VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• CLTSinisterOne, full Kodi log, with debug switched on please. Use pastebin. It shouldn't fail to connect but not tell you about it.
    [hr]

miketyson I can't check to see if anything has changed with that provider. You'll have to help - Can you go here How to set up VPN on Linux

Get a few ovpn files and the latest set of keys and certs and send them to me in a PM (don't post publicly). I don't need your user ID or password, I just need to compare files (I also have multiple VPN services available to me so I definitely don't need to borrow your connection)

Tried to connect using command line on libreelec ssh and I get the same error. Than I get the all the files (.ovpn, cert, .key. pass.txt etc) and tried on an ubuntu machine conncected exactly on the same network. It worked immediately without any problem. I suspect something is wrong on libreelec 8.0 openvpn. Tried to update but is not possible. Could be a libreelec 8.0 bug ?
    [hr]

Tried to connect using command line on libreelec ssh and I get the same error. Than I get the all the files (.ovpn, cert, .key. pass.txt etc) and tried on an ubuntu machine conncected exactly on the same network. It worked immediately without any problem. I suspect something is wrong on libreelec 8.0 openvpn. Tried to update but is not possible. Could be a libreelec 8.0 bug ?

I believe the problem is this: thread-1460.html what do you think zomboided ?

Edited once, last by miketyson (March 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM).

• That sounds like the DNS resolution failing. I might be wrong here so sorry if so, but try selecting another option for it. I think it's under Debug menu?

I was fiddling with the settings, but problem is still here.

I should mention that I am testing this at my home.

I am trying to connect to my home server with: RPI3 (latest LibreElec installed on it) which is connected via Wlan Hotspot on my Android smartphone.

This works with Open VPN Gui on my Windows laptop.

Openvpn log is HERE

Any help is welcomed

• Tried to connect using command line on libreelec ssh and I get the same error. Than I get the all the files (.ovpn, cert, .key. pass.txt etc) and tried on an ubuntu machine conncected exactly on the same network. It worked immediately without any problem. I suspect something is wrong on libreelec 8.0 openvpn. Tried to update but is not possible. Could be a libreelec 8.0 bug ?
    [hr]

Yes, as per my PM confirm by testing on LE 7.0 and then take the issue to your VPN provider.

[hr]

This is a log of a connection that appears to have worked? Get a kodi log, with debug switched on. I'd guess it just says that it can't reach any of the services to determine the location of your IP which point to a network connection at which point you need to determine why that is.

Edited once, last by zomboided (March 9, 2017 at 11:16 AM).

• This is a log of a connection that appears to have worked? Get a kodi log, with debug switched on. I'd guess it just says that it can't reach any of the services to determine the location of your IP which point to a network connection at which point you need to determine why that is.

Hi zomboided,

Rebooted kodi...
    Attempted to connect manually...

Kodi Log

• Hi zomboided,

Rebooted kodi...
    Attempted to connect manually...

Kodi Log

This says it thinks it connected (1 = connected, other values = not connected)
    13:10:45.875 T:1873802144 NONE: VPN Mgr Debug: VPN connection status is 1

This says it can't get info from external services to determine where the IP is. If you reset the .ovpn files using the GUI and rerun it, it'll try other providers. I'm expecting it to just say that it can't get to those either. Or you can use the last option in the debug menu to manually try other providers.
    13:10:45.894 T:1873802144 NONE: VPN Mgr Debug: Getting IP info from IP-API
    13:12:55.145 T:1873802144 ERROR: VPN Mgr : (common.py) Didn't get a good response from IP-API
    13:12:55.182 T:1873802144 NONE: VPN Mgr Debug: Retrying IP-API, in 3 seconds
    13:15:08.258 T:1873802144 ERROR: VPN Mgr : (common.py) Didn't get a good response from IP-API

This suggests you have no path to external connections once you've connected.

Edited once, last by zomboided (March 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM).

• Same scenario with all 3 providers. As I am not an expert I need further assistance.
    Please be so kind and tell me what can I do next.

• Hi zomboided,

I would like to run VPN manager for openVPN on krypton and secure my connection. I have read that my kodi box whould be visible to the outside world with a default password.

What would be the best way to secure my kodi box?

Thank you :shy:

• MrMorgen Your question is basically the open ended "why you can't I get a connection to anything from my Kodi box?". I don't know how you've set this up, what options you've used to create your own VPN server, what your home network looks like, what your ip routing table looks like and what your firewall is doing. You should google around trouble shooting network issues, I don't have the time to help with issues outside of the add-on.

