7.0.2.008 build for S905/S905X

• Hi all,

I'm now a huge new fan of LibreELEC and get it running on whatever I can. I have however bought a Beelink Miii ii with the S905X chip as it turns out this was a mistake because the wifi chip is not supported. (I have not received it yet in the mail)

I am just wondering if you guys think the Aigale WiFi chips will ever be supported or should I send the box back??

Thoughts??

Been a while. See Link.

• The Beelink Miii should run as well as a Miii ii shouldn't it. The only difference is the x.

The S905x chip only has a couple of codec formats it can play that the S905 cannot. They are vp9 / HDR or whatever.
    The problem is the S905x fails to play those formats properly due to software not developed properly.
    The other failures are this chip has been tested in various tech sites and it performed pretty poorly against the S905x.
    It is apparently under clocked to 1.5ghz for whatever reason. (Maybe Overheating causing throttle) I am sure in LE the chip will improve in performance however the formats that the S905x is able to play compared to the S905 is of no use to the Majority of users.

• Hi,

Thanks Kaszaq for your fantastic work!

Can You tell me if there are benefits installing on internal, is LE running smoother on internal memory?
    I do have problems to make my USB Geniatech DVB-S2 tuner running, I found this solution,
    OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC Forum - OE 6.95.3 with Geniatech HDSTAR V3 patch. (1/1).
    when I compile from Your sources in wich folders should I put this patch?
    LibreELEC.tv/packages/linux/patches/ or LibreELEC.tv/projects/S905/patches/
    and where do I put those modules?
    I do have problems installing and configuring VDR backend and client.
    Thanks.

Jefken.

• The S905x chip only has a couple of codec formats it can play that the S905 cannot. They are vp9 / HDR or whatever.
    The problem is the S905x fails to play those formats properly due to software not developed properly.
    The other failures are this chip has been tested in various tech sites and it performed pretty poorly against the S905x.
    It is apparently under clocked to 1.5ghz for whatever reason. (Maybe Overheating causing throttle) I am sure in LE the chip will improve in performance however the formats that the S905x is able to play compared to the S905 is of no use to the Majority of users.

Appreciate your info and clarification. Thanks. :)

• For those who have stuttering audio please check 2 things: if audio buffer is near 0% (by pressing "o" key to view codec info: you should see "aq: percentage") and if the dtb was correctly update (try to update it manually).

How can I update device tree on LibreELEC running from SD card/USB drive? Only replace img.dtb on SD card/USB drive with another one or do something else?

If you are running Libreelec from sd the procedure that you are describing is sufficient to update the dtb:) so only replace it.

Edited once, last by anthontex (October 15, 2016 at 9:29 AM).

• EDIT3: WiFi also seems to just die after a few minutes of streaming as reported by kostaman on build 007. It could be hardware since i rarely use or tested WiFi. Maybe others that actually use it can confirm?

Yes, I have this as well.

My upgrade path has been from the test build prior to .006 (IIRC). Therefore I haven't until now had to mess around with .dtb files.

What was the default device tree from this early build, because everything was working great up to and including .007 on my Mini MXIII?

Edited once, last by WileCoyote (October 15, 2016 at 9:58 AM).

• in the release notes it says ' If you use S905X device with TV without HDR support the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video. '

For me I prefer the darker screen, ie HDMI color range limited and not full which is what it appears to be changing. How can I fix it to limited?

Edited once, last by ukdaveuk (October 15, 2016 at 10:03 AM).

• Yes, I have this as well.

My upgrade path has been from the test build prior to .006 (IIRC). Therefore I haven't until now had to mess around with .dtb files.

What was the default device tree from this early build, because everything was working great up to and including .007 on my Mini MXIII?

I have a Beelink mini III 2GB 16GB. I tried a clean build onto a usb stick. That worked. Then I used the update folder, so place new image into update folder, & reboot, I found I couldn't transfer using coreftplite as I normally do, I typed \\libreelec into windows explorer & copied to the update folder that way.
    I then removed the sd card, stuck it into my pc & overwrote the dtb.img using gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_RealtekWiFi.dtb

Once it booted I used coreftplite to copy the keyboard.xml file as mentioned in a previous post to get the back button working.

Can you let me know if you think wifi is better?
    Thanks

[hr]

[hr]

in the release notes it says ' If you use S905X device with TV without HDR support the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video. '

For me I prefer the darker screen, ie HDMI color range limited and not full which is what it appears to be changing. How can I fix it to limited?

Confluence skin, settings system video output use limited colour range?

Is that what you want?

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (October 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM).

• Hi all!

I'm a bit new around this S905X....I have a Mini M8S II TV box (Mini M8S II TV Box (Amlogic S905X) Review – Part 1: Unboxing and Teardown)
    and I'm trying to boot to libreelec via SD card. I followed all the procedures from 1 to 4 in how to install, but it seems that my M8S II does not have a reset button (for toothpick mothod).

How can I get to the recovery mode from android? I tried to insert SD card after android booting, it just asks me for browsing through content. In UPDATE&RESTORE app I cannot find any right option to BOOT TO RECOVERY for installing LE over SD.

can you give me some instructions on how to boot over SD card?

I have the same box and in mine the reset switch is on the bottom of the box in one corner. Hope this helps.
    [hr]

I have the same box and in mine the reset switch is on the bottom of the box in one corner. Hope this helps.

kszaq just uploaded LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.2.008-fix.img.gz

try this and see if it works

Edited once, last by TNS (October 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM).

• Confluence skin, settings system video output use limited colour range?

Is that what you want?

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't appear to be in this build though. I can see it in my pc version of libreelec but not in this build. (Advanced settings shown)

I've even tried change as below in guisettings.xml as below, made no difference. It was set to false originally

Code
    <limitedrange default="true">true</limitedrange>

Edited once, last by ukdaveuk (October 15, 2016 at 11:19 AM).

• @all I have uploaded an updated version of 7.0.2.008 to fix updating device tree when you have LE installed and with fix for unresolved symbol in DVB USB drivers (thanks to Nofan Tasi for pointing this out). To avoid confusion, files have "-fix" suffix. If you haven't experienced issues described above, there is no need to re-update.
    [hr]

Confluence skin, settings system video output use limited colour range?

Is that what you want?

This wont' work for Amlogic as this is not implemented in Kodi. You need to play with sysfs, I don't know yet how this works.
    [hr]

Can You tell me if there are benefits installing on internal, is LE running smoother on internal memory?

The benefit is that you have a spare SD card slot and it can run a bit faster if internal memory is faster than your SD card. It all depends on which box you have - some have very fast eMMC (like WeTek Hub: 130 MB/s read speed), some have slow eMMC or NAND. Personally I prefer to run from SD card as it gives you more flexibility.

You would have to patch media_build - download the patch and replace every drivers/media with linux/drivers/media and place the file in projects/S905/patches/media_build. I have just checked - the patch doesn't apply to latest media_build.

Edited once, last by kszaq (October 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM).

• Confluence skin, settings system video output use limited colour range?

This wont' work for Amlogic as this is not implemented in Kodi. You need to play with sysfs, I don't know yet how this works.
    [hr]
    Do you have anymore info about sysfs? Is there a particular file I can modify?

• hello,

wow, this firmware is so good!
    all ok (without shutdown, but it's a known issue)
    however, has someone tested the spdif, it's not working for me.

i've a S905 box (mxq pro 4k 1gb 8gb)

Edited once, last by jpoilux (October 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM).