Posts by jmooremcc

I appreciate the work done on delinterlacing, however I've had to turn it off because it's not working correctly. The problem is that when turned on, jitter is introduced by the delinterlacing functionality. One way this is evidenced is by the way horizontal crawls, frequently used on news programs, jitters as the text moves from right to left.

IMHO, I believe the problem is caused by the delinterlacing algorithm reversing the field order. I say this because as the author of digital compositing software, I've seen the same artifact when my code inadvertently reversed the field order. I fixed the problem by making sure the field order was correct.

Hardware: RPI4 running LE 10.0.2 (Kodi 19.4).

PVR SW: NextPVR

I'm in the Miami Florida USA area and one of the local 1080i TV stations somehow put in the European frame rate of 25 fps in their metadata instead of the ATSC standard 29.97 fps. All the other 1080i stations played with no problem so it was this station that was the "problem child".

The result was the audio played normally but could not sync with the video which was running at the slower rate on my RPI4 that was connected to a 1080p TV. What was really strange was that an identically configured RPI4 connected to an older 720p TV ran perfectly. Also Kodi on my HP laptop (Windows 11) ran perfectly as well.

Frustrated, I finally figured out that I should do the following:

1. Add the following to my advancedsettings.xml file:

Code
    <advancedsettings>
        <video>
           <fallback>
              <refreshmin>29.97</refreshmin>
              <refreshmax>59.94</refreshmax>
            </fallback>
        </video>
    </advancedsettings>

2. Go into Settings->System ->Display and set the whitelist to the appropriate settings for my TV. I also enabled 3:2 pulldown and double refresh rates.

Code
    [WHITELIST] whitelisted modes:
        1920x1080 @ 60.000000 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 59.940063 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 30.000000 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 29.970032 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 24.000000 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 23.976025 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 24.000000 Hz
        1920x1080 @ 23.976025 Hz

I rebooted my system and lo and behold, the errant channel was now at the correct frame rate and the audio and video was synching perfectly.

In the for what it's worth department, I did contact the TV station's chief engineer about the issue and nothing was done on their end to rectify the problem. Fortunately, Kodi had the tools I needed to resolve the problem. :):shy:

For problem #1 I've already told you the timeshift logic has changed https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php…56141#pid556141 I am not sure why you don't get it and keep asking this question. Did you follow my suggestion here https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php…56458#pid556458 to reduce the timeshift buffer size? You never responded.

The other problem clearly requires your Kodi debug logs. However this seems to be a duplicate post of this problem https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php…58166#pid558166 and it is not clear why you don't pursue it there because that problem was a backend problem.

Martin

Martin,

I'm questioning your reading comprehension. This is not the same problem because the timeshift problem I reported only happens on the RPi4 platform and only with 720p video. I specifically stated that 1080i timeshifting is working correctly. I also told you on the nextPVR forum that I tested timeshifting on my Windows 10 laptop and everything worked properly so this is a platform issue specific to the RPi4.

As far as the player stopping randomly, I see I'm not the only one complaining about that problem. In fact others have reported that the problem still exists in the current V5 backend version and in my opinion, the problem has gotten worse compared to the previous release.

I do not appreciate the arrogance you display when responding to my requests for help and as we use to say in the military, you definitely need an attitude adjustment!

John

I'm running LibreELEC 10.0.0 on my Raspberry Pi4s. I have 2 particular problems running Kodi Matrix that I don't have when running Kodi on my Windows 10 laptop.

The first problem is how long it takes to change to a different channel. Compared to Kodi Krypton, it takes twice as long to change to a different channel. Under Krypton it took less than 5 seconds. Now Under Matrix, it takes a minimum of 10 seconds.

The second problem I'm experiencing Under Matrix is timeshifting problems when viewing 720p video. It doesn't matter if we're talking about live TV or a recording, the computation of the shift amount winds up going all the way back to the beginning of the program and stalling.

