[9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18

• Hi KOPRajs and thanks for these builds.

I had problem using the wifi connection. While the signal was fine, there was constant buffering, slow transfer speeds even from a NAS and disconnections.

It was very much improved by doing the following procedure:

1) Create the file: /storage/.config/modprobe.d/rt8188eu.conf
    2) Paste the following: options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
    3) reboot or reload the module

It apparently disables power management on the wifi module.
    Hope it helps anyone.

Edited once, last by zephyr (May 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM).

• Hi KOPRajs and thanks for these builds.

I had problem using the wifi connection. While the signal was fine, there was constant buffering, slow transfer speeds even from a NAS and disconnections.

It was very much improved by doing the following procedure:

1) Create the file: /storage/.config/modprobe.d/rt8188eu.conf
    2) Paste the following: options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
    3) reboot or reload the module

It apparently disables power management on the wifi module.
    Hope it helps anyone.

Do u do this through shsh?

• Since many people seems to have problems with creating the storage partition with the label, I have created an image (storage.img.gz) so you can now create it with LibreELEC USB-SD Creator.

The easiest way to install LE 8.0:
    1. install the zip from recovery as usual (please note that you don't need the ext3 partition for this step!)
    2. power off the device
    3. create the storage partition on SD card or USB drive using storage.img.gz and LibreELEC USB-SD Creator
    4. insert the storage device and power on the box

Hope this helps!

Okay, I thought I had this but I can't figure out which version I should be using in the very first step. It does not list the MX 2. Should I be using the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 as it shows when you launch the USB/SD creator? I think that's the only thing I'm not sure about. I finally got the box to work on so I wanted to get it right the first time and not have to mess it up. Thanks anyone, or KOPRajs.

• Sorry in advance for the long noob post, but I'm hoping to get some help installing this and hoping this helps others too.

My MX2 had been running OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.0.3 for the longest time perfectly until yesterday when it failed to boot with corruption errors. I tried a clean install but still kept getting errors. I then did an upgrade to 6.0.3 which was able to boot all the way up. But after a few reboots for testing, I got the same corruption messages again so I know my NAND is shot. That had led me here.

I want to do a clean install of 8.0.1, so I'm following this:

"New installations from recovery:
    You will need an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for the first boot. Then you can change the label of internal NAND storage partition as described above if you want to use it instead of the external storage. The rest of the installation process is the same as usual"

I made the ext3 USB stick image following this process:

1. Insert USB stick into PC

2. start LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32

3. click "Select File", browse to storage.img.gz

4. click "Write"

It writes and finishes successfully. I don't believe the settings for #1 (select version) are relevant because as soon as I click "Select File" and point to storage.img.gz, those values in #1 dissapear.

Then I follow this process:

If you want to do a clean install:

1. flash the ZIP from recovery as usual (using FAT32 formated SD card or USB drive)

2. power off the box (don't worry about the error during first boot)

3. insert empty SD card or USB drive with ext3 filesystem and the LIBREELEC_DISK label and power on the box (the system will use it for storage instead of the internal NAND)

When I power on the MX2 with the USB stick, this is what I get:

***Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount LABEL=LIBREELEC_DISK ****

### Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ###

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

#

Edited 2 times, last by fabric8 (May 26, 2017 at 2:02 AM).

• Somehow I remembered the toothpick method and got things to work and thanks Fabric8 for clarity on step number one in SD/USB creator. No need to choose, plus in the very first post KOPRajs said he would use the WeTeck Play version. Oh well. So now that Kodi 17.1 is working splendidly, I just saw there was a bug on SPMC on my other Android box. Hopefully, this is only for the SPMC version as it still uses 16.5.5, I think? Anyway, hooray, it works!! And thanks. I didn't think that old box could run 17 version of Kodi. It does!!

Update: Uh Oh, it looks like there's some kind of a hack through the downloadable subtitles. How do we get the latest fix on this one? It says to use 17.3 Kodi. How can we update from 17.1? Is that something that we need to wait on or is there a way to update to 17.3 from 17.1?

Update: OKay, read on down to see my discoveries regarding Kodi's update feature in LibreElec settings.

Edited 5 times, last by tierry: knowledge (May 28, 2017 at 2:58 AM).

• Somehow I remembered the toothpick method and got things to work and thanks Fabric8 for clarity on step number in SD/USB creator. No need to choose, plus in the very first post it said it would use the WeTeck Play version. Oh well. So now that Kodi 17.1 is working splendidly, I just saw there was a bug on SPMC on my other Android box. Hopefully, this is only for the SPMC version as it still uses 16.5.5, I think? Anyway, hooray, it works!! And thanks. I didn't think that old box could run 17 version of Kodi. It does!!

Tierry, I'm glad my post helped you out. Hoping you can help me get mine working. Did you do any step differently than how I did mine?

• Ok, I finally got it to boot. Since I don't have a linux system, I installed Oracle Virtual Box on my Win10 PC to get a linux VM running. Once I had a linux VM up (Ubuntu 5.10 :) ), I connected my USB stick then did the below. Keep in mind, my linux VM identified/assigned my USB stick as /dev/sda. YMMV

1. used fdisk to partition it: fdisk /dev/sda then when prompted, pressed "n" for new partition and followed the rest of the prompts

2. then I formatted it: mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

3. then labeled it: tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/sda1

I then disconnected the USB stick from PC, connected it to the MX2, powered up and BINGO! Kodi was up!!! Not sure why the image maker LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32 didn't work well for me.

