[7.0.3.012l] LibreELEC 7.0 for S905/S905X

• Hello there,

I purchased a Mediabox TX95 Amlogic S905x 2/16 I was wanting to give LibreELEC a go, but Im having trouble booting to it with an SDcard. I have followed the instructions in the guide but when I push the reset button and power it on it stays at the Amlogic S905X screen. Iam pushing the right reset buttion.

See image below.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

• I just received the M8S II box today. Before I install LE , I'd like to backup recovery.img and dtb.img from the box. Can anyone guide me how to carry out these steps? Never done this before. OP mentioned copy from Android firmware. I can't understand how to even do this.

• I just received the M8S II box today. Before I install LE , I'd like to backup recovery.img and dtb.img from the box. Can anyone guide me how to carry out these steps? Never done this before. OP mentioned copy from Android firmware. I can't understand how to even do this.

You need to find android firmware for your box and extract it from it.
    Use sd card version first, there is no need to install it to internal rom right away.
    Also if you don't have exact android firmware you can't go back.

sent from my LG G2

• Hi everyone.
    When my kids watching some kids stuff, after 15 maybe 10 minutes screen change colours like in the picture below.
    Does it problem with my T95x 2/8gb or TV Philips PFL8404
    Or maybe it's something wrong with libreelec?
    Someone have any advice? I'll be very grateful for some help with that.
    I'm using newest libreelec 7.0.3.012

Edited once, last by jakotaki007 (January 10, 2017 at 7:32 PM).

• Ok thank you. I installed LibreElec 7.0.3.012a on sd-card now. Running it from SD.
    Will try out this version the coming days/weeks. Thank you all.

• Do the skins classify as Add-ons that need to be re-installed after updating from 64 to 32 bit?
    Everything seems to be working fine. I use the box only for movies, so I don't have any DVR add-ons. My weather updates fine and Library Watchdog seems to be working.

I did experience an issue with the box freezing on boot again though...

Also, does this release fix the issue where the audio is out of sync on some movies? I have to move it to -0.250ms every time and it's fine.

• ... I purchased a Mediabox TX95 Amlogic S905x 2/16 I was wanting to give LibreELEC a go, but Im having trouble booting to it with an SDcard. I have followed the instructions in the guide but when I push the reset button and power it on it stays at the Amlogic S905X screen. Iam pushing the right reset buttion.

I'm not familiar with that particular box, but that would indeed appear to be the reset switch hole I would believe;
    besides, if it were not, it would continue to just boot into Android
    You should be able to feel a positive 'click' as you operate the switch, as confirmation

It sounds like you possibly have not formatted the SD Card properly, or you have an inadequate SD Card (better quality Samsung, Sandisk etc Class 10)
    So ensure that you are starting with a good card and reformat it;
    Here is a simplified version of the install procedure for an S905X from SD Card

The following is the process extracted from opening post:
    (the red parts are superfluous; the purple comments are added by me; i.e. just follow the BOLD steps

SD card/USB drive:
    Note: only 1 USB port is able to boot the box. You have to try them all. Some boxes are unable to boot from USB drive.[Ignore references to USB if using SD Card]
    Look at the beginning of first post in thread and find Downloads link. Download file with img.gz extension.
    Burn the downloaded file to SD card or USB drive using Rufus. [Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way note that you will be doing this off-line on a Windows machine]
    Alternatively you can use LE tool but remember that you have to download the image manually: Installation - LibreELEC
    After this you will see that drive capacity is 512MB. This is OK as there is a second (hidden) partition on the drive for LE userdata! [Informational only]
    Download a device tree, rename it to dtb.img and copy it to main folder of SD card/USB drive - replace the one that's already there. [Not required for S905X]
    To boot the system for the first time you have to use one of the following:
    toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.
    [This one is the simplest]
    menu button method (works with very few devices): disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push menu button on your remote control and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.
    recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.
    recovery method (2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose any ZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.
    recovery method (3rd variant): if your box is rooted, use terminal emulator app and execute reboot update command
    recovery method (4th variant): enable ADB (Google it) and issue adb reboot update command

Note that after the initial boot, you no longer have to use the reset button to boot - if SD Card is inserted it will boot automatically to LE; if ejected it will boot to Android.

The condensed version:

SD card
    Look at the beginning of first post in thread and find Downloads link. Download file with img.gz extension.
    Burn the downloaded file to SD card or USB drive using Rufus. [Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way note that you will be doing this off-line on a Windows machine]
    After this you will see that drive capacity is 512MB. This is OK as there is a second (hidden) partition on the drive for LE userdata! [Informational only]
    To boot the system for the first time:
    toothpick method - disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.

Note that after the initial boot, you no longer have to use the reset button to boot - if SD Card is inserted it will boot automatically to LE; if ejected it will boot to Android.

Edited once, last by DEcosse (January 10, 2017 at 10:00 PM).

• I purchased a Mediabox TX95 Amlogic S905x 2/16 I was wanting to give LibreELEC a go, but Im having trouble booting to it with an SDcard. I have followed the instructions in the guide but when I push the reset button and power it on it stays at the Amlogic S905X screen. Iam pushing the right reset buttion.

I believe you have a locked recovery in your Android Firmware.
    Try the following using a zip file.

Just input a Fake.zip in your SD Card with LE, go to Update App on Android, Select the fake Fake.zip and press Update.
    If this fails, Copy the fake zip to USB Stick and leave the LE sd card inserted at the same time and use update from fake zip on USB Stick.
    The box should restart and install LE on SD Card.
    Reference link.

Edited once, last by kostaman (January 11, 2017 at 12:56 AM).

• Just to add something obvious. Every time I've tried to boot LE off a USB drive or SD card and it has failed (stays at the boot logo), 99.99% of the time, it is because I'm using an incorrect device tree.

While the instructions here are fantastic, what is not immediately obvious is what the default dtb.img with LE is for. It may be obvious to some, but it wasn't to me.

For e.g., every single one of my boxes (have 5 at present) is a S905x/2GB/16GB/100mbps box. The default LE SD card would not boot on ANY of them. Then I used the 2GB 905x device tree (gxl_....2g), put it on the SD card, deleted the default dtb.img, and renamed the tree to dtb.img and the SD card/USB drive has booted every single time using the reset method.

• Just to add something obvious. Every time I've tried to boot LE off a USB drive or SD card and it has failed (stays at the boot logo), 99.99% of the time, it is because I'm using an incorrect device tree.

While the instructions here are fantastic, what is not immediately obvious is what the default dtb.img with LE is for. It may be obvious to some, but it wasn't to me.

For e.g., every single one of my boxes (have 5 at present) is a S905x/2GB/16GB/100mbps box. The default LE SD card would not boot on ANY of them. Then I used the 2GB 905x device tree (gxl_....2g), put it on the SD card, deleted the default dtb.img, and renamed the tree to dtb.img and the SD card/USB drive has booted every single time using the reset method.

Read my post reply above link. Read the highlighted Blue Text.
    I think that is what your issue may be.

If you update from 64-bit to 32-bit build your device tree may not update automatically even if you put it in Update folder! You have to replace it manually or perform update process for the second time - i.e. once again put 32-bit build and device tree in Update folder and reboot.

Edited once, last by kostaman (January 10, 2017 at 11:51 PM).

Read my post reply above link. Read the highlighted Blue Text.
    I think that is what your issue may be.

I did see that, but not before spending hours trying to see what was wrong... :) Anyway, my point was that sometimes it's the most obvious things we miss.