[8.2.2.3] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

• Strange looks like the Samsung EVO+ and the Select microSDHC's have issues with AML S912's for some reason ?

They work on all other AMLogic S8xx/S9xx platforms. Will change my SD card recommendations then.

So IDK what's going on. I got the Sandisk Extreme micro SD card, used Rufus to load the LE image and the gxm_q200_2g.dtb file and after the Minix logo it's NOTHING but a blank screen, I reformat the LE image and this time I load up the gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb, I get the LE splash screen, it installs, does the whole countdown to reboot, reboots, shows the LE splash screen then goes to black, just like the EVO card did with the OTHER image. So I then grab my 6 year old Patriot 8Gb USB drive, stick it in and BAM it fires right up.

Is something wonky with the sd card reader on these things?

I need to now decide if I want to just install to the device or boot from the Patriot stick and then use the internal memory.

ETA in a fit of frustration I just installed to the device and it's working PERFECT. Guess I'm sending this card back to Amazon as well.

Edited 3 times, last by jsotelo5150 (October 20, 2017 at 12:43 AM).

• So IDK what's going on. I got the Sandisk Extreme micro SD card, used Rufus to load the LE image and the gxm_q200_2g.dtb file and after the Minix logo it's NOTHING but a blank screen, I reformat the LE image and this time I load up the gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb, I get the LE splash screen, it installs, does the whole countdown to reboot, reboots, shows the LE splash screen then goes to black, just like the EVO card did with the OTHER image. So I then grab my 6 year old Patriot 8Gb USB drive, stick it in and BAM it fires right up.

Is something wonky with the sd card reader on these things?

I need to now decide if I want to just install to the device or boot from the Patriot stick and then use the internal memory.

ETA in a fit of frustration I just installed to the device and it's working PERFECT. Guess I'm sending this card back to Amazon as well.

Reading your post with the edits was like a view into my mind last week. Glad you got it working.

• Well my Samsung evo+ was working fine up until the 8.1.6 update using the micro SD slot on s912 box.

After 8.1.7 system stuck on read only.

But latest update is working fine if I put the sd card into a usb adapter and run from there.

Looks like the 8.1.7 LE update changed something then for Samsung EVO microSDHC compatibility.

Samsung SD cards are likely fine but S912 LE 8.1.7+ is not. I'm using a Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC and that has no issues.

• Couple of odd things. First I actually sat down to watch a movie last night and I'm getting some intermittent micro stutter. It was late and I didn't bother checking to see if there were dropped frames but I'm just putting it out there.

The second is more of an immediate concern. When I shut down down the MINIX U9 I then lose all HDMI audio in all other devices. The Minix snags control and won't relinquish it and that includes the Audio Return Channel. Yes I can disable the auto switching but then it's a PITA for my wife and kids. Right now I'm just going to leave the MINIX on, it can't draw that much power.

I played with the CEC controls and took control away from Kodi, now it seems to work fine. I can shut off the MINIX and it auto switches back to ARC.

Edited once, last by jsotelo5150 (October 20, 2017 at 4:02 PM).

• No. Never. Amlogic has no commercial interest in paying a large amount of $$$ to appease the small number of Linux users hacking their Android product. It sucks for us, but if I were them I'd probably make the same business decision so I don't blame them.

Thanks for the reply chewitt that really sucks.

• Model: Khadas VIM2 Pro v. 1.2

Device tree: gxm_q200_3g.dtb

Image: LibreELEC-s912.arm-8.2-8.1.10.img.gz from here:

[8.1.10] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

Running from: mSDHC-card
    Kodi: 7.5-RC1

Hi!

I read this post:

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.2 BETA – LibreELEC

and tried forcing the SMB version via LibreELEC to all options (i.e. 1,2 and 3) and I can successfully add the share using "Add network location" and my user/pass and I am able to browse into it but when I press to add it I get either "Error 2: share not available" or "File exists".

My NAS is serving the SMB-share and is set to:
    Max SMB version: v3
    Local Master Browsing: Enabled

I am able to map the share using either WIn10 och Ubuntu 16.04 and user/pass.

I'm adding the server adress as such:
    smb://<NASip>/folder/subfolder/

What I am wondering is if the user and pass for the server is obfuscated in the logs (i.e. it does not write out the actual username and password, for example test:test) or if it actually tries to connecting using USERNAME:PASSWORD which ofc isn't my credentials.

Code
    20:14:15.673 T:4101373952   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://USERNAME:[email protected]/media/movies/) failed

The whole kodi.log can be viewed here:
    kodi.log - Pastebin.com

Help would be much appreciated / TheSwede86

Oh and chetwitt

No. Never. Amlogic has no commercial interest in paying a large amount of $$$ to appease the small number of Linux users hacking their Android product. It sucks for us, but if I were them I'd probably make the same business decision so I don't blame them.

