[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S905 & S912 devices

• S912 hardware, when using FFMPEG CPU Software decoding like 720p Netflix and Kodi Leia, needs at a minimum Kodi Dirty Regions disabled ie, OFF:

HOW-TO:Modify dirty regions - Official Kodi Wiki

However you then need good chipset cooling, because the CPU and GPU gets a real workout.

Even then I’m not sure it works properly due to the Hybrid GPU drivers used.

In the end it is far simpler to dual boot and run an Android TV ROM with its easy to use 1080p Netflix App on MECOOL, WeTek Play2 or MINIX U9 hardware.

I even have 1080p (HEVC) 5.1 DD+ Audio - Amazon Prime video working with an ATV ROM on the U9.

Like Shoog, I have no problems with LE streaming, either local or IPTV with S912 hardware.

(I do not use LE / CE Netflix)

• thanks for all the information and i checked, dirty regions is already disabled

so, on ATV ROM also DD5.1 will work with optical? My playbar is connected to TV with toslink/SPDIF converter

any recommendation which ROM to use?

sorry for OT....

thx!

Edited once, last by muya (August 18, 2018 at 11:58 AM).

• wrxtasy,

I can't find the source code for the S905 8.2.4.2 latest build. I've looked on Github but can only find your 8.2.4.1 S912 source code.

Is there any way you could provide the source code please?

The reason I ask is that this build is the best (by far) of all the LE and CE builds for my S905 and S905x box. I use the 'sync playback to display' feature (with adjust refresh rate 'off') as I play everything directly from the box via HDMI to the TV. That way my TV stays at 1080p/50Hz and all video/audio is synced to 25p. I don't use audio passthrough. There are zero stutters with your build - other builds have always exhibited random, unpredictable (albeit infrequent) stutter.

I would like to create a clone/fork of the 8.2.4.2 S905 source as I'm interested in having a go at creating my own LE builds. I did it with kszaq's builds - but there was always a slight (unpredictable) stutter with those original builds with 'sync playback to display' turned on, and I could never figure out what caused the stutter.

Cheers.

• No Problems at my Egolggo S905x Box (Amlogic S905X Quad-Core Prozessor, 2GB DDR3 +16GB ROM) with the LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.4.2-S905Test-1529136339 release.

4k HDR is going well. No stuttering!!!. Above all, for the first time, skipping in large 4k files over LAN works without buffering. I had some LE builds tested and there were always problems with it.

Is this due to another memory management? Anyway ... this version works really well for me so far and I'm incredibly grateful!

• Hi im running test2 on my beelink mxiii ii and for the most part its been running great. I'm not running any overclock. Sometimes i find it has randomly frozen but this never happens when I'm actually using it. So it only happens when idle.

The biggest problem is the brightness or contrast is dark, this is especially noticeable in dark scene were you can bearly see the actors faces.

Is there a fix for the bightness / contrast?

Thanks

• Yep I also would not use Netflix streaming using KODI OR Android as it is so well implemented on most Smart TVs now and on my LG in UHD with even Dolby Vision HDR on many moveis and TV series. See no point in struggling with KODI unless you only have an older or non smart TV of course. But UHD TVs are so cheap nowadays even the Super UHD smartr TVs are superbly cheap prices especially if you buy on promotions last years models instead of the very latest. So for Netflix strongly recommend everyone with a Smart TV to run Netflix that way, it is excellently implemented adn far less hassle too than struggling with KODI implementation. Better i feel to keep concentrating on other more useful KODI CE/LE developments that are more useful to most.

• well, not every TV Vendor gets an Netflix certificate, only the big players which sell a lot of TVs and the secret of Netflix who gets certified.

So, in my case and therefore thought a android box would be the best solution....but not S912 and on RK3328 HDMI passthrough is not ready

My first use case was a box for MKV playback und second for streaming.

• Hi guys, can anyone with the Mecool M8S PRO L point me to the combo that worked for you? I have tried the following with little success -

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit.img & gxm_q201_3g.dtb (renamed) files from wrxtasy's github - This combo wont boot, gets stuck on half of the Mecool logo and then stops.