For example, this morning I was watching GMA (720p) which was at the time, 15 minutes behind real time (FYI, I deliberately watch time delayed live TV so I can skip commercials). At the 47 minute mark, I tried to go back 1 minute and nothing happened. Clicking select on my remote I could see that the time indicator had moved back to the start of the program. Although the time indicator was moving forward, no video was playing.

Another example was a recording of the Wonder Years, a 30 minute show in 720p. As I was skipping over commercials I got to the 20 minute mark when the next timeshift of 3 minutes resulted in no action. Clicking select on my remote showed the time indicator had gone back to the beginning of the show. And just like my previous example, I could see the time indicator moving forward but the screen frozen at the last displayed image.

I'd like to note that timeshifting 1080i video does not exhibit these problems - only 720p video. I'd also like to note that I don't have these timeshifting problems on my Windows 10 laptop.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Is there anything I can do to fix these problems?

Thanks

Updated from 9.95.2 to 9.95.3 and am running NextPVR version 8.2.3.1.

I could not play live TV because the EPG time was off by one hour. It was as though the system did not realize we are in DST. Interestingly enough, I logged in via SSH and the date command gave the correct time. Don't know why the EPG in Kodi is incorrect.

I downgraded from 9.95.3 to 9.95.2 and the problem went away.

I believe I may have found the cause of the problem.

One of my Python reference books made the following statement:

"The locale must be installed on the OS, otherwise setlocale raises a locale Error: unsupported locale setting exception."

From: Ramalho, Luciano. Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming (p. 130). O'Reilly Media. Kindle Edition.

So I'm hypothesizing that the locale must not be installed in LE version 9.1.002.

chewitt, If my hypothesis is correct, is there anything I can do to fix the problem short of recompiling?

I've written a kodi add-on that successfully runs under LE 8.2.5 and under Kodi Leia running on a windows 10 computer. However, when I run my add-on using LE version 9.1.002 on a Raspberry Pi 2, I get the following error:

This is the code snippet from the module that produced the error:

Python
    from datetime import datetime, timedelta
    import locale

__Version__ = "1.1.0"

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')

This is the same code that's found in the locale documentation found here.

Code
    import locale
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')

I've never seen this error under any other OS running my add-on and am really puzzled why it's happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

I think I have resolved my issue with Leia by eliminating the advancedsettings.xml file that was inherited from Krypton. So far, the sluggishness I was experiencing appears to have gone away. However, I'm still having a problem with the screen going black or freezing for 4 to 8 seconds when changing a channel. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Kodi Leia runs poorly compared to Krypton on my Raspberry Pi 2. Specifically it appears to run sluggishly when playing live TV using nextPVR. I've encountered the following problems with LE 9.0.2 (Kodi Leia 18.2):

1. The initial problem I encountered was the screen going black when changing channels. I resolved this issue by getting rid of all overclocking code in my config.txt file.
    2. The next problem I encountered was the video skipping frames in order to maintain sync. I partially resolved this issue, but not to my satisfaction, by turning off de-interlacing under video settings.
    3. Another problem I encountered was the audio being out of sync with the video. This problem is intermittent and I have not found a permanent solution to the issue.
    4. When changing channels, the screen will freeze or go black for a good 8 seconds while the audio is playing and then suddenly jump to the video syncing with the audio.
    5. Finally I my system would crash whenever I attempted to perform time shifting. This turned out to be an issue with a setting in the nextPVR add-on.

I've used two different methodologies to create my system files:

(1) Clean install of LE version 9.02 using LE USB-SD Creator. After an initial setup, I restored from a backup created by the current version of LE 8.2.5.

(2) Clean install of LE version 8.2.5 using LE USB-SD Creator. After an initial setup, I restored from a backup created by my current version of LE 8.2.5. After verifying that everything was working properly, I upgraded the system to LE version 9.0.2.

Note: Both systems are licensed to use the Pi's hardware MPEG2 decoder.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems running Leia on a Raspberry Pi 2 or higher?

