Posts by fat-tony

I am getting crazy... Did a clean instal onto a new SD card and the result is same, surround mapped to the front.

kszaq, could you help us?

I must say that I'm not getting this problem at all on a Venz Pro10 (S905X). I ran all the usual DD, DD+, DTS, AAC, TruHD videos and they play back correctly with all the correct channel placings. AAC is converted to PCM as usual (my AV amp, like many, does not support raw AAC). My multichannel FLAC (PCM) audio files are output correctly also. Would this be an issue with the conversion from DD variants to PCM in your case? I use passthrough for all the high-res audio formats as my amp supports them.

edit - just saw your second post. You seem to be using some kind of pseudo or auto surround mode on your AV amp.

Shut :|

At this point I don't know where is the problem.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

.dsf files play ok on my S905X box. Is there a particular reason why you are storing .dsf files in the first instance? Most PC-based or AML media players need to convert the DSD stream to PCM for transport across the HDMI connection to the AV amplifier. Why not convert the .dsf file to PCM offline and store it as .flac?

I have about 100 SACDs and have them ripped to .iso images using an old PS3. I do have a Sony Blu-Ray player and Sony AV amp which will handle bitstreamed DSD data, so I can actually play the raw DSD data stored on my NAS (as .dsf files) using either the amp or the Blu-Ray. However, any other media player will require to convert the DSD to PCM on-the-fly. Kodi (on the S905x anyway), seems to transcode the data to 192kHz PCM. This is not a usual or recommended sampling rate for DSD as 176kHz or 88.2kHz is recommended for best results.

To be honest, I can't detect (with my old ears and quality of kit) any playback difference between the raw DSD stream and the pre-converted 88.2kHz PCM data or the 192kHz on-the fly PCM data from Kodi. :-/

The advantage I find with pre-converting the DSD data to 88.2kHz flac files for storage on my NAS is that I can tag them easily using standard tagging tools and that I can download them directly to my phone or other mobile devices for mobile playback without any further processing.

If you're using high-end playback gear there's probably a case for storing the .dsf files, but Kodi is going to transcode them, so you would need another means for playing them if you wanted the native DSD sent to your amp. In my case, the method for playing .dsf over the network on the Sony is only via DLNA and that's a very unsatisfactory method as I don't see the tagged data properly. The sound is good but the interface is rubbish!

albertstroh77 - I actually started researching UHD bit rates to see if that "jellyfish" video was a bit of an anomaly and it seems it is. Most of the high bit rate Blu Ray files won't exceed 66Mb/s (about 8MB/s) which would seem to be half the "jellyfish" bit rate. The simple, obvious, solution is to get an ethernet dongle!

[hr]

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure that this would resolve the issue for me. I'm familiar with mounting network shares locally as I do it on another machine but this particular clip (jellyfish) is 528MB in size and is 30 seconds long. This works out at a sustained data rate of 17MB/s which is way in excess of what a 100Mb/s ethernet connection can handle. Typically you might get 10 - 12 MB/s max. I don't know if the jellyfish clip is typical of HDR samples or if it's not compressed properly, but a one hour version of the file would be 60GB in size. This would take about 90 minutes (rough calculation) to download, so you would have to buffer probably 30 minutes before starting to play the file to ensure you didn't "catch up" with the buffer. I have a couple of other 4K VP9 encoded samples which require sustained data rates of about 5 - 6 MB/s which is comfortably handled by 100mb/s ethernet. It's just this particular test clip that won't play for me. I don't yet have a 4k TV, so my interest is mainly in "future-proofing" but the downscaled output on my 1920x1080 TV is pretty stunning, nevertheless. Just like HD TV was when it came out about 10 years ago, before the broadcasters started reducing the bit rates :(
    Perhaps your file data rates are just marginally in excess of your network speed so that you don't have to buffer quite so much?

kszaq - the 8.0.1j build is working great for me on both my S905 (Tronsmart) and S905X (Venz V10 Pro) boxes.

