Libreelec 7.95.2 High Memory Usage and freeze

• My reply is not there anymore, probably deleted.
    Can someone be helpful in telling me how to create a new issue on the xbmc/kodi github?
    This problem is very easy to reproduce, any hints, please?
    Thanks in advance!

• Don't know why they should delete a Bug report which is easy to proof......

But, this happens the more in the last years on kodi... more features, more bugs or something which was working is broken now....

I am also not a friend of adding features while the basics are buggy...

Maybe they think it's not that critical....

Edited once, last by Nicolas (April 26, 2017 at 4:00 PM).

• Official Post

Maybe they think it's not that critical....

The first thing to do with problems of any kind in Kodi is that the developers can reproduce the problem. When that is not possible for whatever reason, it becomes a lot more difficult to fix those problems.

With LE 8.02 the Problem still exists :(

With every new LibreELEC release: new log & crash file(s), please.

In full and unabbreviated.

• The first thing to do with problems of any kind in Kodi is that the developers can reproduce the problem. When that is not possible for whatever reason, it becomes a lot more difficult to fix those problems.

With every new LibreELEC release: new log & crash file(s), please.

In full and unabbreviated.

Look it up.

Problem was/is reproduceable.

More than handful folks already reported the bug, reported the logs and everything needed.

but NO ONE ever did anything about it.

and SAME still exists.

So don't tell us we didn't provide anything. Even a ticket was opened.

• Code
    ADDONS: Using repository repository.metalkettle

I went back to look at the original logs you posted and saw that .. so two comments:

a) The legions of people using our Generic image are not complaining about memory consumption issues so we are pretty confident there are no major problems in that area. That doesn't mean to say something isn't lurking, but it does mean it will be niche and hard to pin down.

b) No further support will be provided until we see evidence of a clean debug log with no piracy crapware installed. FWIW we do see all manner of random bad behaviour with pirate sh1tware installed.

• The Problem still exists with Version 8.0.0. i Make a Full reset after install and the Memory gets full on fast forwarding Local MedIa

That means no addon installed at this time and the Problem was there. And if you read carefuly you can see that the problem has to do with Local Media not with any Addon. And i`m not the only one here that have these Problems if you read the other Posts too.

But i would provide a new log later.

• What exactly is the problem here? Used RAM? It's supposed to be used. Do you have a lot of used swap space, or does the kernel start killing processes because it can not allocate memory? If not, there likely isn't any problem. Sounds to me like this is just another case of misunderstanding how memory works.

• But the Memory consumption stays high. After a while it goes so high that Kodi freezes and and restart After that the Memory cumsumption is low again.

On the Video that i Posted you can See how fast the Memory goes up.

On my Odroid C2 fast forwarding is no Problem. The Memory consumption goes a little higher but if i stop the Movie the Memory consumption goes down again and on my Nuc it stays high.

• Try this in a terminal: sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=65536

Just a theory as I don't know exactly how the kernel file cache works, but I'm guessing fast forwarding a 4k video at that speed might cause a lot of memory pressure. Adjusting the amount of memory to always keep free (default is 16MB) have been known to help in similar situations. The command above sets it to 64MB.

• Try this in a terminal: sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=65536

Just a theory as I don't know exactly how the kernel file cache works, but I'm guessing fast forwarding a 4k video at that speed might cause a lot of memory pressure. Adjusting the amount of memory to always keep free (default is 16MB) have been known to help in similar situations. The command above sets it to 64MB.

This don't work for me sorry.

But here is an Actual Debug Log

• Here is the output from journalctl -f

Code
    Sep 01 03:19:53 IntelNuc systemd[1]: Stopped Kodi Media Center.
    Sep 01 03:19:53 IntelNuc systemd[1]: Starting Kodi Media Center...
    Sep 01 03:19:53 IntelNuc kodi-config[3208]: chmod: /storage/.kodi/addons/*/bin/*: No such file or directory
    Sep 01 03:19:53 IntelNuc systemd[1]: Started Kodi Media Center.