I've just installed LE 9.0 Kodi Leah V18 on my Raspberry Pi 2. I'm using NextPVR for my Live TV functionality. I can playback recordings OK, however, I've encountered numerous problems watching live TV including stuttering video and large audio offsets. The screen also goes black when I click any buttons on my remote.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? If so, how did you resolve them?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kodi.Log

I re-imaged my sdcard and the stuttering during playback has gone away. However, while watching live TV, anytime I click a button on my remote the screen goes black and the audio stops playing. The screen also goes black when I remotely change the channel using JSONPRC.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what can be done to fix it?

I don't have this problem with LE v8.25.

LE9 Kodi.Log

I've just installed LE 9.0 Kodi Leah V18 on my Raspberry Pi 2. I'm using NextPVR for my Live TV functionality. I can playback recordings OK, however, I've encountered numerous problems watching live TV including stuttering video and large audio offsets. The screen also goes black when I click any buttons on my remote.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? If so, how did you resolve them?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kodi.Log

I'm attempting to build Version 8.2.5 on a Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-43-generic i686) system.

I've followed the instructions to compile the code found on this website but I get the following errors:

From the research I've done, it appears that the problem may be related to the following comment I found in the glob.c file:

If I should be using the glob function from the GNU C Library instead of compiling glob.c, how would I make that happen?

Or if I have to compile the glob.c file, how would I reconcile the reference to the __alloca function?

The command I used to compile was:

PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm CUSTOM_VERSION="JM_8.2.5" make image

I've also attached my logs for your inspection:

rpi.log

rpiError.log

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I too have a similar problem compiling 8.2.5. I'm getting the following errors:

If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve these issues, I would appreciate it.

I've loaded this release on my RPi2. Whenever I try to restore my backup from 8.2.5, it appears to go OK but when it reboots, the restore has not taken place and the initial setup screen appears.

Also when it does run, the audio is out of sync with the video.

Anyone know what's happening and can anyone suggest any work arounds for this problem?

I have two RPi2s and both exhibit the same problem when watching live TV. I'm using the NextPVR addon to connect to a backend NPVR server running on a Windows 10 desktop computer.

In the first case, after watching live TV for up to 6 hours, the stream will suddenly freeze.

Attached is the Kodi Log for this problem: kodiLog_20181218.zip

Please note the following in the log file:

Code
    18:20:20.130 T:1323352992  NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled
    18:20:20.911 T:1331741600    INFO: CVideoPlayerVideo - Stillframe detected, switching to forced 29.970030 fps
    18:20:20.912 T:1331741600   DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: pattern lost on diff 166833.333344, number of losses 4
    18:20:22.755 T:1331741600    INFO: CVideoPlayerVideo - Stillframe left, switching to normal playback
    18:20:22.757 T:1722024864   DEBUG: Stream stalled, start buffering. Audio: 0 - Video: 0

In the 2nd case, I've been using JSON RPC to remotely change the Live TV channels and periodically after a channel change, Kodi will freeze.

Attached is the Kodi Log for this problem: kodiLog.zip

Please note the following in the log file:

Code
    19:59:54.177 T:1722233760   DEBUG: PVRManager - PerformChannelSwitch - switching to channel 'H & I'
    19:59:54.177 T:1722233760   DEBUG: AddOnLog: NextPVR PVR Client: SwitchChannel(10:H & I)
    19:59:54.177 T:1722233760   DEBUG: AddOnLog: NextPVR PVR Client: OpenLiveStream(10:H & I) (oid=7894)
    19:59:54.177 T:1722233760   DEBUG: AddOnLog: NextPVR PVR Client: OpenLiveStream() informing NextPVR of existing channel stream closing
    19:59:54.291 T:1243607968    INFO: CFileCache::Process - Source read didn't return any data! Hit eof(?)
    19:59:57.270 T:1722233760  NOTICE: PVRManager - PerformChannelSwitch - switched to channel 'H & I'

In both cases, the RPi2 is still running and I'm able to log in to it using SSH.

I've not been able to figure out why this is happening and would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you in advance.