All my stereo and multichannel PCM audio files play back properly at the correct sampling rate (44.1, 48, 88.2, 176.4 and 192kHz).
    All of the HD proprietary audio formats from DTS and Dolby play back correctly, including Dolby True HD which was causing me an issue before.
    Suspend seems to work fine on both boxes also.
    The S905X box is limited by its 100Mb/s ethernet connection, though - it is not able to pull data fast enough from my NAS to play the "jellyfish" UHD sample video, whereas the S905 box with its 1Gb/s ethernet plays it without difficulty. Running a monitor on my NAS shows the S905 pulling 22MB/s (176Mb/s) when playing that particular sample, so you definitely need Gb LAN or fast wifi. The S905X plays the file perfectly from USB and it has the advantage of supporting VP9. Pity they skimped on the ethernet!

Many thanks for all your efforts.

Guys - anyone else having issues with Dolby TruHD playback? I have various test files which include all the usual HD audio formats including DTS variations including Master Audio and the Dolby variants including Dolby EX and TruHD. All are playing back via passthrough to my Sony DN1060 AV amp except Dolby TruHD which is silent. If I set my amp as incapable of TruHD, then Kodi resamples to multichannel PCM, so it's recognising the format but somehow is not passing it through. My amp is certified for DolbyHD playback and it works on another LibreELEC install on an x86 motherboard.

Snip from my logfile below:

Thank you everybody for testing and reporting on development build.

I ask once again: for any playback-related issues you have to post a link to a sample that I can reproduce the issue with.

I have posted 8.0.1f build in OP with some fixes and improvements. As always, I hope there won't be many regressions - if any. I also hope there are no derps in the build - you have to understand that I develop during sleeplessness periods and have no time to test my builds. :)

kszaq - many thanks! I saw your comment on github audio thread and checked back here to see your new build.
    I've done some testing on my audio collection using my S905X box. All bitrates (44.1, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz) both stereo and multichannel are playing back at their native rates through HDMI to my AV amp. These are all FLAC files which are played as PCM to the AV amp. All sound excellent, although I noticed one instance of "ticking" (at very low volume) through the rear speakers on one particular track which didn't happen on a second play. I may spend some time looking at logs later today to see if there is anything odd.
    I did some limited DD and DTS passthrough testing from some music videos which seem to be ok also. I may get some time later to check some HD video testfiles.

Money for coffee sent :)

Tim_Taylor - you're kind of dragging the thread off-topic by comparing DACs. On the Amlogic boards, most users are passing through digital data on the audio side and letting their AV amps do the conversion with their on-board DACs. If you need to send audio to a conventional analogue amplifier, then the hifiberry would have a role.

My setup:
    4k Video = Amlogic box running Libreelec
    Highres Audio = Raspberry PI + hifiberry running Libreelec

Audio hardware of Amlogic isn´t HiFi :rolleyes:

I don't use Amlogic for analogue output. The DAC in my amp takes care of that! You're presumably running analogue stereo via RCA jacks into an audio amp? I have a requirement for multichannel audio, so I need HDMI for that. S/PDIF will only handle two channel PCM.

Amlogix box and hires audio ?
    Don´t belive it´s working fine.

Did You try hifiberry ?

It's working with 6 channel PCM audio at 192kHz. Not perfect as there are still occasional "ticks" happening on the rear channels sometimes. I'm sure stereo will be sorted out with a bit of audio driver tweaking.

Hifiberry? Isn't that a Raspberry Pi build? Won't give me 4k video in the same package. I have two RPi's and they are used for 24x7 duties elsewhere on my LAN. The advantage with the LibreELEC build from kszaq for the Amlogic is that it is pretty much plug'n'play.

ippon - I answered your post in the main 509/509X thread. I'm not sure why you have the issue in Kodi 17 and not in Kodi 16. Either way, you are using the S/PDIF interface whereas I am using HDMI, so results will be somewhat different. S/PDIF carries only two channels so is limited to PCM stereo or compressed Dolby/DTS multichannel. That said, it should accept all bitrates up to 192kHz and there shouldn't be any re-sampling going on. You mentioned DLNA in your posts also. That could be confusing the issue also. Have you tried playing the files directly from the box (on a USB stick or SD card)? My situation is that I play FLAC compressed files from a network server over SMB or NFS. No DLNA used.

Hi fat-tony,

your audio issue seems to be very close to the issue then I have. All 44.1k two channel audio is upsampled to 48k and, if I try to force Kodi to use 88.1k is uses 96k (see my post here thread-1492.html?highlight=44.1). It was solved in one older version (7.0.2.009), but however the fix hat been reverted in all later versions.

