Posts by ukmark62

I've tried the latest nightly of LE (after a few months hiatus), and to me, hardware decoding has not improved. The same videos that did not play before still do not play and skipping any video still causes the system to lock up.

Does anybody have any ideas if/when hardware decoding will be improved?? I seem to recall BayLibre have been working on it for some time now.

The alternative to LE has very good hardware decoding but that is using a bespoke Amlogic kernel. I would prefer to have it working on mainline kernel - hence my coming back to LE.

Thanks for your hard work.

For all.

If you have run coreelec or an older version of LE. To launch new versions should be upgraded as a universal multi-boot to a new version (script aml_autoscript latest images). Older multi-boot versions have errors that are not compatible with newer versions.

Thanks!

All is working now :)

Follow procedure here (worked for me):- There is a lot of info on the net about the multi-boot procedure but I thought I'd try to write it down in steps.

1. Download following file multi-boot fix.zip:-

2. Extract the 2 files from this zip file - "aml_autoscript" and "aml_autoscript.zip"

3. Format SD card (I used rufus) to FAT32.

4. Copy "aml_autoscript" and "aml_autoscript.zip" to this SD card.

5. Turn on android box and boot into android.

6. Insert SD card and then use "Update & Backup" app within android to "select" "aml_autoscript.zip" and then run "update".

7. Box will reboot and make changes to internal u-boot files.

8. When finished, box should reboot to android.

9. Remove SD card and perform normal install of "img.gz" file to SD card using rufus etc.

10. Change "UEnv.ini" and "extlinux.conf" to appropriate dtb (I have S905x box so I used "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb"

11. Insert SD card and turn on box.

12. LibreELEC goes thru install procedure and then reboots into LibreELEC.

Thanks,

Also tried with another S905x - Sunvell T95m - 2G/8G that also works with older LE. Same behaviour on that box - infinite boot loop.

NOTE:Very first time booting after the install, there is text down left hand side of screen and the final message is "Reached target Kodi Media Center" or something similar (can't recall exact wording). It suggests that everything is good to go, but we just get boot loops.

Maybe the dtb is the cause??

Tried the latest and now gets one stage further with message "UDevil mount service started" on first boot after initial installation, but still get infinite boot loop afterwards.

If the install proceeds normally (which it does), then that would suggest the right dtb is being used. I would have thought if the dtb was the wrong on, the install would not proceed?

Thanks,

Also tried with another S905x - Sunvell T95m - 2G/8G that also works with older LE. Same behaviour on that box - infinite boot loop.

NOTE:Very first time booting after the install, there is text down left hand side of screen and the final message is "Reached target Kodi Media Center" or something similar (can't recall exact wording). It suggests that everything is good to go, but we just get boot loops.

Maybe the dtb is the cause??

Tried new install of 20190712 AMLGX build for S905x - MXQ PRO+ 2G/16G. This box works fine using 3.14 kernel version of LibreELEC from SD card. Box runs nougat android.

Box is shown here:- mxq-pro--android-7-1-1-amlogic-s905x-4k-tv-box-2gb-16gb-385604.html

I am using "meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb". I modified "UEnv.ini" and "extlinux.conf" on SD card to match this dtb and the install proceeded as normal.

However, the box goes into endless boot loop at startup - LE splash, Box logo, LE splash, Box logo etc. Tried pulling plug and rebooting but same results.

The 9.1.001 image would be preferable as it is very stable using kernel v4,4.

There are 2 main issues I have found. The first is getting the correct dtb. These images are designed for SBCs like Firefly or Rock64 etc and not for the cheap Chinese boxes. The second is booting from SD card - I have 2 RK3328 boxes - MX10 and MX10 PRO. The first one works, but the second will not boot from LE from SD card at all. I think the vendors have locked down the boot procedure on that one.

Still if you install to an SD card and boot, you cannot do any harm to your box - either it will boot or it won't - android will be untouched. I will upload the dtb that works for me (it's actually a dtb for an a5x box but it boots my MX10 and I must say that I'm very happy with LE on the MX10 - everything plays back great, frame rate switching works etc). You will probably find that onboard wifi will not work, but I use a cheap USB wifi adapter by realtek and it works. Don't know about ethernet as I never use it.

