[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S905 & S912 devices

• Official Post

No ETA. The amount of remaining work to switch GXBB/GXL hardware up to mainline with an HDMI 1.4 featureset is small, but also dependent upon a limited number of developers who have a huge paid-job workload, so pro-bono work progress is frustratingly slow. There is still no clear mainline path for GXL devices for various currently insurmountable technical reasons (drivers, etc.)

• Indeed, moving external subtitles from smb share to an SD card folder works.

I also found that it can work if you mount the smb shares with ssh in Libreelec (see Mounting network shares) and not Kodi (thanks to @frequenzy and vinbot3000 )

Conclusion: if you experience crash with external subtitles try to mount your smb shares with ssh.

• This version is bad, use this, or look at ext4 version.

Could you please clarify your recommendation?

I got also this error message:

Code
    ERROR: LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.4.2-S905Test-1529136339.tar is not compatible with S905.arm hardware - update cancelled.

Current system: S905.arm

Update system: S912.arm

The box is X96 (S905X). What do you mean on "bad version"? Shall I really try with the v8.2.4.2-Test2-wetekdvb build on this box?

• It's an infrequent and half-understood issue with the half-fixed audio subsystem in ye olde 3.14 kernel. It will not be fixed, because nobody with the competencies to perform major kernel development is prepared to work on that fugly codebase now. The 'fix' will come when we flush that turd kernel and move up to mainline, which is something being actively worked on.

Until the fix, any idea how to fix it if it happens again? I'm not actually sure what it was I did the other day, it would be useful to know.

• Indeed, moving external subtitles from smb share to an SD card folder works.

I also found that it can work if you mount the smb shares with ssh in Libreelec (see Mounting network shares) and not Kodi (thanks to @frequenzy and vinbot3000 )

Conclusion: if you experience crash with external subtitles try to mount your smb shares with ssh.

The problem exist on my internal storage (partition on sd card that LE resized on install), but not with .srt subs (even on smb shares havent problem with .srt) only with archived subtitles .rar. Anyway, I came back on 8.2.3.1from kszaq

• Does anyone know if CoreElec 8.90.5 has all the same fixes/updates that wrxtasy's builds do? I was thinking about jump on that just for the convenience of auto updates.

• Official Post

No Linux kernel has full 4k HDR support. The current 3.14 kernel predates HDR and has been hacked by Amlogic and various community groups to have some resemblance of HDR support, but the test cases it was coded for are limited and bits are missing. Folks over at CE lack the kernel development skills to architect and solve those problems which is why they've flip-flopped between kszaq, osmc and our older kernel in the hope they find something that works. We (LE) are not wasting our time on that quest because we know none of them work properly, and the 3.14 kernel is not really worth the effort. The situation on mainline kernels is also incomplete as HDR and other HDMI 2.0 elements are still being coded. The good (long-term) thing is that those feature are being actively worked upon, and unlike ye olde 3.14 kernel, the code is written properly.

• CoreElec works as well as LibreElec in regard to HDR so there is no reason not to try it out. Versions 8.90.2 and 8.90.5 seem to be the best available versions. CoreElec has some small fixes which have not yet been ported into LibreElec so in some specific use cases (VIM2 dTV board support for example) it is definitely superior.

Until we arrive over the rainbow of mainline kernel, 3.14 is the best we all have and there's no use in griping about that reality or complaining that other have accepted that fact. If you are using a S912 board then you can realistically expect that 3.14 will always be the only option available and that means that eventually Libreelec is likely to stop supporting those boards.The position with regard to mainline is exactly the same within CoreElec and LibreElec, they will adopt it when/if it is ready.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog (July 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM).

• No Linux kernel has full 4k HDR support. The current 3.14 kernel predates HDR and has been hacked by Amlogic and various community groups to have some resemblance of HDR support, but the test cases it was coded for are limited and bits are missing. Folks over at CE lack the kernel development skills to architect and solve those problems which is why they've flip-flopped between kszaq, osmc and our older kernel in the hope they find something that works. We (LE) are not wasting our time on that quest because we know none of them work properly, and the 3.14 kernel is not really worth the effort. The situation on mainline kernels is also incomplete as HDR and other HDMI 2.0 elements are still being coded. The good (long-term) thing is that those feature are being actively worked upon, and unlike ye olde 3.14 kernel, the code is written properly.

Hello chewitt,

Why don't you tell us a bit more about your contribution to LE and to the community? I would love to finally learn how can I feel useful without accomplishing nothing! Instead I spend hours trying to fix what is not working properly and sharing what I learn so can other go further than me.

Seriously, if you start spending all the effort that you waste on complaining about everything and everyone that is really just here for fun and to try to do something useful, in fixing LE problems, I'm sure that in a few days LE would be flawless.

Best regards.

• Folks over at CE lack the kernel development skills to architect and solve those problems which is why they've flip-flopped between kszaq, osmc and our older kernel in the hope they find something that works.

Display Spoiler

You are just a tiny bit of a Jerk aren’t you.

FLip Flop all over your attitude mate, pull ya head in.

• Hi,

i'm using Libreelec since i think appr. 2 years. Came originally from openelec. And libreelec is workling flawlessly on my three RPI devices.

Now i bought a new 4k HDR television and for this i also ordered a beelink GT1 ultimate.

Box is now booting to librielec, but i don't have nameresolution up and running on it. I can set a DNS-Server via static, i can set a DNS-Server via DHCP and in both situations i can't do a ping to a host via dns. When i do the same via IP, all is working. I also used 3 different dtb.img Images, and only one boots the box correctly. in the meantime i also tried coreelec, and it's the same!

Had someone similar problems, and managed it to solve it?

thanks in advance,

br

Herbert

• wrxtasy The LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.4.2-S905Test-1529136339.img.gz (or .tar) do not light the LED on my MiniMX (S905) 2G/16G boxes. Is there a later one that does? The LED lights as the box boots up, but goes out once LE begins to boot

He didn't say "others are inferior":

No, he inferred it with:

Folks over at CE lack the kernel development skills to architect and solve those problems

More childish than arrogant, agreed. At the very least, nothing to do with the title of this thread

These forums are supposed to be for LE matters, not someone's personal issues with Folks over at CE

Edited 2 times, last by Poida: Back on topic - issue with test build (July 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM).

• Hi,

just want to give you a feedback. The problem was a WLAN-Bridge which hadn't configured a DNS server nor a default gateway because it doesn't need it. It only bridges a LAN Client to another LAN via WLAN. And DHCP Server is a Firewall on the other LAN side.

Gave the AP-Client a DG and a DNS Server and after this also NSlookup on the Libreelec box was working. It seems that the WLAN-Bridge stops forwarding DNS-Traffic when it also has no DNS Server,.... I don't know why, but i can see DNS-traffic on LAN side of the Bridge and on the other side on the other LAN DNS traffic doesn't appear,....

br

Herbert