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.1.force.444.10bit.img from wrxtasy's github & gxm_q201_3g.dtb (renamed) from kszaq - This combo boots and I have been able to do a little set up including importing some files from an attached USB HDD, however wifi seems pretty hit and miss and I'm experiencing constant freezes of the whole box which requires the power to be pulled just by navigating through settings menus.

I've read a lot about the freezing throughout this thread, haven't been able to SSH into the box to try this suggestion, but also read that has mixed results. Could it just be I'm using the wrong dtb?

UPDATE:

I did a fresh SD burn of LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img, wrxtasy's latest img combined with the gxm_q201_3g.dtb (renamed) from kszaq, and I've had success! Everything works! Ah man wrxtasy this is the first time I've had full 4k HDR and full HD passthrough audio working with my setup. Switching of resolution and frame rates works great. Thank you for your efforts!

Edited 2 times, last by natebizzle (August 21, 2018 at 7:02 AM).

• I see new image for S905: LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit. I want to ask, is there any solution about the archived subtitles that make LE freeze in this build?

• Version 8.2.5 for S905 crashes trying to play file with external subtitles.

Yes that is correct it still crashes, and it's not only this release it seems but other LibreELEC forks on other Linux platforms:

LibreELEC Kodi 17.6 crashes when opening a file that only has external subtitles using Direct Paths · Issue #510 · croneter/PlexKodiConnect · GitHub

It's under investigation, will see if the Intel Linux guys have any answers.

• It is not the same issue. With wwrxtasy build, (test 1 I think) I use external subs, they didn't crash kodi. I'm using it in a nfs and smb folders. Only when they archived is crashing.

Edit: I just install wwrxtasy build 8.2.5 for 905W, and yes, the external .srt files make kodi crashing, when play the video from smb folder. From nfs folder works fine. But the rar archived files (with the same name as a video file) crashed kodi while browsing in folder, it is before playing the video. Same crashing happened, while browsing in nfs, or even local folder with rar subtittles in folder.

Edited once, last by tolostoi (August 25, 2018 at 9:24 AM).

• It is not the same issue. With wwrxtasy build, (test 1 I think) I use external subs, they didn't crash kodi. I'm using it in a nfs and smb folders.

Correct. I'm using version 8.2.4.1-Test2 on my S905X without any issues. All subtiles are working fine. Box is connected to PC via SMB and I use external subs almost always. Had no crashes at all.

Something must had change between releases 8.2.4.1 and 8.2.5.

• thanks for the efforts to maintain this release.

latest i want to install libreelec from scratch for my tanix tx8 max. this box only boots with device tree gxm_q200_3G for 1000M Ethernet.

however i can not find this device tree anymore. i use the one for kiii pro instead, which boots fine but can not use the remote.

can you reupload a latest version of gxm_q200_3G for 1000M Ethernet?

thank you,

Best regards

• Hi guys,

I just purchased the "T95X". It's description is:

2018 New Configuration SeekEdge Android Mini TV Box with 64Bit Amlogic S905X Quad-core CPU 2GB Ram+16GB ROM EMMC and Supporting 4K (60Hz) Full HD/H.265/2.4G WiFi/100M

Has anyone tried this particular box? I'm trying to determine the combo to get this to run LE.

Thanks...

• Hi guys,

I just purchased the "T95X". It's description is:

2018 New Configuration SeekEdge Android Mini TV Box with 64Bit Amlogic S905X Quad-core CPU 2GB Ram+16GB ROM EMMC and Supporting 4K (60Hz) Full HD/H.265/2.4G WiFi/100M

Has anyone tried this particular box? I'm trying to determine the combo to get this to run LE.

Thanks...

Try all p212_2g dtb's. One of them will work for sure.

https://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/8.2/device_trees/s905x/

gxl_p212_2g.dtb should work. If not try others p212_2g