[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• I just added 8.0c to my second Beelink Mini MXIII II via SD card and so far it works great. My other Beelink has 7.0.3.012c but I'm a little gun shy about adding 8.0c to the update folder in fear of screwing it up. I only use both boxes to stream movies and TV shows. I haven't so far noticed any difference between 8.0 and 7.0.3.012. You guys on here are amazing. I did revert back to the Confluence skin in 8.0 as I was familiar with that skin and found it much easier to navigate. Kszaq, I have the utmost respect for the work you do here and have sent you some coffee money, enjoy...

Mike

• S905X is (currently) limited to 96kHz due to on-chip DAC, S905 can output up to 192kHz.

OK... So I'm not losing my marbles :P I knew I had seen something, somewhere about this.

It's a really weird downgrade (sonically) for the s905x. I wonder why that is the case? I have more need of excellent sound capability than HDR video at present. Maybe I'll look around for a now really cheap s905!!!
    GeToChKn - my s905x does 1Gb ethernet, so no limitation there.

• OK... So I'm not losing my marbles :P I knew I had seen something, somewhere about this.

It's a really weird downgrade (sonically) for the s905x. I wonder why that is the case? I have more need of excellent sound capability than HDR video at present. Maybe I'll look around for a now really cheap s905!!!
    GeToChKn - my s905x does 1Gb ethernet, so no limitation there.

Says who, no s905x chipset has 1GB ethernet in it AFAIK. Only 100mbs/. It's the specs of the chip.

• kszaq - I'm presuming that the DAC is somehow involved in the transfer of the digital data from the input file (stereo FLAC at 192kHz) to the HDMI interface (PCM) even though there is no actual conversion to analogue? I would have thought the DAC was not involved as the data is always in the digital domain. Having looked at the specs, there would appear to be no actual DAC in the s905.
    [hr]

Says who, no s905x chipset has 1GB ethernet in it AFAIK. Only 100mbs/. It's the specs of the chip.

You're right - mixing up my boxes there. 100Mb/s (It's 1Gb, not 1GB by the way. You're mixing up your SI units!)

Edited once, last by fat-tony (February 26, 2017 at 9:14 PM).

• I just added 8.0c to my second Beelink Mini MXIII II via SD card and so far it works great. My other Beelink has 7.0.3.012c but I'm a little gun shy about adding 8.0c to the update folder in fear of screwing it up. I only use both boxes to stream movies and TV shows. I haven't so far noticed any difference between 8.0 and 7.0.3.012. You guys on here are amazing. I did revert back to the Confluence skin in 8.0 as I was familiar with that skin and found it much easier to navigate. Kszaq, I have the utmost respect for the work you do here and have sent you some coffee money, enjoy...

Mike

I have same box and did this upgrade from 7.0.3.12x to 8.0.0c by exactly that method - you only need the img file, you do not have to reload the tree into upload folder
    The only 'gotcha' I encountered was it stuck on the LibreElec screen on reboot - easy fix, see my post 1288 in this thread.
    In fact you could probably even delete the file up front while you are in ssh anyway and THEN reboot to apply the update.

Re the skin - a shout out for Black Glass Nova skin - been using it on every revision since about 14.

• This is because of a workaround introduced to make both high-res audio and HD Audio passthrough work.

I have still 7.0.2.009 installed on my dads Mini M8S II 2G/8G and except of DTSHD HRA where only the DTS core is passed through everything else works. Users with other boxes didn't have that issue with the same build. Does this mentioned workaround mean that other boxes had that issue too and now it is resolved for most of them?
    Sorry I haven't been following these threads since 7.0.2.011.

Edited once, last by honolulu1 (February 26, 2017 at 11:32 PM).

• A few playback issues.

I have a Windows PC with shares that the Libreelec device accesses using Ethernet GB hard wired. I also have a Sony Smart TV accessing the shares through Plex. The TV uses wireless -5ghz.

The Sony TV streams without any issues what so ever using the Plex to windows share. The same series that I am watching though stutters, stops and then plays catch up several times using the S905 Libreelec installed device.

The video is 720p

• archercj
    As far as I can recall, Plex transcodes the streams it sends to your TV, whereas the same series (unless also streamed via Plex, which is not apparent in your post) may be received by your Libreelec device at a much higher, unchanged, resolution / bitrate, thus causing the buffering that you are experiencing. Incidentally, your Ethernet speed would be 1Gb - not 1GB.

You also need to remember that, if your Libreelec device is only capable of a 100Mb ethernet connection then that is the max speed your Gb Ethernet system will deliver data to that device.

Edited once, last by Poida (February 27, 2017 at 11:14 AM).

• There's something weird going on with my A95X box with this latest update!
    It goes to sleep even though the power saving is turned off, then when you switch it back on, the blue LED comes on but the unit is 'dead', no response to ping or any HDMI output. I need to pull the power and plug it back in!?
    Also does anyone use 'docker'? Not working....
    Thanks!

• Hi,
    is there someone that can tell me how to change the output frequencies (even when it's booting) from 60hz to 50hz?
    The kodi settings seems to be ignored, I don't know why.
    If I play a video it goes from 60Hz to the correct refresh rate and could be ok, but if I use the pvr Tvheadend every time I change the channel it switch to 60hz immediatly and after 3-4 seconds switch to 50hz that is the correct one (I'm in europe).
    Thank you.

Edited once, last by Franco888999 (February 27, 2017 at 12:20 PM).

It goes to sleep even though the power saving is turned off, then when you switch it back on, the blue LED comes on but the unit is 'dead', no response to ping or any HDMI output. I need to pull the power and plug it back in!?
    Thanks!

If you use CEC it is defaulted to
    sleep the box when TV is switched off.

• Hi,
    is there someone that can tell me how to change the output frequencies (even when it's booting) from 60hz to 50hz?
    The kodi settings seems to be ignored, I don't know why.
    If I play a video it goes from 60Hz to the correct refresh rate and could be ok, but if I use the pvr Tvheadend every time I change the channel it switch to 60hz immediatly and after 3-4 seconds switch to 50hz that is the correct one (I'm in europe).
    Thank you.

Franco - I had a similar query regarding default frame rate. As it should be 50Hz for European users (who use TV), rather than 60Hz. See post #509 for details.

The "fix" is to modify the u-boot settings by telnet/ssh into the box and issuing the following:

Code
    fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p50hz; fw_setenv outputmode 1080p50hz

Thanks!

Docker works here fine. I even have the plex media server running as a container

• I have same box and did this upgrade from 7.0.3.12x to 8.0.0c by exactly that method - you only need the img file, you do not have to reload the tree into upload folder
    The only 'gotcha' I encountered was it stuck on the LibreElec screen on reboot - easy fix, see my post 1288 in this thread.
    In fact you could probably even delete the file up front while you are in ssh anyway and THEN reboot to apply the update.

Re the skin - a shout out for Black Glass Nova skin - been using it on every revision since about 14.

DEcosse, so you type exactly this "[font]rm -rf ~/.kodi/userdata/Database/Addons27.db[font]" , either before or after placing the img file into the update folder then reboot ? If I chose to go back to 7.0.3.12x, can I just remove the img file from the update folder and reboot again?

Thanks[/font][/font]