[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S905 & S912 devices

• Yes it does for 23.976Hz, but not for the rare, even 24.00Hz sources.

I respectfully disagree, I like my sources being playbacked with their native refresh rate. :)

Cinema movies are shot at 23.976fps which is known as 24p. Exception are UK movies shot at 24.000fps and Kodi interpretation is the same for both. It will switch (should) your TV to 24Hz. It does in my case. I checked it like minute ago.

If it doesn't on your setup make adjustrefreshrate overrides in advancedsettings.xml (advancedsettings.xml - Official Kodi Wiki).

The downside of 24Hz if flickering which is more or less visible in some scenes. Especially bright.

Not even cinemas really show 24fps. The shutter rotates so actually you are watching at 48Hz or 72Hz.

More Hz = less flickering.

So if don't wanna hurt your eyes buy a 48Hz, 72Hz or 120Hz panel TV.

I personally like to set 50Hz and let Kodi to match the rest. Basically it's played like PAL standard (all Europe) and it's smooooth :) And no flickering! ;)

Edited 3 times, last by yatoya (January 23, 2019 at 8:11 PM).

• Hi Devilkin

Well that device is certainly not the best these days. Newer higher spec boxes with more memory, dual band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet port, Bluetooth etc are now availabel and so very very cheap that it is a no brainer not to upgrade.

However I can suggest with your box that you try a different method to switch your box so it can boot from the SD card or USB stick (recommend SD cards and be aware that USB stick method usually only works from only one of the available USB ports on your device). The toothpick/pin in the reset hole does not work with all devices. So use the Terminal Emulator method as that may well work for you as it usually always does fro most devices. Get hold of the Terminal Emulator APK from say here

Download Android Terminal Emulator APK 1.0.70 from APK4Fun - APK4Fun and install the downloaded APK file into your Device in Android in the usual way say via a USB stick. With your specially prepped LE KODI bootable SD card in the device's SD card slot run up the newly installed Terminal Emulatot app whilst in Android and in the command screen that pops up simply type the command "reboot update" , that is without the quotes and a single space between the two words. Then be patient and your box should soon boot off the SD card into LibreELEC. No need to repeat this process of course as now your box is configured to always boot from the bootable SD card if it is present, so suggest you leave it in always.

For your information to return to the default Android firmware then select Boot to Internal from the LibreELEC KODI onscreen shutdown options, and this will simply boot into Android without needing to remove the SD card which will obviouolsy result in wear and tear. Then to return to LibreELEC KODI from the Android home screen you simply hold down the red power button on your remote until the Power Off &/or Restart message appears onscreen, and then hit the remote OK button. This will shut down the box, so simply hit the remote power button again and it will boot back up into LibreELEC KODI, as long as you did not remove the special SD card of course. This certainly works with Android 6 and 7 , but not tested it with earlier versions. Hope that helps.

• Read my initial question again, it's all there. Your comments do not help at all.

This is not about flicker or personal reception of refresh rates.

LE should play 24.00Hz content without frame skips.

It does so if the menu refresh rate is switched to 24.00Hz beforehand.
    It does not if the menu refresh rate is at 60Hz.
    It used to work with a 60Hz menu refresh rate in older builds.

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot contribute or understand the issue.

• Read my initial question again, it's all there. Your comments do not help at all.

This is not about flicker or personal reception of refresh rates.

LE should play 24.00Hz content without frame skips.

It does so if the menu refresh rate is switched to 24.00Hz beforehand.
    It does not if the menu refresh rate is at 60Hz.
    It used to work with a 60Hz menu refresh rate in older builds.

Please refrain from commenting if you cannot contribute or understand the issue.

jd, I answered to your question exhaustively and I understand it very well :)

Your problem is not related to build number. If that would be the case everyone here would report it.

Your Kodi installation may be corrupt.

1. Did you try make fresh installation?

2. Did you try to set refreshrate overrides in advancedsettings.xml?

If 1 is not fixing the problem make step 2.

Create file advancedsettings.xml and paste this:

Copy advancedsettings.xml to Userdata folder.

Adjust display refresh rate to match video in Kodi settings must be enabled.

Restart your box and see if that helps.

Edited 3 times, last by yatoya (January 24, 2019 at 11:29 PM).

• Hi Devilkin

Well that device is certainly not the best these days. Newer higher spec boxes with more memory, dual band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet port, Bluetooth etc are now availabel and so very very cheap that it is a no brainer not to upgrade.

