Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• wrxtasy, am I correct in thinking that you achieved a 15-20 Degrees C temperature drop by re-using the existing heatsink and replacing the thermal paste?

That being the case, why oh why don't the manufacturers use better quality thermal paste in the manufacturing process.

Would you recommend fitting a bigger heat sink when replacing the thermal paste?

• I'm looking at Wetek Play2 or Wetek Hub and I have some questions about them.

I would not use the Hub for Android at all. 1GB RAM is too limiting - but perfectly fine for LibreELEC.

Both the Play2 and Hub have nice unofficial Android TV ROM's to dual boot into that gives you 1080p Netflix & more DRM Apps.

Android Kodi Krypton works pretty well, apart from VC-1 and the usual Android Krypton TV deinterlacing issues, the Play2/Hub does proper refresh switching too with HD audio passthrough.

As already stated Amazon Video = Fire TV, NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV's - anything else is unreliable or simply will not work at all. Do not even try.

No real idea about the Fire TV gen 3 - Kodi will definitely not be as good. Amazon even removed some audio passthrough options.

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or OSMC Kodi Krypton are most bug free Krypton versions getting about at the moment that will give the the best bang for the buck on AMLogic S9xx hardware.

I currently use an Apple TV 4K for anything to do with Apps and some light MrMC (Kodi Jarvis use) and then [insert S9xx dev. box here] for full blown Kodi Krypton with all the bells and whistles. Great twin box combo that pretty much covers everything.

• wrxtasy, am I correct in thinking that you achieved a 15-20 Degrees C temperature drop by re-using the existing heatsink and replacing the thermal paste?

That being the case, why oh why don't the manufacturers use better quality thermal paste in the manufacturing process.

Would you recommend fitting a bigger heat sink when replacing the thermal paste?

The S905 I was modding was actually the tiny WeTek Hub, that does not get much Airflow thru it anyway. Temps are much more stable now.

Fast LE box now I've also cranked up the CPU Govn'r & GPU MHz with a wee dtb.img mod and connected a Xiaomi Mi Box BT remote.8o

Probably manufacturing costs and assembly time have a lot to do with poor heatsink fixturing.

I would recommend getting a bigger heasink that covers up the adjacent RAM chips if possible when refitting, for example this box could do with a longer heatsink if users are currently having heat issues: ( The WeTek Hub already had a longer heatsink)

A7-S905X-Board-Large.jpg

• I have 2 Xgody TX3 PRO boxes, took them apart to verify they have amlogic 905w soc chip, 1 Gig RAM. I have tried both toothpick method & "reboot update" from the command line in android, neither will boot from the sd mem card or either USB slot. I'm using the default dtb that comes with the image distribution. Has anyone had luck getting this box to boot LE from a mem card or USB? Thanks.

• Yes it can be done. S912 boxes work well for 4K HDR with HD Audio. I suggest one with Gigabit LAN (1000M).

Many thanks!

I guess I couldn't wait long and took delivery of a MINIX NEO U9-H this evening. Now the goal it to run LE natively on the box, replacing Android (or whatever came with the box). Is this the guide to follow:

[HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905D/S905W/S905X/S912 device

Also, how risky is it to flush the internal memory and running LE directly off the box?

-San

• This player from Sony can handle 4K, Netflix with only 100BASE-TX ethernet and W iFi IEEE802.11b/g/n.

Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player - Black

Ultimate 4K HDR viewing experience with HDR10 and Dolby Vision* support for ground-breaking detail, colour and brightness.

Broad range of video and music content support, including Dolby Atmos and DTS: X soundtracks, DSD, FLAC, MP3

Access a world of (4K) Streaming Services through built-in Wi-Fi

Slim body for convenient placement in TV furniture

15d4b5b9-4b9a-4b09-a274-722dd8fa3ab9._SL300__.jpg

What is their OS ?

• Chaps - can anyone please confirm if the Mecool M8S PRO L box can be powered on/off using IR whilst running LE?

Do all available IR buttons work as expected running LE on these Amlogic boxes? (I've had lots of issues with info/context menu buttons not being recognised in KODI running on android)

Only just reading about these amlogic boxes but I think I'll jump on the Mecool M8S PRO L....

Any help is appreciated!

• I bought this KM8 P TV Box from the above link and just received it after 3 weeks of shipment. Anyway, I already prepared a USB boot disc using the dd utility as mentioned in the LE wiki - installation. When I inserted a tooth pick into the AV port, it just went in all the way, i.e. no reset button inside. I also booted into the Android OS, did a factory reset, and it just booted back into the Android OS. So, has anyone had some ideas how to proceed to install/boot LE on this device using a USB memory stick?

• I bought this KM8 P TV Box from the above link and just received it after 3 weeks of shipment. Anyway, I already prepared a USB boot disc using the dd utility as mentioned in the LE wiki - installation. When I inserted a tooth pick into the AV port, it just went in all the way, i.e. no reset button inside. I also booted into the Android OS, did a factory reset, and it just booted back into the Android OS. So, has anyone had some ideas how to proceed to install/boot LE on this device using a USB memory stick?

Install the following Android Reboot Update Android App and try running that:

details?id=me.thomastv.rebootupdate&hl=en