LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• Good news to hear HEVC hardware decoding !

What about H.264, will 1080p videos at 20Mb/s be smooth ?

I have no problem with 30+Mbs h.264 1080p50 videos on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ - why would this change with a Pi 4B?.

In fact my high bitrate 1080p50 h.264 files play on a Pi Zero from local storage.

• After a lot of time of searching I found a version of LibreELEC for my RPI. Why isn't link on main website? There is just a message, that you have been working hard on new version.

I installed RPI4 arm 9.1.001 on my Rasberry Pi 4 and everything is very lazy and slow. Moving between menus is not smooth and just ugly.

After some time in Kodi appeared a thermometer in right corner, so RPI is burning.

With Noobs is not possible install Raspbian and LibreELEC, Noobs doesn't recognize LibreELEC image.

Any plans to do version for RPI4 faster and smoother? Or I'm just using wrong version?

This version is unusable with RPI4

• Freestyler :P;(

This is smelling the old frames ever!

You're making a joke at the wrong place, pal.

First post!

Speaking of a company with a label,

Very funny, we already know who you are!

Very weak.

Here goes a message we are back to the game.

chewitt

please remedy this problem.

to ban

For a beginner you are very smart, I was able to install LibreELEC.

Found the image on the internet.

All this without being a member.

Only after burning did he seek support.

You're a lamp genius.:/:idea:

Edited once, last by Fran (June 24, 2019 at 10:58 PM).

• I installed RPI4 arm 9.1.001 on my Rasberry Pi 4 and everything is very lazy and slow. Moving between menus is not smooth and just ugly.

After some time in Kodi appeared a thermometer in right corner, so RPI is burning.

With Noobs is not possible install Raspbian and LibreELEC, Noobs doesn't recognize LibreELEC image.

Tearing in the GUI is a known issue.

It's best to run the Kodi GUI at 1080p rather than 4K as this will result in snappier performance (Settings > System > Display > Limit GUI Size > 1080p).

RPi4 shouldn't be overheating in normal usage, you can try running bcmstat.sh to monitor temperatures.

It's possible that NOOBS needs to update with RPi4 support (guess, as I've never used NOOBS).

Any plans to do version for RPI4 faster and smoother? Or I'm just using wrong version?

This version is unusable with RPI4

Yes, this is the first release on brand new hardware, of course things will improve. As mentioned in the blog, this RPi4 release is essentially an "alpha" release. The feedback from this and subsequent releases will lead to improved RPi4 kernel and firmware support which will be a huge benefit to LibreELEC with Kodi 18 and, eventually, Kodi 19.

To be totally honest I have found the RPi4 version of LibreELEC 9.2 to be entirely usable, and stable. I'm confident the more obvious issues will be addressed quickly.

• crazycat

It is possible to know how the TBS5520SE + raspberry 4 behaves

Connected to a raspberry pi 3 the same does not boot.

Caught in the LibreelEC screen. Kernel panic.

Disconnect the TBS5520SE I turn the raspberry back on to connect the TBS5520SE plus no tuner appears on Tvheadend. (Active crazycat driver)

After restarting dozens of times the tuner resolves to appear.

But I can not restart.

Libreelec reported Fixed Fixed Adjustment TBS 5520SE is no longer true.

LibreELEC (Leia) 9.0.1 MR – LibreELEC

I have already tested all versions possible LibreELEC.

It happens the same, stuck on the LibreELEC screen.

CvH  afl1 You can help with this!

• I have ordered a RPi4. In the meantime I want to prepare for the upgrade.

Right now I am using LibreELEC 9.0.2 (RPi2.arm) on my RPi3. Only official addons and one docker image (domoticz).

The only thing that is not usual is that I am not using SD at all, the boot process is done entirely from my USB HDD (program_usb_boot_mode=1).

Please can you suggest the steps for migration once my RPi4 arrives?

Thanks!

• soyxan USB and network booting are not yet supported, this is on the RPi Foundation to-do list - USB booting should be along soon (few weeks) followed by network boot support. The RPi has 512KB of flash memory so the bootloader can be updated with new features and bug fixes.

Assuming you're happy to boot from SD card it should be possible to restore a backup of your RPi3 installation to the RPi4 system.

• milhouse I will wait for the USB booting then. I was wondering if I can use the following method (I guess it should be faster):

1. Download RPi4 image and manually upgrade my RPi3 with it (update folder).
    2. After rebooting my RPi3 should show the rainbow screen (firmware not right)
    3. Activate USB boot on my RPi4 (when available)
    4. Plug in my USB HDD in the RPi4 and cross fingers

What do you think?

Edited once, last by soyxan (June 25, 2019 at 12:21 PM).

• Currently running an RPi 2 with LE 9.0.2 and was considering upgrading to an Odroid N2 until the RPi 4 came along.

Will the RPi 4 do HDR 10 and HEVC/H.265 at 1080p as well as 4K?

Also, in terms of running Kodi, does the N2 have any tangible benefits over the RPi 4?

• To be totally honest I have found the RPi4 version of LibreELEC 9.2 to be entirely usable, and stable. I'm confident the more obvious issues will be addressed quickly.

Yesterday I tried to play few movies in Kodi in 4k - results are not good, stuttering, freezing etc.

Dolby Atmos and DTS HD MA not worked only DD 5.1 (yes i had enabled passthrough and Dolby Atmos and DTS HD MA capable receiver, this option worked with my S905X).

• Currently running an RPi 2 with LE 9.0.2 and was considering upgrading to an Odroid N2 until the RPi 4 came along.

Will the RPi 4 do HDR 10 and HEVC/H.265 at 1080p as well as 4K?

Also, in terms of running Kodi, does the N2 have any tangible benefits over the RPi 4?

Of course. If it can do 4K it can do 1080p.

Please note this:

"Once the initial excitement and activity from the 4B launch calms down, serious work on HDR and transitioning Raspberry Pi over to the new GBM/V4L2 video pipeline can start."

Major work is needed to get Kodi v19 ready. It will not release until 2021 probably. And making Pi4 new video features work fully on v18 is a waste of time, a dead end. So don't rush to buy it, be patient. Probably 4B+ will be released by the time Kodi v19 is ready for end-users.

• I'd recommend getting the 2GB model for 4k, with 1GB memory is a bit tight ATM (this may change in the future with further improvements to the firmware and video driver).

so long,

Hias

Do you feel there's any value in purchasing the 4GB at this point for just Kodi usage?