However I can suggest with your box that you try a different method to switch your box so it can boot from the SD card or USB stick (recommend SD cards and be aware that USB stick method usually only works from only one of the available USB ports on your device). The toothpick/pin in the reset hole does not work with all devices. So use the Terminal Emulator method as that may well work for you as it usually always does fro most devices. Get hold of the Terminal Emulator APK from say here

Download Android Terminal Emulator APK 1.0.70 from APK4Fun - APK4Fun and install the downloaded APK file into your Device in Android in the usual way say via a USB stick. With your specially prepped LE KODI bootable SD card in the device's SD card slot run up the newly installed Terminal Emulatot app whilst in Android and in the command screen that pops up simply type the command "reboot update" , that is without the quotes and a single space between the two words. Then be patient and your box should soon boot off the SD card into LibreELEC. No need to repeat this process of course as now your box is configured to always boot from the bootable SD card if it is present, so suggest you leave it in always.

For your information to return to the default Android firmware then select Boot to Internal from the LibreELEC KODI onscreen shutdown options, and this will simply boot into Android without needing to remove the SD card which will obviouolsy result in wear and tear. Then to return to LibreELEC KODI from the Android home screen you simply hold down the red power button on your remote until the Power Off &/or Restart message appears onscreen, and then hit the remote OK button. This will shut down the box, so simply hit the remote power button again and it will boot back up into LibreELEC KODI, as long as you did not remove the special SD card of course. This certainly works with Android 6 and 7 , but not tested it with earlier versions. Hope that helps.

• I used the same procedurethat RayW quoted above - to no avail on a Beelink GT1 Ultimate.

Int the Terminal emulator before the reboot update command I had to use the su command or it would bypass the SD card or USB for booting.

(The reset button while booting would also not work)

Not sure why this was necessary.

• Hi wrxtasy,

I am extremely happy with what you brought to these builds and I have been using your latest (?) S905 build for quite some time now:
    LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz

There is one thing I noticed only recently, because I rarely watch that kind of content:
    Refresh rate switching to 24.00Hz is flawed. I am pretty sure it is being displayed as 23.976Hz, because frame skips occur.
    These skips do not occur if I change the UI resolution to 24.00Hz beforehand.

Hi

I have the same feeling about 8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit, on a S905X running at 1080p.

I just downgraded to 8.2.4-Test, and 24.000 seems to be correctly displayed :)

• THanks again for the build, I was about to sell the Minix U9 and get something else for it, because I find Android OS based software media players usually garbage. They usually have plently of issues and some stuff doesnt work like support for all HD audio streams, correct color space etc.

This is brilliant idea to have on "Video process, Audio process, System Information" screen (when OPTION button on TV remote is pressed) more information such as Color space, Chroma subsampling, Colour depth...

• Hi,

I'm using s905 build 8.2.5 chromas 422 10 bit on my leelbox which has 1gb/8gb configuration

found strange issue that my wireless internet speed is faster (50 mbps) than my wired lan internet speed (30 mbps), my isp gives 100 mbps wired for my laptop and firestick and other s912 android box

Usually the wired speed should be faster than wireless but its reverse in my case, can someone please advise how to fix it

I tried the older builds and other dtb images but nothing is helping, i need atleast 80 mbps using wired for good 4k streaming

Please help

• my hardware configuration is AARCH64 processor rev 4

amlogic

revision 020b

• I have the same feeling about 8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit, on a S905X running at 1080p.

I just downgraded to 8.2.4-Test, and 24.000 seems to be correctly displayed :)

Thank you very much for testing this! :)

Is it safe to falsh back to that build (I use internal)?
    Do you have a link? It's not on wrxtasy's google drive...

• Hello!

Thank you very much wrxtasy for your builds! I'm using 8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit on a S905W box since a few months, and it works very good after some tweaks.

I would like to experiment with backporting some patches to this otherwise stable (for me at least) version, but I could not find all of the sources and patches used to build it.

I could just find that Kodi was built from this commit: Commits · wrxtasy/xbmc · GitHub

But I could not find the rest of the sources and patches for this specific build of LibreELEC (LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz).

Could you please point me at them?

I apologize if these sources were already published somewhere, but I could not find them...

Thank you very much, and keep up the fantastic work! :)

Cheers!

M.