Posts by slacker666

decided to go the linux route, however its been quite a while since ive messed with it, do I need to download the above listed minimal install then copy the text listed above save it as retropie_install.sh place it where noted then run the script, or run the items one at a time?

Thanks for the help all

Yep, you need to install the minimal Ubuntu version, I recommend v18.04 but v20.04 is (obviously) the latest. After downloaded and installed (from USB preferably) to a storage device, you need to create and either copy the "retropie_install.sh" file to samba share (this has to be installed and setup, check /etc/samba/smb.conf afterwards) or copy it to and from a USB drive and run that file. Don't forget to do "chmod +x retropie_install.sh" after that it's just a matter of executing retropie_install.sh
    If you don't want to bother with that, just download MizterB's bootstrap.sh file, it's way more automated aka user friendly and has some advantages over my script (like no terminal output when launching a game) :)

Included an attachment of how the setup looks when done.

Neither of the instructions listed for using other skins have worked for me guess i might be missing a step. if i edit the settings.xml with the code listed above us there anything else i need to do?

Make sure Kodi isn't running when editing settings.xml or else it won't work.
    But as I mentioned earlier, try Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 and the Retropie install script in the above post. The MizterB bootstrap + install script should be fool proof.

Tried your entry on the skin I would like to use (Madnox) but no success. I may have done something wrong but I am not sure what. I will continue to mess with it, unless you have any other ideas. Thanks for the help.

See if the skin you're using support adding custom items to the menu, then you should be able to put the cmd "System.Exec(/usr/bin/retroarch.sh)" as a custom command. If not, try some other skin and see if it works just as a proof of concept.

been using this image for a while, i’d like to use different skins (I am growing tired of the default) Has anyone had any luck using a different skin? cannot seem to get others to work while retaining access to the emulation aspect of this image.

Thanks!

Either you have to see if you can enter a custom command from skin settings menu in Kodi or you'll need to edit " \\<networkname>\Userdata\addon_data\skin.<skin.name>\settings.xml "
    My entry looks like this:

Code
    <setting id="CustomHome.1.Label" type="string">Games</setting>
    <setting id="CustomHome.1.Path" type="string">System.Exec(/usr/bin/retroarch.sh)</setting>

I'm using Amber skin, so I can't guarantee the same will work for all skins. Best make a backup of it prior to changing it. Also, you probably can't have Kodi running that skin when trying to edit it.

Edit: But feel free to try the Ubuntu 18.04 minimal iso and the script in my post above to get Pegasus FE + Kodi and possible native Steam support.

I really enjoyed escalade's work with RetroELEC but I wanted to have my personal touch on the software, so I just ended up doing an Ubuntu 18.04 minimal install and then installed RetroPie (with Pegasus FE) + Kodi on it (can run Steam too, even in BPM). The upside with doing this is that you'll have access to more drivers and aren't limited to what's included in RetroELEC (or LibreELEC for that matter). You'll also be using Ubuntu which is widely supported and discussed in forums should you run into any issues or want to add something of your own.

Here's what I did if anyone is interested in trying:

NOTES:
    Also, make sure to install Pegasus FE from RetroPie Setup under experimental packages if videos aren't playing after scraping them.

You can copy & save that as a file in your user home dir as "retropie_install.sh" for example and then run the cmd: "chmod +x retropie_install.sh"

execute with "sudo sh retropie_install.sh" afterwards. After a reboot you should now see the Pegasus frontend, you can scrape games with SkraperUI (run it from a Windows PC and point to your Ubuntu machine's LAN IP / name).

Good luck with your new project!

Audio issues? Check audio preferences with

Code
    pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index:'

and ucomment the last line in /etc/pulse/default.pa and set something like set-default-sink output alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1

Controller issues? Go to RetroPie section and launch Retroarch and setup your controller binds there.

Also if you have more than one user it will probably break stuff with the install script. Use a clean new Ubuntu 18.04 install for this.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage running that script may cause. You're on your own if things go haywire.

