You could always just do the "ghetto method" - manually change the refresh rate to 24p or 30p depending on the source framerate of the video you are going to watch. Not sure if Android has fractional framrates like 23.976 and 29.97 or whether it is "true 24p/30p". YouTube has lots of " true 30p" content. Outside of there, I haven't seen it very often.

But this is only regarding "android apps" inside the Android OS like Netflix, etc.

I think you misread what I said or maybe I just said it wrong so let me try again. When playing a uhd file from my ext4 formatted hdd nfs share everything is fine. However, when pluggingthe drive to my minix u9 and playing the same file it results in stuttering and out of sync audio. Seems like libreelec doesn't read fast enough from an ext4 had which is odd. I keep getting source is too slow to read but a ntfs formatted drive plays his files just fine.

No, he didn't misread. I think you misunderstood. He is saying that using USB at all, has "overhead". With ext4, it is a journaled filesystem and has its own overhead as well in addition to the USB overhead. Playing via NFS from an ext4 partition won't have the same problem because you are eliminating the USB stack overhead itself. Plus the ext4 journal on the NFS server isn't being updated via LAN - that happens on the host PC which has the ext4 drive.

Either format your USB stick as ext3 or ext2, or setup NFS properly. ext4 is not needed unless you plan to keep the files long term - you don;t need the "journal" of ext4, so go with ext3. You area also talking about UHD/HDR content which has extremely high bitrates. Depending on your USB stick, it may not actually meet the read speed requirements regardless of the OS/filesystem you are using. I prefer to use SD cards in a tiny USB2/3 adapter (aliexpress) - I get much more consistent performance compared to gambling with USB chipsets.

These machines are not high power devices at all and cannot be compared to even the slowest of PC's from the last few generations.

Setup NFS and your problems are gone.

What is the current recommended commands to enter for 'RGB FULL' 4:4:4 HDR?

1. Enable RGB Full

2. Enable 4:4:4 chroma for HDR

3. Any relevant HDR settings/commands I have forgotten to list.

Newest changelog says the output_rgb feature was re-added. I tried echo 1 > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/output_rgb but get no display on either of my RGB monitors. Tried adding to autostart and rebooting but same result - no display. Passed colorspace manually via TV but same result (no display after LE bootup). Hopefully I am just missing something.

We should consider adding this kinda stuff to the main page, as the "method" to change these settings has been dropped numerous times, as well the command syntax has changed between releases.

Merry Xmas to everyone!

Guys, is there a way to flash this image directly into NAND of Mini M8S via Amlogic USB Burning Tool? I flashed Android TV image that way.
    The point is I can't make my Mini M8S III boot from SD via the toothstick approach. Any help doing any of these approaches is welcome. Thanks!

If you can't find an older firmware, just flash the multiboot mod that balbes150 provides for S905/S905x/S912(i think).

Format your USB stick as FAT16 (basic FAT). Copy multiboot patch as instructed. Insert USB to box when power is off and boot into android. Go to "System Update" and select local update. Choose the file from the USB that pops up on screen. It will ask you to reboot - allow it. Done.

On some boxes, I had issues getting a FAT32 USB to work, but FAT16(regular FAT) worked on all of them.

I just wanted to add, that this build is working better for me than BOTH alternative Leia releases from AdamG and Raybuntu. Not sure if some of the future patches introduce new issues, but this build has been totally solid for me. I don't use it for much other than a few addons and NFS, but I have had zero framerate issues with the content I have been watching. With both other builds, I notice distinct video playback quirks (specifically with 29.97 framerate stuff).

But just wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding this build. For some reason, this build works best on my Khadas and Odroid C2. I tried RB build on my Odroid C2, and still found the video playback to be inferior. Plus, you have some of the extra options in the settings - the one I can think of off my head is the "center channel volume b00st". Yours and Kszaq's builds both have it, but the others lack it. Love that feature!

You did some great work Gendo! I really love it.

(why is the word 'b00st' censored on the forum?? lol )

Success!

Latest build + included DTB work correctly with dual boot on Khadas VIM (INCLUDING the new Nougat builds!) :)

So for everyone with a Khadas VIM who stayed on Android 6 2017/03/03, you can safely upgrade to the latest Nougat builds and this will work as expected!

Tried with this Krypton build, and both Leia builds - works perfectly on all of them!

Looks like the updated DTB fixed it.

Thank's so much for all your hard work Kszaq! Works great now.

I still have no clue what's the big advantage of LEIA over Krypton. Better picture quality?

If you aren't having any issue with the Krypton builds, I don't recommend updating. The main advantage is the ability to use Netflix and Amazon Video. For myself, on Krypton I have been having issues with certain 30p content displaying OK one minute, then start smearing/blurring the next. My kids only use a handful of things, and because it performs better for that one thing in particular, I have it setup for the kids (no brainer). But this is beta (alpha?) software and there are expected bugs. If you have a real simple use case, or really want Netflix/Amazon video, then go for it!

Just set it up on a separate SD card and see how you like it! That way you don't risk your current setup.

EDIT: And no, I wouldn't say the video "quality" is any better. I usually use SW decoding tho, and haven't tried the HW decoder much. Big selling point is Netflix/Amazon.

