[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• therefore the change to remove "installtointernal" does not affect me?

I was concernend that the emmc driver gets removed.

Therefore this change only applies to "new" installs, not updates?

That would be my understanding. The "installtointernal" is a one shot deal and after that everything points to the emmc as if it was just another sd card.

I think its a shame this feature is been dropped, these boxes are fairly useless as Android media servers so I cannot see any reason to want to keep the Android.

Shoog

• I don´t think so.

So much users having big trouble with this feature.

I think someone will probably develop another solution to get it onto the emmc.

Worked fine after two passes for me and recovery using USB Burn tool makes it low risk.

Shoog

• I think someone will probably develop another solution to get it onto the emmc.

Worked fine after two passes for me and recovery using USB Burn tool makes it low risk.

Most users don´t know how to use USB burning tool to recover

What is the advantage ? - Don´t have to buy a sd card ?

Performance ? - I checked it out

So why ?

• advantage is that I dont have to buy SD cards for my 8 devices.

Every SD card is about 10€, the devices costs are at 30€.

If I have to I will buy some, but its nice to use the space which is there without additional hardware.

Thanks anyway for these great community builds

• I think someone will probably develop another solution to get it onto the emmc.

Shoog

Until some Newbie ticks the "Force Erase All" or some other ungodly option and completely wipes HDCP keys from a dual boot MECOOL box or a more expensive MINIX U9. Those are not recoverable.

It happens often and that is why it's not "low risk" for everyone.

• The only opposition comes from newbs or have-a-go merchants who have so far been lucky.

2 GB cards are so ridiculously cheap it's crazy to risk bricking a device just for being a cheap-skate /shrug

Anyhow, this is kind of off-topic since it is how it is. Those that find ways around this decision at least can't come back crying when things go wrong :cool:

• advantage is that I dont have to buy SD cards for my 8 devices.

Every SD card is about 10€, the devices costs are at 30€.

If I have to I will buy some, but its nice to use the space which is there without additional hardware.

Thanks anyway for these great community builds

Sdcards do not cost 10€, an 8gb one can be bought for half of that and your telling me your not prepared to spend that?

It wasn't that long ago that you had to run a full x86 PC to run Kodi which would cost far more than your 30€ box and it would be wise to remember that.

I have no interest in supporting this function as it causes far too many issues.

A common problem I see with users who have LE installed to internal is that they are running very old DTB's and the problem with that is that they will not automatically update, kszaq added an identifying flag to later DTB's so during the upgrade process the latest one would be flashed but this does not happen if you are using a really old one.

Now this causes an issue when a user flashes an image with a completely different kernel which requires a different DTB, the internal partition layout is stored within the DTB and if this has changed... which it has with the official LE kernel... then the device simply won't boot for obvious reasons.

So now comes another problem, I forewarn users before hand your DTB must be up to date before updating and I will still get the odd few users proceed with the update without updating the DTB and come onto the forums and cry that their box will no longer boot and cause panic for other users.

Then comes another problem for the users who have read the notice about updating the DTB is that they use the forums as a Q&A rather than reading and ask how to do it which infuriates me every time that people can be so lazy because I can spend hours producing builds to then find people can not spend just a few minutes of their time to look up an answer.

Lastly for that user that can no longer boot, like you they couldn't be bothered to spend 5€ on an Sdcard and have no way to instantly return their box to a working device and for the lucky soul who does have one... again like other users they return to using the forum as a Q&A and their hand has to be held to walk them through the entire repair process.

So I hope you can see just part of the reason why I have removed this, you may think it is a bad or a poor decision on my part but I couldn't care less because I am fed up of the constant trouble it causes.

• Pelican

If you, or someone else really wants this feature back, all you have to do is create your own fork, add the patch/script back and build it.

Then you can open your own community build thread and maintain it as you see fit.

• I completely understand and agree with you except this last sentence.

Why do make effort just for ruin something good? Remove the script is enough to keep away the newbies or less experienced users but give the chance for those who know what they do.

I'm not ruining anything, this is something kszaq added to his builds and I only added to mine due to user requests and this was in my early days of doing releases before problem users started using my releases.

Running from an Sdcard is just as good, it's hidden, it won't brick your device if things mess up and it's easy to install to.

There is not a single negative to running from an Sdcard except of course having to spend 5 euros.

If you have the knowledge you can add the script yourself without having to make your own build and install to internal and if you can do that then I think you deserve to be able to run from internal :)

• Running from an Sdcard is just as good, it's hidden, it won't brick your device if things mess up and it's easy to install to.

There is not a single negative to running from an Sdcard except of course having to spend 5 euros.

If you have the knowledge you can add the script yourself without having to make your own build and install to internal and if you can do that then I think you deserve to be able to run from internal :)

Hi GDPR-2 I think you misunderstood me. I am not concerned in spending a few extra bucks. All I wanted to know is if I am able to update my Boxes which run from emmc to newer Builds.

It was unclear to me if you only remove the script (which is no problem for me) or if you remove the emmc Code to adresse EMMC storage at all, which would mean I brick my devices in updating.

I like it better to donate from time to time some money to kodi/libreelec/ special devs than buying things which is not 100% necessary at the moment.

For new installs I will use SD cards.

Now I have a master USB Stick from which I installed all Boxes with identical Settings / netflix and Amazon shortcuts. Yeah I know I can clone this stick to SD cards. But everything is running fine ;)

• GDPR-2, just for info for latest test build

UHD IPTV channel on my FullHd TV looks over-saturated and all menu and OSD brightness is too high. It's not HDR, but H265
    In 8.90.5 and before it had no such issue.

If you need any logs for this issue just say

• If you have the knowledge you can add the script yourself without having to make your own build and install to internal and if you can do that then I think you deserve to be able to run from internal :)

Sorry then I misunderstood you when I read you will do things to make your builds unable to run from emmc without build the whole thing from source.