Note: If you want to use MizterB's RetroPie script for Ubuntu 18.04/20.04 you can download it here. It uses EmulationStation as frontend and installs main packages for RetroPie automatically

You cant install anything since it's so locked down, you'd have to re-compile with Skyscraper I believe. Never done anything like that myself so can't guide you through how to do it though I'm afraid.

Just tested this build and I confirm that EmulationStation can now be launched from within Kodi again. But, there's no audio in Emulationstation/Retroarch (but works in Kodi). Also, since the switch to Pulseaudio, there's no option to use Audio passthrough in Kodi so can't use my AVR properly.

Edit: noticed that when the screensaver starts (noticed in ES), it cannot be removed by using the gamepad, a keyboard is needed to get rid off it.

escalade i see you have updated the Skylake versions, will you update your generic soon as well? At the moment the current generic version is pretty full of bugs, as mentioned above.

Tried to boot / install one of your Skylake builds on my Pentium G4600 CPU based system (ASUS H270i motherboard), but once it got to the "please wait 5 seconds for the installer to run" boot menu, it just froze and I had to do a hard reset. Same USB key was able to install LibreELEC and your RetroELEC versions so doubt it's a USB issue.

Edit: however, the HDMI bug seems to be "gone", ie it's not present on my G4600 setup, so could be a NUC thing (as mentioned on libreelec's frontpage, there seems to be an issue with audio and NUCs).

20200604 images:

• updated and fixed up cava
    • fixed up ncurses so there's proper color in terminal programs
    • added mupen64plus-next-libretro PR's that upgrades it to 2.1.0 and adds parallel-rdp
    • added ecwolf-libretro and boom3-libretro
    • tried to make a better moonlight icon (it's logo really sucks, anyone with artistic talent can make a better one?)

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing some bugs with this build (generic), Steam downloads but cannot open afterwards. Cannot launch Emulationstation from within Kodi. Scraped games in Emulationstation are removed and have to redo scraping process after reboot/shutdown from desktop mode.
    Audio is working when PC's started (HDMI), but if i switch HDMI source on my TV and then going back to RetroELEC NUC the audio isn't working until next reboot.

Hi Escalade I’ve installed retroelec but i have no sound I’ve switched between options in audio output but still no sound is there a fix for this please many thanks the option for ALSA HD nvidia hdmi doesn’t seem to be included in this version as in stock libreelec many thanks once again :thumbup:

Check escalade 's post here where he explains on pulseaudio vs alsa. In that very post you'll also notice a workaround for adding ALSA to Kodi.

bedroom:~ # nano /storage/.config/kodi.conf

nano: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What am I missing?

I get the same error when trying to execute the "nano" cmd on my HTPC with the latest version (RetroELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2-devel-20200420000513.img.gz), I suggest you revert back to RetroELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2-devel-20200409214701.img.gz where it worked fine.

You can get it to behave like vanilla LibreELEC if you like, by setting the environment variable KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA+PULSE in /storage/.config/kodi.conf.

This made Kodi find my HDMI as PulseAudio (along with default Pulseaudio device) and audio works in Kodi now using Pulseaudio.

But I probably fiddled around too much in Retroarch / ES trying to get audio, what's the default audio output settings there?

Also, after starting ES, Kodi defaults back to ALSA: Default (Intel PCH ALC283 Analog) and there's no Pulseaudio for HDMI any more until I reboot, then I can choose Pulseaudio HDMI again (doesn't seem to be there in Kodi.log but is there in Kodi.old.log). Any ideas on how I can fix that? Thank you in advance!

Also, if I try to run Retroarch from Kodi menu, it starts RA for about a sec then crashes back to Kodi, see last attached logfile for further info

I have this issue as well with an Intel NUC and a Celeron J3455 CPU, no HDMI option, only Pulseaudio as described above. Running your Generic image from 20200312

escalade, any ideas?

Here's my

Code
    pactl list sinks | pastebinit

: ttp://ix.io/2fbj