Estuary skin too heavy for rpi2?

• I upgraded yesterday to the last libreelec 8 build
    The new default Estuary skin is very laggy on my rpi2. (same thing on osmc)
    So is this skin too heavy for the little raspberry?
    Or maybe some tweaks needed?thanks

• Official Post

You would be one of the very few that is complaining.
    Perhaps you have too much other stuff running in the background.

Or if it's a clean build, the thumbnail cache is still being populated.
    The bigger your collection(s), the longer it takes.

• Klojum clearly doesn't have an RPi, because the GUI is laggy even on the RPi3. It's just slow. Almost any Intel IGD will have it beat as far as the GUI is concerned.

• You would be one of the very few that is complaining.
    Perhaps you have too much other stuff running in the background.

Or if it's a clean build, the thumbnail cache is still being populated.
    The bigger your collection(s), the longer it takes.

It was my point.
    I didn't see comments about bad performances, so I thought it could be a tweak/configuration stuff.

It's a clean build, and i'm using mySQL in advancedsettings.xml
    I'll retry tonight, and wait a bit too see if performance increases.

• Have you tried Kodi on an Intel PC? I guess some people just aren't sensitive to lag, but the difference is night and day. It's usable, but I'd never use an RPi for my primary HTPC. The menu animations on Intel simply flies, and the GUI responds instantly when buttons are pressed. I'd definitely call the RPi2-3 Kodi experience laggy (compared to no lag).

• Have you tried Kodi on an Intel PC? I guess some people just aren't sensitive to lag, but the difference is night and day. It's usable, but I'd never use an RPi for my primary HTPC. The menu animations on Intel simply flies, and the GUI responds instantly when buttons are pressed. I'd definitely call the RPi2-3 Kodi experience laggy (compared to no lag).

I have both RPI-2, nvidia shield and intel htpc.
    Using confluence skin, rpi2 is only a little bit slower than the other two, but it's smooth and not laggy (except when you return to the menu with a video playing)

But with estuary, the raspberry lags

• I think Confluence is somewhat lighter than Estuary. I guess I'm more sensitive than most though, to me "a little bit slower" is totally unacceptable :)

• Estuary loads and displays a lot of images on the homescreen (thumbs/posters) so for sure it will seem a little slower than Confluence on a low performance system.

By default Estuary does some slide in/out animation for menu transitions, consider disabling this for slow systems.

Consider a movie list view that does not need to load/render a lot of images every time you scroll. The wall view for example shows 12 posters on screen, whereas some other views only show 4 or 8 or whatever. Consider disabling background fanart because in Estuary you can't really see it very well anyway.

Also you say you are using mySQL - RPi has only fast ethernet and ethernet and SD card reader are on same USB 2.0 bus.

• Klojum clearly doesn't have an RPi, because the GUI is laggy even on the RPi3. It's just slow. Almost any Intel IGD will have it beat as far as the GUI is concerned.

I have an RPi 2 and there is no lag whatsoever. I did image a new Krypton SD after the update from Jarvis was stuck on the boot screen - many others reported this - so no residual stuff - thumbnails, caches etc - to slow things down.

Edited once, last by apc (March 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM).

• I've got LibreELEC 8.0 installed on a Wetek Play 2, an Intel NUC and a RPi3, the UI on the Wetek for me is the snappiest, then the NUC, then the Pi, but I wouldn't say that the Pi is 'laggy', I mean it's slightly less smooth in transitions between pages, but it's far from being a major issue IMHO.

• I'm running LE 8 on a good ole RPi and have no problem with Estuary lagging at all. In fact I have it connected to a 1080p TV and Krypton is running very well. The RPi2 runs rings around an RPi so I'm surprised to hear your complaint about its performance.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

• I also notice Estuary skin seems slightly slugish on my rpi2, and (abit less) on my rpi3. Its not extreme but enough to notice. I tried Confluence which reduced the slugishness but finally switched to Amber which seems to be even more responsive. Watching the Pi's through TOP seems to verify lower CPU load. Im not claiming Estuary is unusable but it is not very 'snappy' in my setups, enough that some users may also want to try other skins.

Can confirm same feelings (Its not extreme but enough to notice. - best description). Pretty cleam install, textures cached via texture tool. The skin also noticably higher Temp values on my Rpi2. I am not planning use that skin in any near future, when Confluence will be still at least a little supported. But hey, on the brighter side, its ugly anyway, and we have confluence here (yet) :)

I mentioned that already in past on some Kodi forum, along with my other complains on new default skin, but, we dont have the numbers unfortunatelly.

Edited once, last by JimmySmith (March 26, 2017 at 5:32 PM).

• Hi, Estuary skin run well enough, on my Rpi 2 with LE 8, don't lag, but i prefer Confluenze skin, its lighter, but, after update to LE 8, i cannot find anymore some menus, like backup.

On Estuary skin, i find backup menu in Librelec -> System.

Somebody else?