Will4k Home · Zomboided/service.vpn.manager Wiki · GitHub

• Hi zomboided,

I would like to run VPN manager for openVPN on krypton and secure my connection. I have read that my kodi box whould be visible to the outside world with a default password.

What would be the best way to secure my kodi box?

Thank you :shy:

Securing your Kodi box and securing your connection are two different issues. For the former you need a firewall - unless your Internet connection uses NAT - and for the latter you would need a VPN.

• apc the problem is that when you connect to a VPN you've punched a massive hole in your firewall and you're at the mercy of your provider to filter unwanted traffic. This is particularly an issue on a box like LE where the root password is widely known. Some VPNs are better than others at filtering, but you should definitely check...

• apc the problem is that when you connect to a VPN you've punched a massive hole in your firewall and you're at the mercy of your provider to filter unwanted traffic. This is particularly an issue on a box like LE where the root password is widely known. Some VPNs are better than others at filtering, but you should definitely check...

What is the significance of these factors to those of us who have an ISP that issues external dynamic IP addresses that constantly change and also uses NAT so that all local equipment is on the internal. non-routed 192.168.* network?

Edited once, last by apc (March 9, 2017 at 5:52 PM).

• You're creating a tunnel between the computer running the vpn and the vpn server. When you connect you're told the IP address of that specific computer as seen to the outside world, it's not the IP address your provider gives you and it's not going to go through the gateway to your local network, whatever that looks like. None of the factors you mention make any difference at this point. Check out the link I responded with a few posts back.

• The filtering is not active whilst you're watching videos. The only reason you'll see this is because the openvpn task is terminating (bad connection or something else is killing it) and it's being restarted. There's an option on the monitor tab of the settings to not do this during playback, but the question really should be what's messing with you connection.

I don't use transmission so I've no idea. All I'll say is that if you're messing with the vpn externally to the addon, then good luck. It'll just cause the add-on to act weirdly. You probably should use the API (see the wiki) to disable fitlering, connect to a vpn and then enable filtering via your cron job.

I am using your API to enable/disable VPN connection. I am not messing with the VPN externally, except for disconnecting it sometimes (from within your addon). I don't get what you mean by enable filtering via cron job.

Currently, I have 2 cron jobs, First one enables VPN connection using the API at 12:00 am. Second one disconnects the VPN connection using the API at 8:00am. Both the cron jobs runs only for Weekdays. My transmission is schedules to run between 12:05 am and 7:50am weekdays only.

The issue I have is that during weekends sometimes, I want to start the transmission as I am not using the box if going out. In that case I have to manually enable vpn connection using your addon first and then start the transmission. I think currently only video addons are supported in addon-filtering. Can you set services addon to trigger addon-filtering, that way I don't even need the cron jobs.

Also, have you got any suggestions on what to look for what's messing with my connection. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the library is trying to get the show info or fanart from the network.

Just fyi: VPN connections are always managed from within the addon, I don't use anything else.

Edited once, last by ace310 (March 9, 2017 at 10:03 PM).

• If it doesn't show up as an option to filter then you can't filter on it. You can look at window ID filtering I just added but I don't know if it uses a unique window as I've never used it. You're probably better off just setting up a cycle key and switching it on when you need it.

• I'm a very happy VPN Manager user, everything works as a charm except that addconfiguration is lost when upgrading libreelec version or VPN Manager version.

When it occurs I have to reenter the VPN username and password and retest the connection to make it work.
    It is a normal behavior ?
    I'm currently using [8.0.0e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X and latest version of VPN Manager. I've had the issue for the past two month while following up the libreelec or vpn manager updates.

• I see this when upgrading via the repo (like last night when 2.8.0 was coming). You just wait and it sorts itself out. The problem is that during upgrade it blows away the entire plugin, including existng settings. When it comes back the settings are restored (if you try and use it mid upgrade you'll get funky results). It's not ideal, but there's nothing I can think to do about it other than look at how I can make the add-on smaller (and upgrade quicker). Any established VPN will continue to run so there's no exposure there.

Edited once, last by zomboided (March 10, 2017 at 10:30 AM).

• hi i use pia vpn and remote nl.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
    but the it is strange i use addon maneet links it works fine but kiickass will not work but works but in other countries of the vpn example no.privateinternetaccess.com 1198 worls maneet links kickass
    [hr]

hi i use pia vpn and remote nl.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
    but the it is strange i use addon maneet links it works fine but kiickass will not work but works but in other countries of the vpn example no.privateinternetaccess.com 1198 worls maneet links kickass

Edited once, last by tomtomclub (March 12, 2017 at 5:13 PM).