You don't think an online petition would help?
    I mean it seems to be in all the Linux boxes (well actually don't know about that, I'm pretty new to this party but listed here seems to be quite much devices having the Mali GPU:
    Mali (GPU) - Wikipedia

There are many sites like iPetition or whatever but perhaps there is a better platform regarding technical petitions?
    I would be happy to create it and try and draw up followers from forums if someone could help me formulate something better then:

We would like to see ARM release the drivers for Mali (their GPU) under Open Source to be able to better utilize SoC's that contain it.
    Doing this would allow for better projects and more usefulness for the many boards that contain ARM-circuits.

Edited 2 times, last by TheSwede86: added question about releasing mali-drivers (October 22, 2017 at 12:57 AM).

• You don't think an online petition would help?

The number of users with an S912 device is statistically insignificant as a percentage of our total userbase and our entire userbase (including all the pi users, NUC users, etc.) is statistically insignificant against the number of "Kodi on Android" devices with an S912 chip that work fine. The sum of money involved to license all S912 chips produced is non-trivial so I don't see a compelling business case that would suddenly make Amlogic have a change of heart. You're welcome to do something if you want, but in the grand scheme of things I don't see this helping.

• The number of users with an S912 device is statistically insignificant as a percentage of our total userbase and our entire userbase (including all the pi users, NUC users, etc.) is statistically insignificant against the number of "Kodi on Android" devices with an S912 chip that work fine. The sum of money involved to license all S912 chips produced is non-trivial so I don't see a compelling business case that would suddenly make Amlogic have a change of heart. You're welcome to do something if you want, but in the grand scheme of things I don't see this helping.

Thanks for your reply.

Just so I understand this correctly;

ARM develops the chips (i.e. the ARM Cortex-A53 CPU and ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU) which then partners such as Amlogic, MediaTek, Rockchip etc. release as SoC's such as the S912 for Amlogic which manufacturers such as Khadas package into "development boards"?

If that is the case then releasing the Mali drivers as Open Source instead of proprietary drivers would not just affect Amlogic's S912 but all chipsets using Mali GPUs and therefore have a much wider appeal then just users which have bought a product based on Amlogic's SoC?

• In the ARM license model the SoC vendor licenses features for their devices and ARM provides a driver (or drivers) built specifically for that silicon manufacturer. So the ARM provided driver for Mali T820/830 chip in the Amlogic S912 boxes only works on Amlogic boxes.

Ah OK thanks for the clarification.

So one would need to petition ARM to release the drivers as OpenSource for all manufacturers i.e. Amlogic S912, MediaTek MT6750 and so on.
    Guess that is too much work for them (ARM) :(

Edit: Congrats btw on 1800 posts! :)

Edited once, last by TheSwede86 (October 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM).

• Couple couple of questions, how much difference are we actually talking about? The current driver seems to work really well.

Second how much money are we talking about? Is this something we could crowdsource if justified?

• Couple couple of questions, how much difference are we actually talking about? The current driver seems to work really well.

Second how much money are we talking about? Is this something we could crowdsource if justified?

i wouldnt worry about it i have an s905 and an s912

and tbh the s912 is fine just the same as the 905 in libreelec

kszaq has done a really good job

and on android its night and day better the s905 is a dog compared to the s912

• and on android its night and day better the s905 is a dog compared to the s912

Hello there, sorry that i am asking, but english is not my mothertongue. Do you mean the S905 is better or the 912 is better? I mean for LE and probably for dualboot.

• i wouldnt worry about it i have an s905 and an s912

and tbh the s912 is fine just the same as the 905 in libreelec

kszaq has done a really good job

and on android its night and day better the s905 is a dog compared to the s912

What s912 device you own?

• What s912 device you own?

H96 PRO+ 3GB 32GB

PCB CZ-S32-v2.2 20161012(A15)

QL 1730

JOB20170808 3+32/9377

1 x amlogic S912 OCTA-CORE BODGHN01404 J-TNA346.00

1 x 32GB Toshiba 19nm THGBMBG8D4KBAIR 170821AE EMMC HS400 V5.0 Read 270MB Write 90MB

1 x Fn-Link 8223A-SR COB009 1732 (QCA9377 433Mbps 1T1R 802.11a/b/g/n/ac BTLE 4.1)

1 x RTL8211F H6120H4 GH25 Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver

1 x GL850G HH4JB05Y22 713SGF9891 Genesys Logic 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub

2 x 1GB SpecTek 512X16DDR3 HL - FC4F 1708 / DY6L 1704 (SpecTek State 1600MHZ DDR3 1.5v) (rebadged Micron 512x16 DDR3L 1866 CL13)

2 x 512MB Micron 6EN77 D9SDD 3ZRJ (256X16 DDR3L 1866 CL13) D9SDD full PN=MT41K256M16LY-107:N