Also, my 1st attempt at this was with a 16Gb metal thumbdrive. For whatever reason, it would run VERY hot and it slowed Kodi down a lot, freezing here and there but usually recovering but there were a few times it hard froze. So I switched to another 16Gb thumbdrive I had (generic plastic casing). That ran without freezing, but response times were slow clicking around Kodi, waiting for pages to display.

Finally I took my 16Gb class10 SD card from my GoPro, did the above to it, booted up and was amazed how FAST Kodi now runs. I later compared the write speed on all 3. The class10SD has a write speed of almost 30Mb/s whereas the USB sticks were 8 & 10Mb/s.

So long story short, if your NAND is bad and you have to run Kodi on external memory, make sure it's fast to get the best performance out of it.

I'm really loving this 8.0.1 build. Thanks to all!!!

p.s. I can't believe my original xBox (17yrs old!!!!), xbox360, Apple TV2 (jailbroken with Kodi 14.2) are all still running perfectly with no NAND issues. Such a shame Matricom used such cheap memory on the MX2. Granted the xbox and 360 both have mechanical HD's. But my ATV2 is way older than the MX2.

Edited once, last by fabric8 (May 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM).

• I have no problem getting the libreelec 7.x.x.x to install, but am having difficulties trying to update using samba or ssh. I have looked through all the posts and still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Gbox mx2. Thanks in advance to anyone who can dumb it down and guide me step by tedious step.

• for me I loaded LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-7.95.3.zip booted connected to wifi and made sure ssh was on then rebooted.Next I opened internet explorer typed in box ip added LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-8.0.0.tar to update folder.then using putty I ssh into box and added tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data.after that in ssh I typed reboot and updated perfectly everything working great.I did 3 mx2 all the same first shot

Can you describe the process of adding the ssh command please? Thanks in advance

• Okay, so here is how I got my MX 2 working with LibreElec. Now that I’ve had to do it a couple of times, I’ll go over exactly how I got it to work. The first thing I did was to get the SD/USB creator for my Mac. Then, I shoved an SD card into my reader and also downloaded the latest storage.gz image file that KOPRajs created and chose that file to write to it. My Mac didn’t recognize the SD card in the Finder at first since I’d already overwritten it with a previous gz image, and probably because it was a Linux based format. But the "creator" did so I went on to the next step, which was to write the files. After the files were done I closed the creator and ejected the card. I then downloaded the zip file and opened it up and copied the files inside it to a blank USB stick. I then ejected it from my Mac and plugged it into the box along with the newly formatted SD card as new storage. I then did the toothpick method to start the box up. Once it went into an update mode I chose to delete the files and then went on to install the new files from Udisk, which is the USB stick. You have to choose the zip file from the zip folder for it to work. After recognizing the files it started to write the new files. After a few short moments, it took a much longer time to resize the new storage image disk. After that was finished it was ready for a reboot and all I had to do was to pull the USB out and let it go to start up into Libreelec, and voila, it rebooted to a new Kodi 17.1.

(actually, that's not entirely true now that memory serves me correctly. I had to pull the power plug on the box and reinsert it for it to power back up, but it did work!) I left the SD card in as the new storage it will use for all data. But now we need to wait for the newest update due to the new security breach found in that version(17.1). So, all we need to do is to wait for the update to the Amlogic version. Thank you KOPRAjs for all your efforts so far!

Edited 2 times, last by tierry (May 28, 2017 at 2:52 AM).

• Somehow I remembered the toothpick method and got things to work and thanks Fabric8 for clarity on step number in SD/USB creator. No need to choose, plus in the very first post it said it would use the WeTeck Play version. Oh well. So now that Kodi 17.1 is working splendidly, I just saw there was a bug on SPMC on my other Android box. Hopefully, this is only for the SPMC version as it still uses 16.5.5, I think? Anyway, hooray, it works!! And thanks. I didn't think that old box could run 17 version of Kodi. It does!!

Hack???

Update: Uh Oh, it looks like there's some kind of a hack through the downloadable subtitles. How do we get the latest fix on this one? It says to use 17.3 Kodi. How can we update from 17.1? Is that something that we need to wait on or is there a way to update to 17.3 from 17.1?

Hack??? Kind of worried

• Well, not a hack..yet, but definitely a vulnerability. Just try not to use any subtitles or try to disable the function whilst watching a show. Kodi mentions upgrading to at least 17.2. There's already an update for the We Tek PLay but not for the MX 2 box yet, that I know as of today. libreelec-krypton-v8-0-2-mr

I don't think there is an Amlogic version yet but hopefully soon.

Update: Actually, it may probably update automatically via the auto updates in the LibreElec settings with Kodi 17 now but that should only happen once the update is available.

Go KOPRajs and all who helped!

Edited 3 times, last by tierry (May 28, 2017 at 2:56 AM).

• I've updated the build to 8.0.2 with Kodi 17.3.

If you already have 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 working you can update to 8.0.2 by simply copying the .tar to Update folder and reboot.

• I've updated the build to 8.0.2 with Kodi 17.3.

If you already have 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 working you can update to 8.0.2 by simply copying the .tar to Update folder and reboot.

Wow, that's awesome KOPRajs! Is that the only way to update it to 17.3 or is it possible to update it through Kodi software itself? I'm guessing since this is a custom build, maybe not?

• Hello All:)

My Story..

I had installed the previous version 8.0.1 and quickly returned to codesnakes version of Openelec because of the really SLOW interface:@

BUT after the new KODI warnings I decided to update to V 8.0.2 and this time used a class 6 micro sd,WOW thats made ALL the difference,so FAST and smooth,Im never going back.8)

Thanks KOPRajs :thumbup:

p.s. Yeah I didnt use the internal storage for version 8.0.1 just a class 2 card (i think)

I didnt think that was the problem but Im SURE it was!?