Hey guys, I've updated to a pi3 and I've installed the latest build, and I'm having the quirky controller issue with retroarch again. In the past I was able to get it working, and I posted my vague instructions here. RomMon later came across the same issue and that same process worked for him; however, a bit later RomMon was discussing the issue again. TheCouchMonster and craigmillard joined the conversation #71028 and #71707.
RomMon menitoned copying his config files over
Strangely, ~/.config/retroarch/autoconfig/udev/ doesn't exist. Could this be a change in the structure of the newest build or could it have something to do with me using the pi image rather than the generic one that RomMon and craigmillard are using? Anyway, I created the folder and copied everything but I'm still fighting this issue.
Basically if both a ps3 controller and keyboard are connected when I launch a game, no input works. If I shut off or unplug the ds3, I can then use the keyboard as normal ... I used the process I mentioned here to bind keys in retroarch for the ds3. Now, If I load a game with the keyboard in eS and then connect the ds3 afterwards, I can almost use the controller. d-pad right triggers the retroarch menu, which causes the keyboard/ps3 controller lock issue and I have to disconnect the ds3 in order to navigate retroarch.
For fun, I changed the emulator-frontend.conf to boot retroarch instead of emulation station, but I get the exact same issue.
If anyone has any ideas they'd like to toss out, please help.
I got it working! Woohoo!
I did another fresh install using the newest pi build from 5schatten on my pi3. I copied RomMon config files. Then I setup my controller in kodi and eS. When I booted a rom. I got the exact same weird issues I described before. All buttons seemed to be working except D-pad right would trigger the retroarch menu and would lock up controls with the keyboard until I disconnected the controller. I poked around and I found under 'Input>hotkey binds>menu toggle' it was set to PS (i think) ... I reset that using the PS button, it's now registered as 10 ... all the problems seem to be fixed.
I copied my configs over to my pi2 running the latest pi build from escalade and its working beautifully! Thanks guys!