Try booting with the default dtb from the image you have downloaded - if it does not boot I have attached the one I use. Once you unzip it, you can rename it to for example "rk3328-a1.dtb" if you like, but that's not important. The main thing is once you have burned your image to SD card, is to copy this dtb to the root of your SD card and then modify file "extlinux.conf" in folder "extlinux" on the root of your SD card so that the dtb name matches - once you've burned the image all will be clear.

Then insert the SD card and turn the box on (I did not need the toothpick method for the MX10) and it will either boot or not. :)

dtb is here:- rk3328-mx10.zip

The hardware for MX10 PRO looks identical to MX10 which currently works with LibreELEC. The board is same name - rk30sdk, both are RK3328 SoC, both have 4GB DDR3 ram and 32GB flash. They look identical in every way apart from the cosmetic of the box itself.

Bemused as to why the existing MX10 dtb does not work on the MX10 PRO as I can't find any material differences.

With LibreELEC sd card inserted, the MX10 PRO box boots into Android. If I insert the toothpick with LibreELEC sd card inserted, it boots into Android recovery.

Any ideas??

UPDATE: Sorry it looks like the ram is DDR4 on the MX10 and DDR3 on the MX10 PRO. If that's the case, what do I have to change on the existing MX10 dtb to tell it to use DDR3 ram instead of DDR4? I'm hoping this may fix it for LibreELEC to install.

UPDATE2: I think this might be a non-starter. I have tried installing a Nougat ROM from a MX10 RK3328 I have and the box does boot into Android but with the LE sd card inserted, nothing happens if I use toothpick. Without toothpick, it just boots to Android. I'm guessing Rockchip may have locked down the boot procedure or something.

How did you managed to get the DTBs? this boxes are supposedly to be rooted but the installed superSU doesn't work. Hope you get an answer, I'm interested too! Nice product for the price.

I used es file explorer app to navigate to "/sys/firmware/" directory - then I copied "fdt" (flattened device tree) file to my usb drive. Then took that "fdt" file over to ubuntu vm and decompiled it to the dts file that is attached on the post.

Do you know how to modify device trees to get them to load LibreELEC?? If I knew which parts of the dts to change that would be great as I'm ok with compiling the dts to dtb, and testing it.

Actually, it might be more of a uboot issue.

Hi,

I have a RK3328 box - MX10PRO and have extracted the dtb (fdt) from android and decompiled it to a dts file. Does anybody know which pieces of the dts need to be changed in order for it to boot into LibreELEC??

If I use it as is, my device boots into recovery with that dtb on the LibreELEC sd card. Boots to android fine without the LibreELEC sd card inserted.

Or is there a cheatsheet or guide for changing dts to work with LE?

File is here:- rk3328-mx10pro.zip

I hope someone can help point me in the right direction - thanks.

Nope, still can't get there

This is the boot log from android:

Boot Android

jernej had prepared the image on post #87,specifically for Tanix TX6. You could try downloading the image from that post. I don't think you need to re-copy the SPL binary file to the root of sd card.

Apparently there is difference between TX6 and TX6 mini, because can't boot.

I made a pictures of board:

pic1

pic2

If I only can remember how to extract DT from running android .... :)

Extract zip file here Tanix TX6 H6 Testing.zip and then:-

DD the "u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin" file to your sd card (AFTER) you have flashed the LibreELEC image. This is the modified SPL binary that was needed to get the Tanix TX6 to boot - due to DDR3 RAM. I did this using Oracle VM in Ubuntu 16.04 in a terminal as follows:-

First insert your sd card with the LibreELEC image installed on it.

Then run "sudo fdisk -l" to get the letter assigned to sd card (i.e. b or c etc)

Then run "sudo dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=1024 seek=8"

where X is the assigned letter (i.e. b or c etc).

Then copy "sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dtb" file from the attached zip to the root of your LibreELEC sd card and modify file "extlinux.conf" in folder "extlinux" so that the dtb name matches up and give it a go.

Hi,

Does anybody know the values that can be changed to control colour, contrast, gamma etc in the Rockchip RK3328 system files? I'm happy with RK overall, but I find the picture can be a little flat. I don't really want to change the settings on the TV as I have them setup so that one setting works well for all kinds of devices - it's just that the rockchip RK3328 box I have is lacking some punch in video playback.

I've looked on the net but can't find any pointers. I was hoping I could use "echo" <some value> to some system file(s) and add these to "autostart.sh" on LE in the RK3328 box. That way, only that box would be affected by the changes.

Does anybody know where the settings are stored? Maybe Kwiboo knows?

Thanks for any help that can be given.