VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Hi there,

Since a couple of days, probably since I updated to 17.3 Libreelec, I get "connected, checking location info" when trying to connect to server. I am using HMA, Have re-instaleld Kodi, the addon, on 2 diffrent devices (Intel NUC).

Any idea what is going wrong?

Many thanks!

Hey guys,

same exact problem here :(

• It can't get the info to determine where the IP is located. If it's set to automatic, then it should cycle between the different connections. See this option

07. Debug Options · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager Wiki · GitHub

So, I tried to change the
    'Change IP Location service' option into a single service, instead of Auto Select.
    After a LOOOOOOOONG timeout, the service will say that the IP is unknown but the VPN service will NOT be validated.

Meaning that you cannot load it, when you want to use it.

Edited once, last by Cavia (June 8, 2017 at 12:51 PM).

• There's an issue with that service. Try another one. If they all don't work, then I'd suggest there's something blocking them (either your network of the VPN), which is probably going to cause you problems using the VPN connection anyway (this is why I don't offer the ability to turn this off)

It's not an issue with the VPN, that connects regardless. This is just validating that your external IP address is being used and trying to determine where the internet thinks it is.

• There's an issue with that service. Try another one. If they all don't work, then I'd suggest there's something blocking them (either your network of the VPN), which is probably going to cause you problems using the VPN connection anyway (this is why I don't offer the ability to turn this off)

It's not an issue with the VPN, that connects regardless. This is just validating that your external IP address is being used and trying to determine where the internet thinks it is.

Some debugging for you.

Of the 3 services for checking the IP:
    - IPinfoDB does not block (goes timeout)
    - IP-API does not block (goes timeout)
    - freegeoip.net is the blocking one which also blocks the Auto Select option (reboot of RPI is required)
    Moreover, the VPN or the network are not blocking them since, if I activate the VPN on my laptop I can ping all 3 services,

and they work correctly when using another VPN on RPI (AirVPN).

Thus there must be something else.
    Let me know if some log file could help you

• Hi there,

Since a couple of days, probably since I updated to 17.3 Libreelec, I get "connected, checking location info" when trying to connect to server. I am using HMA, Have re-instaleld Kodi, the addon, on 2 diffrent devices (Intel NUC).

Any idea what is going wrong?

Many thanks!

Hi, I had same problem. Was driving me nuts. But luckily my subscription with HMA was running out. So tried Smart DNS connected straight away no problem. So I can say for sure the problem is on HMA's side. I was unable to use Krypton as well with HMA. Since switching to Smart DNS have I been able to update go Krypton.

• Some debugging for you.

Of the 3 services for checking the IP:
    - IPinfoDB does not block (goes timeout)
    - IP-API does not block (goes timeout)
    - freegeoip.net is the blocking one which also blocks the Auto Select option (reboot of RPI is required)
    Moreover, the VPN or the network are not blocking them since, if I activate the VPN on my laptop I can ping all 3 services,

and they work correctly when using another VPN on RPI (AirVPN).

Thus there must be something else.
    Let me know if some log file could help you

So if they work with another VPN provider (and they all work with mine), then there's something up with your network or the VPN. By all means fetch the log, but I suspect it'll just confirm what you're already telling me (which is not something I'd fix in my add-on)

• Many thanks for all your answers.

FYI - have just reported the issue to HMA and provided a link to this thread. They have just opened a ticket.

Fingers crossed - otherwise, I will need to find another provider (but still have a HMA subscription until September...)

• I did reset the VPN files and using 8.0.3 Open elec, VPN manager, trying to connect using PIA, I get connection OK to Romania and IP address is:
    5.254.103.146 (sorry, my bad is only four I have to change my glasses) but the service provider is UNKNOWN.
    I get the UNKNOWN service provider to any UDP connect (even if disconnected).
    Problem for me is that I need to know the provider name.

Just FYI. Openelec with 8.0.4 fixed the service provider name not showing up. Everything work great wit PIA.

• Hi Zomboided,

I'm trying out PureVPN right now and I was wondering whether there is another udp port I can use besides 53. Port 53 seems to to like my setup at all. The response is very sluggish. If udp port 53 is all that is available (as a Google search would indicate) then PureVPN sucks. I asked a tech, during an online chat, and he said 5000-50000. I don't think he understood what I was asking.

Regards,

Bob

• You can change the default port, the instructions are on the GitHub wiki, but it's dependent on the vpn provider supporting it, not my add-on.

I know it has nothing to do with your addon. I was just hoping you knew of another UDP port, besides 53, that could be used with PureVPN. Just inquiring.

It appears PureVPN uses solely port 53 for UDP. :(.

Later...

• Hi there,

Please find below the HMA answer. Can we easily re-configure as proposed?

Many thanks for your great support!

----

Hello,

Thank you for contacting HMA customer support, and bringing this matter to our attention.

Based on the issue you described and your recent connections it appears that you are using outdated .ovpn config files while connecting.

We recently implemented lzo compression on our OpenVPN connections, which required any manual connections made to be re-configured using the new config files.

I am not sure where the Kodi add-on pulls the config files from, but if you have the option of inputting them yourself the correct config files to use can be found attached to my e-mail.

Please do let me know if you need further assistance.

• Updated HMA, it should notice and download the update. If not select 'Click here to update VPN settings' on the VPN Config settings tab and revalidate an HMA connection.

• Just an FYI to anyone using Kszaq's builds on s905x boxes. The 8.0.2b build has replaced LibreSSL with OpenSSL using hardware crypto specific to the s905x chip.

For me this has been a huge speed improvement. I have a 75Mbps ISP connection and with LibreSSL builds I have maxed out over VPN at about 17-20 Mbps. With the OpenSSL build I have consistently been seeing 45-48 Mbps and have even seen as high as 55 occasionally.