You may can try the version 7.0.2.009 and see if it works better for you.

I don't think my issue is the same. My 44.1kHz / 48kHz / 88.2kHz / 96kHz / audio is all played back at the correct sampling rate according to my amplifier display. I only have issues with 176.4 / 192kHz stereo output. When I was using Kodi on android Marshmallow (the Chinese box default), everything was being re-sampled to 48kHz, but once I installed LibreELEC most of my audio issues went away. I think your problems may be with a setting error somewhere in Kodi. I will have a read of your issue and see if I can see anything.
    [hr]

I'm sorry but I don't know how kernel audio driver works and I tinker only with the easiest part. I cannot help with resolving your issues.

What I can tell is Amlogic audio driver is very, very messy and works only in some configurations. It needs fixing or a complete rewrite.

There's still some hope that Kwiboo will find some time to work on driver or someone else with knowledge picks this up...

I did some more testing with downloaded clips. 5.1 audio plays back fine at 192kHz. It's just the stereo audio that won't so I think it's selecting the wrong playback format. Works if I use "fixed" sample rate of 192kHz.

kszaq - what did you change to enable 192kHz playback on S905X?

Thanks kszaq - I did say it was understandable that I got reprimanded, but you get nowhere if you don't ask :P

It's a weirdie though as regards the audio driver all right. It just doesn't seem to work with the Kodi code when the audio stream is identified as two channels above 96kHz but seems ok when it's six or more channels. I'll download some test files and do some more digging!

Some versions ago I introduces changes that might have enabled 192kHz PCM on S905X. :D

I pulled the old version "C" with non-working multichannel audio, new one is at usual place.

kszaq - 192kHz Multichannel PCM now seems to be working on my S905X, thanks! I don't actually have any of my multichannel audio files encoded at above 96kHz, but several of my stereo (2.0) audio files are at 192kHz (or 176kHz), so if I "force" the sampling rate in the Kodi menu to be 192kHz my stereo 192kHz files will play back but my amplifier reports 5.1 audio with the centre and back channels silent. When I have "optimum" or "best match" set in the Kodi menu I don't hear any playback on these files.

However, similar to my S905 I don't have any automatic playback of stereo above 96kHz - only 5.0 or 5.1 audio. Also, there is no option to "force" 176kHz sampling rate which would be used for high bit rate SACD audio (again, mostly stereo).

I tried to raise the issue with the devs on GitHub, but I got my wrist slapped for raising user issues! I suppose that was understandable, but there is little understanding generally of high bitrate audio. Most people are interested in 4k video and the various Dolby/DTS high bit rate audio rather than lossless PCM. Any devs on LibreELEC forums I could engage with? I think this is just a setting issue within the builds for Amlogic as the actual hardware seems to be capable. I have no such issues with LibreELEC on my ION2 generic board but that box is huge in comparison to these little wonders!

I've read your post and I'm sorry but I cannot comment on multichannel or high-res audio for two reasons: I don't know know how the driver works and I cannot reproduce the issue due to no equipment. There's a hope that at least some of the issues will be solved with patches from LE developers.

By the way: I read ALL the posts on Amlogic subforum here but I reply only when I have something to say. ;)

Thanks kszaq - I bought the S905 on the basis of previous posts which said it supported PCM audio in excess of 96kHz which seems to be the limit on the S905X. It's odd that I can configure Kodi to send 8 channels of audio at 192kHz ok, but the PAplayer (and videoplayer) both seem to fail at setting 2 channel audio at 192kHz. I assumed it was an issue with ALSA, but it may well be a problem with the driver as you say. Is there a forum or link you could recommend where I could follow this up?
    I dealt directly with some of the developers on the Kodi forum and supplied sample files several years ago when they were developing the audio engine for linux. My ION2 board player works perfectly at all audio resolutions with LibreELEC, but it doesn't have any 4k video capability which is why I went down the AMlogic route. So near and yet so far!

Sorry if I submit the question again: what does tihs command do? Does it fix the frequency to 50Hz forever or I can still change it by kodi settings menu?
    Thank you for reply

This just sets the initial frame rate to 50Hz. Kodi can override this when playing back videos with different frame rates providing you have set the option.
    If you want the boot up frame rate to go back to 60Hz just run the fw_setenv commands with 60 instead of 50.