[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• Internal dvb tuner isn't supported in testing6. johngalt fix your sources, you have to update linux patches for nougat. Look in my branch

LibreELEC.tv/projects/S905/patches/linux at 8.0.2-testing6 · afl1/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Also update dtb for KI Pro, there is fix for IR.

KI_Pro-nougat.dtb

Thank you, I updated links to that dtb, and added that patch. I missed that commit prior, otherwise patches/sources were good.

Edit: "testing7" uploaded with that patch and the bbc dvb-t fix added back.

Edited once, last by johngalt (June 24, 2017 at 10:15 PM).

• Just downloaded your file, and I'm "sorry" to say... There is no macroblocking or flicker of any kind. The picture is perfect.

LOL, don't be sorry! ;)
    Thank you for testing!

I also don't see any macroblocking or flickering, then it could possibly be a TV thing.

Thank you for testing as well.
    A "TV thing" does not really makes sense to me, since everything looks perfect when I use the TV's internal media player via USB.

...however there's no need to force 4:2:2 which goes against the default behavior of the box (switching to 4:2:2 at >=50hz).

The default behavior of the box should be to switch to 4:2:0 at >= 50Hz, not 4:2:2...?
    Afaik, 4:2:2 at >= 50Hz would be more than the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth can handle...

I am really out of ideas with these artifacts I'm seeing. ;(
    I tried everything, even a completely fresh install without changing any setting whatsoever.

BTW, using "testing7" for a fresh install does not work johngalt, only update is possible.
    I used "testing1" instead and updated to 7 right after that...

Does anyone have any more ideas where this could be coming from?

Edit:
    I asked a friend to lend me his UBD-K8500 for a day, that should help to see if the issue comes from player or TV.
    However, I'm still glad for any suggestions / help. :)

Edited once, last by jd17 (June 25, 2017 at 12:35 PM).

• I also couldn't see macroblocking in the Samsung demo. No vertical lines either.

Maybe there are different revisions of S905X floating around and this is a hardware issue?

For completeness' sake: I use a Beelink Mini MXIII II bought in February.

• No vertical lines either.

Well, at least those have been confirmed by others, including john...
    The HDR Wonderland demo is not the best test video to see those lines though.
    Anything with really bright, light grey or white content is more suited to make out the lines.

Maybe there are different revisions of S905X floating around and this is a hardware issue?

I am starting to wonder that myself.
    It seems unlikely but at this point I'd believe that it might be a hardware issue...

Add back a BBC DVB-T dropped frame fix.

Just wanted to let you know, and not very important for me but I just tested testing7 and the BBC One video still judders, it seems dec_control is 0 instead of 4;

LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/module/amvdec_h264/parameters/dec_control

Thanks for your hard work, it is a real pain to find a balance between all the big and little issues with the amlogic code.

• Just wanted to let you know, and not very important for me but I just tested testing7 and the BBC One video still judders, it seems dec_control is 0 instead of 4;

LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/module/amvdec_h264/parameters/dec_control

Thanks for your hard work, it is a real pain to find a balance between all the big and little issues with the amlogic code.

I guess I needed to full rebuild (was a dirty build)

The default behavior of the box should be to switch to 4:2:0 at >= 50Hz, not 4:2:2...?
    Afaik, 4:2:2 at >= 50Hz would be more than the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth can handle...

BTW, using "testing7" for a fresh install does not work johngalt, only update is possible.
    I used "testing1" instead and updated to 7 right after that...

You're right, I misspoke. And I'll clean build and test a clean install to see what's going on.

Edit: Thank you kszaq, I just saw your message :) . That makes sense.

• Hmm the 24bit FLAC files I tested back then played fine, so it might be a more recent issue.

On a side note, i'd also recommend either opus or FLAC 16bit - the savings from FLAC 24bit are a bit disappointing in my opinion and you would not hear any degradation by using 16bit anyhow. ;)