[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• Is a new version alpha or stable version in the works?
    Or are there nightlies of this project or something?

No version should be considered stable.

I have refrained from nightlies as there is not enough changes in LE on a daily basis to make this worthwhile.

The current schedule is a new build every 2-4 weeks.

• I know it’s off topic but apology in advance, I want to purchase ” HP t610 Thin Client AMD G-Series “ for watching movies (x264 x265 10 bit 720 to UHD and Netflix) I want to listen suggestion only for all guy form this great forum, hp thin client is better or andriod tv box ( I have nexbox 2g 16g S905X) is better for that purchase which I mention above. Sorry for bad English.

• I know it’s off topic but apology in advance, I want to purchase ” HP t610 Thin Client AMD G-Series “ for watching movies (x264 x265 10 bit 720 to UHD and Netflix) I want to listen suggestion only for all guy form this great forum, hp thin client is better or andriod tv box ( I have nexbox 2g 16g S905X) is better for that purchase which I mention above. Sorry for bad English.

I have the t620 and linux driver support is crap. If you're going to run kodi on windows it might be better but I would stick with the s9xx boxes for kodi

• belaid38  zbigzbig20 new devel version for you to try here.

Some important notes before flashing for you guys and some others.

The kernel in this dev image has been changed from kszaq/8.2 to official LE/9.0 pre-alpha, this is a big change and something I have held off from changing to for a couple of reasons which are listed below.

If you have LE installed to internal this image will not boot as the partition layout in the DTB is different. You can still install to internal but you will have to boot from SD and then re-run the scripts and if you go back to another image then you will have to do the same again.

Devices with NAND will not be able to run LE from internal memory due to the LE kernel having no NAND driver.

There may be frame drops/skips with certain content however I can't say with 100% certainty that this will be the case because it has been some time since I last tested it.

DTB will require updating or your box will not boot however this should be done automatically as part of the upgrade process.

If flashing this image, I very HIGHLY recommend making a back up.

If your device boots following the upgrade then I expect this to run just as well as any other release, I make these notes just so you are forewarned. DO NOT complain, if your box goes bang!!

• This is a testing version and you should expect some hiccups. If your not good with alpha releases and willing to suffer a little then don't use with this version. That being said it is a very stable testing version. Thanks to all who contribute. If it doesn't work for you don't complain just use another version that works or at least be an adult when you make a comment or request. These guys don't get paid for this work they do it because they love it.

• DTB will require updating or your box will not boot however this should be done automatically as part of the upgrade process.

For me, it seems the upgrade did not update the DTB automatically, because my S905W device no longer boots (not complaining, this is a test box, no worries here!).

The Coolest - you helped prepare a DTB for my Abox A1 Max's LCD panel - can you help to create a new DTB using the new format required by this update? Or point me to the directions on what needs to be updated in the DTB file, and I can try myself using dtc?

It also looks like the releases/dtb folder linked in post #1 is currently available. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.

• DTBs need to be refreshed again which I will do later on today, the Tanix dtb was renamed recently, that's why yours didn't update. All other boxes should update fine from 8.90.4 (I hope).

• I would REALLY appreciate some help with a PCM sound problem I'm having. In fact, I will be happy to PayPal anyone who provides a solution or a patch with a $25 donation via PayPal for their trouble (please let me know if this is against the rules). I am at my wits end.

My entire library is encoded with Opus audio at 48khz. Playing any movie with Opus outputs as PCM, as you'd expect. According to Kodi and the log file, it is reading the stream at 48khz. The receiver is only getting 32khz, and is producing noisy (clipped) audio as a result.

Kodi's CodecInfo showing 48khz: http://imgur.com/hBp9NWI

Yamaha Receiver showing 32khz: http://imgur.com/jZ8dFNP

I'm attaching a full debug log from playing a video with 5.1 Opus audio, but here is an excerpt showing that the audio stream created is 48khz:

Code
    02:41:52.909 T:3743523664  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86077, channels: 6, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
    02:41:53.381 T:4081054544   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::SelectALSAChannelMap - Selected ALSA map "FL FR LFE FC RL RR NA NA"
    02:41:53.419 T:4081054544   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Input Channel Count: 6 Output Channel Count: 8
    02:41:53.419 T:4081054544   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Requested Layout: FL, FR, FC, LFE, BL, BR
    02:41:53.419 T:4081054544   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::GetChannelLayout - Got Layout: FL, FR, LFE, FC, BL, BR, UNKNOWN1, UNKNOWN1 (ALSA: FL FR LFE FC RL RR NA NA)
    02:41:53.419 T:4081054544   DEBUG:   Channel Count : 8
    02:41:53.419 T:4081054544   DEBUG:   Channel Layout: FL, FR, LFE, FC, BL, BR, UNKNOWN1, UNKNOWN1

Interestingly, the problem happens with audio set to "Fixed" as well.

• With audio set to Best Match and input file of 48khz, I get 32khz at the receiver
    • With audio set to Fixed @ 48khz and input file of 48khz, I get 32khz at the receiver
    • With audio set to Fixed @ 96khz and input file of 48khz, I get 64khz at the receiver (with stuttering audio)
    • With audio set to Fixed @ 192hz and input file of 48khz, I get 128khz at the receiver

So there is clearly something not lining up between what Kodi is requesting and what the Minix is outputting.

I don't know what else to look at. Again, I will send a $25 donation to anyone who can provide me a fix or a patch to resolve the issue. My next step is to try to save up for an NVIDIA Shield, but I know that has it's own issues. I'd rather not have to do that!

Thank you,

-KJack

• dapharsyde

Hi,

The source for the A1 Max DTB is still not in the repo yet, so it has to be built manually for now.

You'll need a few tools and a linux machine to do it, or you can send me the DTB image that is on the box now, and I'll update it for you.

Attached the DTB from the new devel.

Thanks for the DTB file - after updating with this file, the device boots up again.

In order to get my LCD working again, it looks like I'll need your help to recompile your updates to the aml_fd628 module against the new kernel. Attempts to insmod the file you provided me earlier result in an unknown symbol error.

• This is probably a stupid question so apologies in advance. I have a KI Pro and its website says it has "eMMC" does that mean it doesn't have NAND and will work with the new build installed to internal?