(Implemented) Pi-Hole

• One year later, but I have a question regarding this addon. I've been trying both Pi-Hole and AdGuard Home these past week to see how they worked. I kind of like AdGuard more, since I can use Cloudflare for DNS, but I have an important issue and it's that Chrome (or chromium based browsers) won't block ads on Android. I can see apps blocking ads, other browsers (the one that comes with MIUI) also do block ads, but Chrome and Samsung browser didn't.

I guess it's some kind of misconfiguration on my part? I'm using your Pi-Hole right now (which blocks everything) but I would really like to use AdGuard. Running this on some chinese TV box with libreelec installed, in case it helps.

• One year later, but I have a question regarding this addon. I've been trying both Pi-Hole and AdGuard Home these past week to see how they worked. I kind of like AdGuard more, since I can use Cloudflare for DNS, but I have an important issue and it's that Chrome (or chromium based browsers) won't block ads on Android. I can see apps blocking ads, other browsers (the one that comes with MIUI) also do block ads, but Chrome and Samsung browser didn't.

I guess it's some kind of misconfiguration on my part? I'm using your Pi-Hole right now (which blocks everything) but I would really like to use AdGuard. Running this on some chinese TV box with libreelec installed, in case it helps.

Did you set up adguard with block lists?

• Hi,

I installed Pi-Hole in my Raspi2 following the instructions of the 1st post (LinuxServer.io + Pi-Hole addons)

Then, I have updated in the router the DNS server with my Raspi IP address. I've just filled the primary DNS, I've tried to set null in the secondary one, but the router replaces nulls with 0.0.0.0.

In the Pi-Hole dashboard, I've set the DNS to use the Cloudflare ones.

I have updated the default blocklists, and the dashboard indicates that it is blocking 93k domains.

I can navigate throw Internet, and the webpages are being resolved fine, but I don't see any blocked request in the dashboard...

Can anyone help me please?

• For those that want to run docker manually from SSH CLI in its native form, it works fine, I've been using it a month.

Happy to post how when I get home, it's pretty simple.

I just installed the LinuxServer.ios addon version of pi-hole and it work, but I noticed that it is outdated (v3.3.1) :(

Can you please post how you did, FeFiFoFum ?

• Hi, i have bought AdGuard VPN and i have a raspberry Pi4 with libreelec system. Is it possible to run this VPN using Pi-Hole addon for libreelec? And if yes please (if its possible) send me some "step by step" instruction how to do it. Im kinda newbie in this softwares.

• The answer is yes. The way to do this is harder to tell because I am not familiar with Adguard VPN and I assume it will modify the routing and DNS of your device. Basically it is about starting the PiHole service and redirecting all DNS requests to it.

• The answer is yes. The way to do this is harder to tell because I am not familiar with Adguard VPN and I assume it will modify the routing and DNS of your device. Basically it is about starting the PiHole service and redirecting all DNS requests to it.

But it will be possible to connect like game console or RPi to this VPN or all network devices need to be connected? I dunno how it works...

• Hey Iridium!

Great work to containerize Pi-hole on LibreELEC.

I just installed fresh LibreELEC yesterday on my new HP T610 and it seems like settings in GUI are not written in ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/docker.linuxserver.pi-hole/settingx.xml

I manually modified some of the values and managed to start Pi-hole only when I modified E_pass, when I messed up let's say with P_port2_EN and changed value to "true" unfortunatelly it did not work. Moreover when I simply deactivated/activated addon the container didn't get up again. Like got broken or someting.

It just attempts to start for a few seconds and then crashes.

The only way to get it fixed is to:

1. Uninstall Pi-hole (in GUI)

2. Install again

3. remove settings.xml file in userdata folder so it gets regenerated, then manually edited password value

4. activate in GUI

Any idea why clicking in Kodi GUI and changing settings in addon settings is not reflected in userdata's settings.xml?

• Sorry if I did not answer your question exactly. I have never used an addon to install pihole because it is very easy to run this SSH command once that does the same thing:

• Hi Elonesna!

Yeah, I'm fully aware of it. I actually luuuuv Docker and that is no problem for me so I will deifinitely run it from CLI and add it to cron/.bashrc however would be nice to get it done via Kodi GUI cause this is the way it is supposed to work, right?

Not complaining at all. I can handle this. Just reporting that using latest version of Kodi (vanilla version with only LinuxServer.io) and it did not work. Would be nice to look into this for people who are not familiar with Docker CLI at all.

• To install 'pihole' from the command line you don't have to do anything special, just run the SSH installation command once. You don't need to use 'cron' or any other command. My 'pihole' has been running non-stop for over a year and is automatically updated via the 'containrrr/watchtower' docker container (my general updater for all my containers that I manually launch once a week and run only once).

• Sorry if I did not answer your question exactly. I have never used an addon to install pihole because it is very easy to run this SSH command once that does the same thing:

I tried this but was getting below error:

docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?. 

See 'docker run --help'.

But managed to find the solution by following below link and then running modified code also mentioned below:

1. Follow the initial part of this guide: https://cwilko.github.io/home%20automat…ome-Server.html

Summary of what to do:

(I) SSH to your LibreElec.

(II) edit the /storage/.kodi/addons/service.system.docker/system.d/service.system.docker.service file and add -H tcp://0.0.0.0:2375 to the docker daemon call. The file will look something like this

Code
    ExecStart=/storage/.kodi/addons/service.system.docker/bin/dockerd -H tcp://0.0.0.0:2375 --exec-opt native.cgroupdriver=systemd \                                                                  --log-driver=journald \                                                                  --group=root \                                                                  $DOCKER_DAEMON_OPTS \                                                                  $DOCKER_STORAGE_OPTS

(III) Reboot and check by running below command:

Code
    docker -H 0.0.0.0:2375 run hello-world

2.After this run modified code as below:

docker -H 0.0.0.0:2375 run \  

> --name=80-pihole \  

> --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \  

> -e TZ=Europe/London \  

> -v /storage/.config/dockers/pihole/etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d \  

> -v /storage/.config/dockers/pihole/etc-pihole:/etc/pihole \  

> -p 80:80/tcp \  

> -p 53:53/tcp \  

> -p 53:53/udp \  

> -p 67:67/udp \  

> -p 443:443/tcp \  

> --restart=unless-stopped \  

> -d pihole/pihole

Unable to find image 'pihole/pihole:latest' locally

latest: Pulling from pihole/pihole

5e5e708ee1f9: Pull complete

18e864d5b529: Pull complete

4f4fb700ef54: Pull complete

99da377af4ef: Pull complete

762a48762b21: Pull complete

aad4d858aa80: Pull complete

728c4834d05e: Pull complete

81310dda8cb0: Pull complete

9509a272df5c: Pull complete

Digest: sha256:7ca50487539eb222c2e989ceba361e8b733bbd51ec8c01db56f7bd81b5ae370b

daeed1254e7097173acd9a6c4a437d215e4fc0bfde2a4322d89f2c48dd5af0eb

For setting the password, I used below command:

docker -H 0.0.0.0:2375 exec -it 80-pihole pihole -a -p 

Enter New Password (Blank for no password):

Edited 5 times, last by VectorQuant (April 3, 2022 at 10:09 PM).