Hey, just checked the latest build out on my Khadas, and must say I am really impressed with it. From my limited testing, I found video playback smoother and it could handle the paid WWE addon my kids love watching. It was pretty rough on most Nougat builds on s905x - for some reason my s905x boxes are wayyyy more affected than my multiple s905 boxes.

The content in question that had problems playing on the 8.0 builds is 30p (29.97) 720p H264 (I am using 1080p video source). Using HW decoding helped the issue a lot, but I usually prefer software. When using software decoding, it would play fine for a bit, then start to get blurry and kinda choppy looking. To fix it, I would have to pause and skip forward/back - but sometimes, no matter how much I skipped around, it wouldn't help. Last resort was to restart the video. The 9.0 builds solve this problem for me entirely. I haven't noticed a single stutter or shake or blur. It's been just great!!

Been noticing generally better/more stable video playback on the few limited things I tried. I don't use LiveTV or TVheadend or anything like that so my testing is likely pretty limited.

Just wanted to give you the double thumbs up. I'm using it as one of my daily driver for the kids, and they love it so far. And it can only get better!

kszaq (sorry for nagging you brother!)

1. Just FYI, that the newest builds still have the same boot problem with the Khadas VIM (when using the included DTB). Box powers off @ the Khadas boot logo. Switching the DTB to balbes version, fixes the boot issue.

I am using the latest Nougat Android build on the EMMC (newest Uboot version). Previous to your recent fixes, only way to get it to boot was to be using the old "Vim_Marshmallow_Root_170303" build on EMMC. I haven't tested whether the included DTB works with that old MM version. It doesn't work with the latest Nougat build tho.

Not a huge rush, as we can just use the DTB from balbes. Just worried about the new users who might not be able to figure that out.

2. EDIT: "Reboot to Internal" is not working anymore for the Khadas. It was working in version 8.1.9. I will poke around and see if I can fix it. Might have something to do with running the Nougat build on EMMC and not the super old "Vim_Marshmallow_Root_170303" I mentioned above. Hopefully someone who is running that version, can chime in regarding what does and doesn't work for them.

Have a good day!

EDIT2: Where are my manners! Just noticed Kszaq is taking some much needed holiday time. Hope you have an awesome time good sir. :)

kszaq

The latest 8.1.10-rc1 does indeed work with Khadas, including the newer Nougat roms, but I couldn't get it to work with the supplied DTB - the box would power off upon seeing the "Khadas" logo. Was able to fix it by using balbes DTB for the Khadas from here:

Code
    https://yadi.sk/d/n67MZPwC3KHW3n

Perhaps just upload that DTB to your collection? May as well save yourself some time! (All hardware seems to be working fine with it)

Sincerely, thank you very much for the updated version!

Glad to be running the latest Android with LE again :)

veronicasmithen03 The VIM boot failure will be fixed in my next build.

Thanks so much for working on it Kszaq!! I really appreciate it. In the meantime, here is a temporary fix for others in the same situation. All credit goes to balbes150 for the fix:

ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING LE TO BOOT ON THE KHADAS VIM, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS *EXACTLY*:

1. Erase EMMC clean

2. Flash Android Vim_Marshmallow_Root_170303 to EMMC - *MUST BE THIS VERSION*

3. To flash multiboot - Setup FAT16 SD/USB of 500MB and put these two files on the root of the SD/USB:

Code
    https://yadi.sk/d/srrtn6kpnsKz2/update_uboot/v05

4. Insert SD card with above files when VIM is off. Power on, go to “Update System” and apply multiboot patch. Allow to reboot.

5. Power off VIM

6. Setup LE SD card (kszaq build) with kszaq DTB - BOOT FAILURE

7. Changed DTB to the one Balbes150 supplied above:

Code
    https://yadi.sk/d/PTMTLQPs3Lhhr9

SUCCESSFUL BOOT

The problem appears to be with the DTB, as using the DTB provided by balbes150 worked perfectly. It appears that you NEED the uboot version of "Vim_Marshmallow_Root_170303" - so if you plan to upgrade to a later build (Marshmallow, Nougat), you'll need to flash that version of Uboot to ensure LE will boot.

Hope that helps someone!

On the eMMC or SD card....

Rename boot.ini to boot.ini.broken

Rename boot.ini.update to boot.ini

There is an error in the boot.ini file introduced by the LE 8.1.9 update.

Thanks a million for that Ray!! Worked like a charm.

@Anybody who can understand serial boot logs:

Here is my Kermit serial log of the Khadas boot failure/auto shutdown when booting LE from SD.

Code
    https://pastebin.com/vQEd8REt

I was FINALLY able to boot balbes150 Armbian image from SD after flashing his multiboot patch, but when I try to boot the LE image on SD (with proper DTB), the device immediately powers off as soon as it passes the Khadas boot logo. I am using the last known working build which would be 8.1.8

Here's a Kermit log from the Armbian image I was able to get to boot successfully. I have no idea if there is any relevant info in it but felt I should include it in case there is something that indicates a hardware problem:

Code
    https://pastebin.com/0ZaarB8J

Cheers