Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• I have buy MECOOL M8S Pro+. I would install libreelec. Its possible USB port to boot the box or only sdcard? Thanks

New M8S Pro+ boxes hav no reset button so....

From the S905X Install thread: (you may need to issue a "su" command before reboot update)

• Terminal Emulator: boot to Android, insert SD card/USB drive with LE, install Terminal Emulator app (either from Google Play or APKMirror), run it and type reboot update. Your box should reboot to LE.
  • Out of shear negligence, I killed my Mecool M8S Pro L, I really miss it. Debating about purchasing another one. I have the Pro (non L) and running LibreELEC on it, with the tvheadend and Emby servers running on it. So, it is just functioning as a server right now.

• zmokkie wrote: Hi, i have read a few stories about boxes (mecool m8s pro, mini m8s ii) being sold recently with different hardware than before. What is now the best bang for buck box? I have the x96, mini m8s ii and the beelink mini mxiii (all s905x) and all the boxes work perfect with libreelec. But I bought the boxes a time ago and I am afraid that if I buy another one (I want to give my dad and sister a kodi box) I get different hardware with a lot of issues.

You are correct there, with these boxes, you never know what you will get. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get........ haha

You are correct there, with these boxes, you never know what you will get. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get........ haha

What s905x box for around the 40 euro do you guys advice:

x96 2gb 16gb

Mecool m8s pro plus 2gb 16gb

Mini m8s III 2gb 16gb

Or any other box?

Build in wifi is not that important to me..

Thanks!

• zmokkie , why do you want to limit it to the 905x boxes? Yes, the Amlogic S912 are a little more $$, but they are sooooo much faster.

Out of more that two dozen boxes I have purchased in the last 4 or 5 years, the Mecool M8S Pro L, is/was the best box by far that I have every used. I even have an expensive Zidoo X9S, that is collecting dust, because I prefer to use my Mecools. I also have the Mecool M8S Pro PLUS (S905x), and Mecool M8S Pro.

I am running LibreELEC on my Mecool M8S Pro (S912), and use it as my tvheadend and Emby servers.

• zmokkie , why do you want to limit it to the 905x boxes? Yes, the Amlogic S912 are a little more $$, but they are sooooo much faster.

Out of more that two dozen boxes I have purchased in the last 4 or 5 years, the Mecool M8S Pro L, is/was the best box by far that I have every used. I even have an expensive Zidoo X9S, that is collecting dust, because I prefer to use my Mecools. I also have the Mecool M8S Pro PLUS (S905x), and Mecool M8S Pro.

I am running LibreELEC on my Mecool M8S Pro (S912), and use it as my tvheadend and Emby servers.

Because I thought that the s912 boxes were not faster. And I have created a libreelec skin/build and micro sd card image that I can use on all my s905x boxes and the boxes for friends and family. Is there an easy way to transfer my build from a s905x box to a s912 box?

• Because I thought that the s912 boxes were not faster.

Gibbs rule #51: Sometimes You are wrong

I own a 912 box since a few weeks, it´s faster and I saved money because S912 box has Gb network, so I don´t have to buy an USB network adapter.

Your own build of skin etc. -> backup & restore from other box

Beelink mini mxiii-ii S905X 2/16 Gb / Beelink mini mxiii-ii S905X 2/32 Gb / Vorke Z6 S912 3/32 Gb

Sabrent USB 2.0 Gigabit Ethernet [ASIX AX88178 Chipset]
    Denon AVR X3300 - Philips 55POS9002 TV(4k HDR)

Pioneer SC-LX501 - Sony KD-55xd8505 TV(4k HDR)

• I dont need LE9 unofficial. I use Libreelec 8.1.10 on my s905x boxes with the youtube, smoothstreams and some movie addons I think I can not name it here. I have a lot of dutch spoken movies on a external 1TB harddrive that I want to use on my box. For these purposes, is the s912 box faster than the s905x box?

• and some movie addons I think I can not name it here

You don´t need a S912

Beelink mini mxiii-ii S905X 2/16 Gb / Beelink mini mxiii-ii S905X 2/32 Gb / Vorke Z6 S912 3/32 Gb

Sabrent USB 2.0 Gigabit Ethernet [ASIX AX88178 Chipset]
    Denon AVR X3300 - Philips 55POS9002 TV(4k HDR)

Pioneer SC-LX501 - Sony KD-55xd8505 TV(4k HDR)

• If i buy a 912 its only for gigabit port.

I´ve a Mini m8s III 2gb 16gb with a gigabit adapter and works great!

- Box Android Mini M8S II (Amlogic S905X, 2GB RAM, 8GB ROM)
    - Ugreen USB Ethernet Adapter Usb 3.0 2.0 [ASIX AX88179 Chipset]
    - LibreELEC 8.2 (Nougat Kernel) builds aimed at devices based on Amlogic S905/S905X SoC.

• What is the best s912 box at the moment with good stable 5ghz wifi and stable libreelec performance?

There plenty of reviews on Youtube, it's all a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure if I can post a link, so please remove it, or tell me to remove it

NUC with LibreELEC Controlled by Logitech 350

Beelink MiniMXIII S905 2G/16G 1000M Lan LibreELEC from NAND

MyGica 510b Now gone to the Great Media Centre in the Sky

H96 Pro (S912) SPMC LibreELEC from USB

• S912 + LE != stable

So what is recommended for LE 9 final on Micro SD AND Android on nand usage ?

I´m using both Versions because of Amazon Prime, Spotify and some gaming, LE for Live TV with DD 5.1

I dont want to buy a expensive device (Vero4k/Wetek/Minix stuff)

My old Amlogic stuff was fine until Kodi 17.

Mecool M8s pro + (S905X)

Mecool KI pro (S905D)

Mecool M8s pro L (S912)

Something else ?

Waiting for X ?

• LE 9 final? :)

RPI3 1GB, MINI MX-G 2GB, Mini M8S II 2GB (7.0-devel-20170430185848-r23797-g7772046), H96 Pro 3GB (8.2), H/K AVR 161S, Philips 55PUS8809/12 4k tv
    pel.hu