7.0.2.008 build for S905/S905X

• Hello again...

Yesterday i tested a second brand new out-of-the-box Mini M8S II Android TV box...

I did the following procedure:

1) Downloaded latest development LibreELEC version LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20161024175728-r23406-g57856b7.img.gz ...

2) Used Rufus to "burn" it on an external SD Card 16GB...

3) Copied file dtb.img to SD Card which is the renamed device tree file gxl_p212_2g.dtb...

4) Started TV box by pressing the recovery button underneath...

5) Started LibreELEC from SD Card...

6) I connected to TV box with SSH and executed command "installtointernal" to install in NAND...

7) TV box restarted, i ejected SD Card...

8) Setup LibreELEC and Kodi...

9) I installed no Addons except BSPlayer subtiltles and added Sources from my NAS for Music, Movies and TV Shows...

10) I played an episode 720p, AC3, MKV from NAS and paused at the middle of the episode...

11) I went to bed without closing TV box, only TV and amplifier...

12) I woke up, opened TV and TV box was frozen... I had to unplug power cord...

I attach the necessary file logs...

Best regards and thank you for your patience and help...

• gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb (this one bluetooth is working)

Never tried gxl_p212_2g.dtb.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm getting probably a newer S905X version of this box. The gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb devicetree seems to be for the S905 model. I'm going to play around with this box when it arrives.

Just to speed some things up and not to make any beginners mistakes. Did you flash it by microSD or USB drive? If by USB drive, which port should I use?

• Thanks Kostaman :exclamation: got it working.

However after shutting down the system and then leaving it a bit and trying to restart the android box I noticed it would nt load up (yes I left the USB stick in!). Instead once it got to the LE logo it had a dozen or so FAILED messages in text down the left hand side and then just got stuck refusing to load properly.

Any suggestions please?

Can you make a signature with the following :
    Nexbox A95X B7N S905X 2gb/16gb

Members reading this post including me don't know your box. I had to go back looking for your previous posts to find it.

I don't know what the issue is with USB Booting and your Nexbox.
    kszaq for this issue.
    Did you try repeating recovery toothpick with the same USB stick to see what happens ?
    I can't help further. Sorry i don't have this box nor do i use USB to run LE. I've only used SD Cards.

• Hi has anyone got emulators running on the latest build ?

Just wondering if its possible as it would save me from rebooting to nand to play retroarch on android to play those snes classics.

Cheers

• Thanks for the feedback! I'm getting probably a newer S905X version of this box. The gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb devicetree seems to be for the S905 model. I'm going to play around with this box when it arrives.

Just to speed some things up and not to make any beginners mistakes. Did you flash it by microSD or USB drive? If by USB drive, which port should I use?

Hi, First time I did nothing I used the dtb that was generated while writing the image on microsd but bluetooth was not working, I did it via microsd, but the usb-port next to HDMI normally would work also I suppose, this means when You ever brick Your device this port You will have to use to unbrick it... ;)
    My device is indeed S905, different than the new devices!
    regards, Jefken.

Edited once, last by Jefken (October 28, 2016 at 11:15 AM).

• Can you make a signature with the following :

Members reading this post including me don't know your box. I had to go back looking for your previous posts to find it.

I don't know what the issue is with USB Booting and your Nexbox.
    kszaq for this issue.
    Did you try repeating recovery toothpick with the same USB stick to see what happens ?
    I can't help further. Sorry i don't have this box nor do i use USB to run LE. I've only used SD Cards.

Won't reboot with the same USB even with the toothpick in - still get FAILED messgaes - only a clean img on the same stick can get it to boot at all. Then power off and it wont reboot again.

Anyone else got any ideas? COuld it be the USB stick causing problems?

• I did that, I only posted full names so I could specify the two device trees...

OK, had no time to play with my A95X (S905 non X, 1GB/8GB) for a few days, but yesterday I had a deeper look nad found that there was something wrong with updating. I made a clean SD install and voila - it works with no problems and passthrough is OK, only wake from standby is shot, but AFAIK this is a Nexbox problem? It seems that putting the update files in the update folder did not update the device tree - maybe I was wrong to put the device tree in the Update folder visible over SMB? Although the device did update to the latest build and erased the update files in the folder. I do have two more questions:

1. Is it OK if I manually replace device tree on SD card (should be the surest way)? Should I do it before updating to the latest build or after?
    2. Any of you guys using an air mouse controller like Mele F10 Deluxe? Some buttons are not working correctly and I would appreciate a solution...

Otherwise, GREAT work kszaq!!!! Great to see someone like you have so much patience with the rest of us! I should also thank kostaman and all the others for sharing, it's a great community!

• 1. Is it OK if I manually replace device tree on SD card (should be the surest way)? Should I do it before updating to the latest build or after?

Yes, you can. There is no difference when you do this, it's not "loaded" in any way to your data partition, it is always loaded from SD card (or internal DTB partition if you run from internal memory). You can replace it any time you want. For example if you replace it to a non-working tree, simply put the card into your computer and replace the device tree to a working one.
    [hr]

It seems that putting the update files in the update folder did not update the device tree - maybe I was wrong to put the device tree in the Update folder visible over SMB? Although the device did update to the latest build and erased the update files in the folder.

You have to rename the device tree to dtb.img before putting it to Update folder. I might change that to pick any device tree with dtb extension to be flashed...

Edited once, last by kszaq (October 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM).

• I have a new series on my NAS.
    This time it is a HEVC one in fullhd.

I know hvec is working for other files.
    Checking the known issues, I checked the bitrate of my series. (See below)

I will get sound as normal, but the picture freezes after a few seconds.
    Is this the following issue? My system still can be controled.

• Opening some high bitrate HEVC files/streams may lead to system lock - this is a bug in Amlogic hardware decoder memory allocation code.

Hi KSZAQ,

I have a Nexbox A95X B7N S905X 2gb/16gb - I am booting from a USB stick - initial install is good but once I power it off it fails to reboot from the USB stick, even when using toothpick method. Used the gxl (2) device tree and the original one but both result in loads of FAILED messages once the LE logo screen has come up.

As I say, works perfectly until I power it off then refuses to come back again. USB stick issue perhaps?

• mergleb Perhaps. Try running it from a different stick or SD card.

Stimmenhotel It can be very short but has to reproduce your issue. Last time I got a sample it was only 20MB but perfect to test.

Tested it again. If 280-350MB is too much, you can tell me.
    Upload should be finished the next 20 minutes. I will put a log in the folder too (MEGA-Folder, check PM can't send you PMs :( )

Here is the folder, tell me if I can delete it.
    MEGA

it is freezing after 4sec everytime.

Edit:
    Just tested another movie ... Same thing. But I think I was able to watch HVEC already. At least I tested to play it, somewhere before .008.

Edited once, last by Stimmenhotel (October 28, 2016 at 6:02 PM).

• For anyone with issues running some videos, like kszaq said, try running them from different storage devices. I had issues with 1080p video + passthrough since the beginning. I tried a high speed SD Card, several USB sticks and even 2,5" external HDDs. All with the same issues.

I then decided to search for the fastest USB stick around (or one of the fastest at least) and ended up buying a 16GB SanDisk SDCZ80. That fixed all my issues. The hardware on the boxes might not be the best and if you match that with subpar storage, it can cause issues.

What I'm trying to say is that, even though said storage may work fine on your other devices, it may not on the box due to poor hardware or lack of power so make sure you try all the options first.

Edited once, last by dastinger (October 28, 2016 at 5:51 PM).