Posts by Trespasser

I tried the keymap editor, but it didn't help much. And, the Logitech Harmony is rather expensive, IMO. I've rethought my situation and decided to look for a Samsung Smart TV without the 4K UHD functionality (since there's no streaming sources that offer 4K content that I use anyways). 720p is the maximum that I've seen. I ordered another TV (due in Monday) that's pretty much a larger version of what I already have. Just something bigger is all I really wanted.

Thanks for the reply, Iridium. :). I do appreciate it.

Best regards,

Bob

Hi,

First of all, I posted this question in the Kodi forum, but I thought I'd ask it here as well.

I need feedback from those who have bought new TVs recently and how the remote functions within Kodi. During the past four days I have bought, and returned, two Samsung Smart TVs (4K UHD) because the remote doesn't function properly. On my 4 year old 46 inch Samsung all the keys functioned properly, like when I go into Videos>Addons, and want to access the settings menu of an addon, I would click on the Return button and the context menu would appear. On these two new Samsung's (nu6070, nu7200) the Return button would back you out to the Main screen. No context menu. I created a keymap on the yellow button that brought up the context menu but it was not as easy as clicking the Return button.

Can those who have bought new TVs recently and have no problems with the remote please post what type of TV did you buy? I really would appreciate it. I'm deep in the new TV buying fever (similar to car trading fever).

I run a Pi3 with LE 8.2.5.

Thanks in advance. Smile.

Best regards,

Bob

Hi Zomboided,

I found out what the problem was for the long delay when trying to change a VPN provider. It seems OSMC doesn't have the package psmisc installed by default (which contains the killall command). After installing it everything seems to be functioning as normal. Knock on wood, that is. ;). A message from VPN Manager suggested that killall wasn't installed in the Kodi log.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Zomboided,

I tried out OSMC on my RPi3 and I noticed that when I want to change to another VPN provider it takes a long time before the notification dialog box pops up showing that the change to another VPN provider is taking place after I made my selection. In LibreELEC it's almost instantaneous for the process to begin. Any way to speed up the OSMC process in changing providers?

I suspect it takes longer to kill openvpn in OSMC than it does in LibreELEC.

Thanks for any info that you can shed on this problem.

Best regards,

Bob

Hi Zomboided,

I use NordVPN via the UserDefinded method mainly because there are so many ovpn files. I'll never use 99.9% of them.

NordVPN is a good service and their price is quite reasonable, but they're mainly geared towards Windows, Mac, tablet, and phone users via their software.

If anyone can suggest another good VPN service at around the same price range as NordVPN then I would appreciate it. The downfall of PIA, at least for me, is that they don't have any Atlanta servers. Latency is important to me.

Thanks for a great addon, buddy. I love the new table.py feature.

Have a good one.

Bob

Hi Zomboided,

Well, I'm back home. Last night I tried 4.1.8 and the long press on the 'D' remote key, after changing the gen.xml from cycle to table, brings up a list of my validated Nord connections. This solution will work fine. You can have up to 10 of them after all...:).

Thanks for your hard work, buddy. :).

BTW, NordVPN is a good vpn service but I'm shopping for another when my expiration date approaches. It takes too long to connect sometimes.

Bob

4.1.8 is on GitHub

Trespasser It has a pop up connection table as an alternative to filtering, with a key map function to help set it up (see

Connection Switching if you want to do this manually). You can choose to display the entire list of connections, or just the validated ones.

If you already have a cycle key mapped, then you can optionally map the pop up table as a long press, but this seem to only work well with keyboards and not TV remotes via CEC.

I'll put it on the repo in a few days after I've tested it a little bit more.

Thanks, Zomboided. :).

I'll give it a try when we get back home (small vacation to the beach before cold weather sets in).

Thanks for your efforts, bud. :).

Bob

Trespasser, I have a couple addons that I have mapped via the skin I use (Mimic) to leap right into the middle of them. I don't know if you can do this with Favourites?

I use Super Favourites (great addon, BTW). I've tried adding a "Favourite" link to "Change or disconnect VPN connection", within VPN Manager, and it worked fine when you clicked on it but when you try backing out it takes you into VPN Manager's selections list and not into my Super Favourites folder.

A remote key map, like I use to cycle through three NordVPN servers (the "D" key on my remote), would be nice to open the "Change or disconnect VPN connection" section.

Hope I explained that well enough.

Later...

Hi Zomboided,

Would it be possible to key map a remote button to bring up the "Change or disconnect VPN connection" selection (a complete list of all my connection options)? With NordVPN there must be around 20 Atlanta servers to choose from. And, while at on given time, one connection may not be very congested, within an hour it's at near capacity...which brings on freezing and buffering.

NordVPN is a good VPN, no doubt, but with their Windows/Android software, which chooses the least congested connection automatically, it can be a pain for us Kodi Pi users.

Later...

Bob

A similar thing happened to me here recently. I was watching a saved video file within my Pi3 when I lost connection. I didn't notice it actually until a notification from VPN Manager popped up which was going through the motions of reconnecting. During that process the saved video file I was watching kicked out like I had stopped it. I was surprised to say the least.

There was no PVR device involved...but it was a saved video.

Post the log of the failure

Hi Zomboided,

Here's a log of the connection failure for NordVPN...

I had another log that I tried to post but they said it was too long.

Thanks for any help on this. It happens quite frequently.

Bob

Hi Zomboided,

I'm using NordVPN, but very frequently it fails to connect when I bootup my pi3 or when I wish to cycle through my connections list.

Is there anything that I can change in their (UDP) config file to speed up the hand shake? I can show a config file if you wish.

I figured Zomboided would know, but anyone else's feedback would be welcome.

Thank you.

You can change the default port, the instructions are on the GitHub wiki, but it's dependent on the vpn provider supporting it, not my add-on.

I know it has nothing to do with your addon. I was just hoping you knew of another UDP port, besides 53, that could be used with PureVPN. Just inquiring.

It appears PureVPN uses solely port 53 for UDP. :(.

Later...

Hi Zomboided,

I'm trying out PureVPN right now and I was wondering whether there is another udp port I can use besides 53. Port 53 seems to to like my setup at all. The response is very sluggish. If udp port 53 is all that is available (as a Google search would indicate) then PureVPN sucks. I asked a tech, during an online chat, and he said 5000-50000. I don't think he understood what I was asking.

Regards,

Bob

Hi, :)

I was wondering if Krypton has a hidden selection somewhere for removing orphaned packages. In Jarvis, as in Isengard, there was an option, but in Krypton, I can't find it. Surely there has to be one.

Could someone tell me where it's located?

Thanks in advance.

Bob