VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Hi,

i didn´t have the delta i did a reboot, but here is the log.

x6SD1DUT

xx.xxx.xxx.xx is my ip Adress

I don't know why it's waiting 30 minutes before giving up, I need to look at that, but it's indicating that it's tried two different services before (I'm guessing) getting no response. The connection appear to work, and it's the service detecting the location and external IP addresses that are failing. You can verify this by checking the routing table and looking to see if you have a tun0 with a different IP address. When the thing finally wakes up, do you have internet connectivity? It looks to me like the location services are unreachable, which may indicate a problem with the way your VPN has been set up? Or alternatively, maybe there's a reason why the external IP services are blocked?

• Hey zomboided,

last few month i used successfully torguard with your vpn manager.
    Now i am use free provider windscribe and i wont work...
    Dont know why, user and pass are right but dont connect.

Here the vpn log:

Windscribe free doesn't work, it only allows you to have one device which means no switching. If you want to use windscribe get a paid account

• I would think the switching of locations would look like additional connections and be rejected (I've seen this with other free providers). I guess you can try and get it working by using the user defined import wizard and see if I'm right

• Hello,

Programme working great for me - thanks.

I'm trying to set up Plex Media Server to allow remote access but I think the VPN is causing problems. I tried to filter it using the Add-on filter but it is not listed (presumably because it is a service running on the same machine, not an add-on running in Kodi). Wondering if there is a simple way to filter this type of thing when VPN manager is running?

Apologies if this has been answered already, I'm new to setting stuff like this up. Many thanks for any advice,
    Andy

• It doesn't filter based on incoming connection which is what I think you're asking?
    Can't you do some kinda port forwarding over SSH through your router/firewall? This is the approach I've taken in the past for non-Kodi reasons. I don't know anything about Plex to know if this would work.

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM).

• It doesn't filter based on incoming connection which is what I think you're asking?
    Can't you do some kinda port forwarding over SSH through your router/firewall? This is the approach I've taken in the past for non-Kodi reasons. I don't know anything about Plex to know if this would work.

Hi Zomboided. Reading more on the Plex forums it sounds like I need to get my computer to allow the Plex IP address to bypass the VPN which I think is what you're suggesting. It a bit beyond my capabilities at the moment as the walkthroughs are for windows and I'm trying to set it up on a RaspberryPi running Linux and still learning basic commands. I might just use another old computer to run my plex server. Thanks for making the add-on so I can get the Pi to connect to the VPN simply!

Andy

• Not sure if there is anything in the new release to explain it, but I've been seeing about a 25% increase in speed. From about 22-24 Mbit to 31-33 now. Fantastic.

• Hi Zomboided. Reading more on the Plex forums it sounds like I need to get my computer to allow the Plex IP address to bypass the VPN which I think is what you're suggesting. It a bit beyond my capabilities at the moment as the walkthroughs are for windows and I'm trying to set it up on a RaspberryPi running Linux and still learning basic commands. I might just use another old computer to run my plex server. Thanks for making the add-on so I can get the Pi to connect to the VPN simply!

Andy

If you do work this out you can probably make the adjustments to the routing table using the up and down scripts that are documented on the wiki.
    [hr]

Not sure if there is anything in the new release to explain it, but I've been seeing about a 25% increase in speed. From about 22-24 Mbit to 31-33 now. Fantastic.

Nothing intentional...good news for you tho!

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 2, 2017 at 9:31 AM).

• The log just shows a bunch of successful connections to 2 or 3 locations. I can see a bunch of problems with addons that we shalln't talk about having what are probably network issues.

Next thing to do is to disable VPN Mgr, start an openvpn connection via the command line and see if you still get issues with other addons. If you do, the problem is probably not my add-on

Hi Zomboided, after running a speedtest on krypton and receiving a result of 7mbps and then logging into chrome OS (have dual boot on chromebox) and running same speedtest and getting result of 61mbps. I paused filtering but for some reason my ip address was still showing the last vpn server I was connected to. And the speedtest was still showing 7mbps. So I uninstalled "VPN Manager" ran the test again on Kodi and got 59mbps. What could be causing this??

• Hi Zomboided, after running a speedtest on krypton and receiving a result of 7mbps and then logging into chrome OS (have dual boot on chromebox) and running same speedtest and getting result of 61mbps. I paused filtering but for some reason my ip address was still showing the last vpn server I was connected to. And the speedtest was still showing 7mbps. So I uninstalled "VPN Manager" ran the test again on Kodi and got 59mbps. What could be causing this??

Your VPN is causing this. Pausing filtering doesn't disconnect, it stops switching connections. Disconnect to stop using a VPN. You'll see the speed go back up. If you can demonstate that the performance is fine when you use the command line then get a debug log.

• Hi Zomboided,
    Just curious. I know you use PIA, but I was wondering, do you ever use tcp to connect? I just signed up for a month of service (just trying it out) and in the config file section they offer a tcp strong selection. Personally, I always use udp.

Like I said, just curious.

Later...
    Bob