RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Yes, I'm using the minimal from 20.04 but I was getting these same errors and dialog in both versions. Have an update on the progress...

There is an error around line 32/33. It dumps the user in nano but doesn't actually do anything. I navigated to the top and hit CTRL+K to remove the first line. Not sure if I was at the end of the file because I navigated there previously under the expectation it would be the last line (that's how I add it myself when doing those steps for my Ubuntu installs) but for someone not familiar with things this would be puzzling. After I removed the line, saved the file and exited nano the script resumed as expected. So far, so good...

...and it's done. I guess I do a sudo reboot and see what happens! :D

EDIT: Restarting got me a nice Plymouth screen for a bit and then dumped me at terminal with the message that my drive was clean. Switching to terminal one gave me login, so I went ahead and entered my credentials....and still nothing. Starting to suspect something broke but I don't know what. I'm sitting at terminal with my account logged in. Was something supposed to start Pegasus-FE? Should I type 'startx' or something else?

Yeah I know line 32/33 just dumps the user in nano where you have to remove the line manually, I will check if I can get it removed by using a command instead.
    Please use Ubuntu 18.04 minimal instead, might be some changes in 20.04, I had issues with that dist too (don't remember exactly what though). Yes, it should start pegasus-fe automatically.

Btw: did you install pegasus-fe from retropie-setup script in experimental packages? I'm going to reinstall my NUC (been using LibreELEC there for 2 years so finally gonna make the switch to Ubuntu instead, might as well do it now :))

Edit 2: I've just ran the setup process without any issues on my Intel NUC, it boots straight into Pegasus-FE. Might add a section to the script where it pulls todays current version of Pegasus-FE, otherwise it's better to just use RetroPie-Setup script to download it to get the latest version.

Edit3: To enable ports, please install lr-prboom or similar package from RetroPie Setup script

Edited 3 times, last by slacker666: Successfully installed on my NUC using the updated script. (July 1, 2021 at 12:21 PM).

• Yeah...that's where I goofed! I was supposed to install Pegasus-FE in Retropie installer after installing basic installation. Unfortunately I am no longer in the sudoers file so I will need to start from scratch. :(

Will report back in about two hours. If it doesn't work then, I'll pull the 18.04 LTS minimal installer out and take another whack at it.

OK with 20.04 LTS I manually installed Pegasus-FE this time and continued with the install. Everything seemed to be progressing as expected but I noticed a message about an error with line #107 being incorrect somehow but the script continued on to the end. When I got the finished message I rebooted and waited while nothing seemed to happen. Then I went to the tty on F1, logged in with my user account and still nothing.

I tried typing "pegasus-fe" into the terminal to see if I could start it manually but only got this error:

/opt/retropie/supplemineentary/pegasus-fe/pegasus-fe: error while loading shared libraries libstgl-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Thoughts? Advice?

Going to give it a shot using the 18.04.5 LT installation I just built, will report back whatever happens.

Edited 3 times, last by bornagainpenguin: Progress update. NOTE: Deliberate misspelling on directory path since it is a banned word. lulz wat? EDIT: to announce attempt using the script with an install of 18.04.5 LTS. (July 1, 2021 at 5:18 PM).

• Got the error message again and took a picture of it before continuing:

bzlyvOd.jpg

After continuing the script says 'All done!' so I'm going to restart and see what happens.

Another note that just occurred to me is that I did not get asked about my display manager. Hmmm...

EDIT: After reboot it took me right into Pegasus!

Update: Unfortunately since I am not in the sudoers file it really doesn't matter since I am unable to configure anything:

YLyFhhG.jpg

Edited once, last by bornagainpenguin: Good news. Updated with bad news. (July 1, 2021 at 6:38 PM).

• Nice to see it seems to be semi working. Regarding the sudoers, I missed removing that line initially, but the post is updated with the proper script now. The below script also fixes the wrong cmd in line 107.

This is the final script:

Display Spoiler

Sorry for your mess! Report back either on success or fail :)

• Succeeded in getting everything installed, Pegasus-Fe opens and even lets me exit. Unfortunately not sure how to access Steam from the command line. Attempting in a separate tty rendered an error. Launching Kodi worked but the wireless keyboard I use immediately died. Growing pains.

I'll attempt to see if using a remote will allow me to navigate Kodi and if there is some sort of configuration that can help me launch steam from Pegasus-fe. Otherwise all I really need to do is get the Steam games installed and then Pegasus can take it from there. At least theoretically, it can. Will spend some time copying over bios files and roms too to see if I can get my emulation on. And then there's testing the gamepads... Lots to do still! :)

• Succeeded in getting everything installed, Pegasus-Fe opens and even lets me exit. Unfortunately not sure how to access Steam from the command line. Attempting in a separate tty rendered an error. Launching Kodi worked but the wireless keyboard I use immediately died. Growing pains.

I'll attempt to see if using a remote will allow me to navigate Kodi and if there is some sort of configuration that can help me launch steam from Pegasus-fe. Otherwise all I really need to do is get the Steam games installed and then Pegasus can take it from there. At least theoretically, it can. Will spend some time copying over bios files and roms too to see if I can get my emulation on. And then there's testing the gamepads... Lots to do still! :)

Glad you finally got it working! You shouldn't be able to exit Pegasus-FE with the script provided, everything should be reachable from within that frontend. Did you need to tweak anything or did the script work as intended?

You should be able to launch Steam by running "steam" from terminal or the included bash script steam.sh in "Ports" inside Pegasus-FE. I had to install lr-prboom package from within RetroPie-Setup to enable Ports section (I'm sure there's another way, just haven't bothered with it though) but after that it works flawlessly.

My Xbox controllers work out of the box within Steam, but I think I needed to set up the controllers button configuration within Kodi manually.

• Glad you finally got it working! You shouldn't be able to exit Pegasus-FE with the script provided, everything should be reachable from within that frontend. Did you need to tweak anything or did the script work as intended?

Nah, the script ran as intended as far as I can see--I tried exiting and it immediately reloaded Pegasus-Fe. So I hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to get a tty terminal and logged in and attempted to run the commands.

You should be able to launch Steam by running "steam" from terminal or the included bash script steam.sh in "Ports" inside Pegasus-FE. I had to install lr-prboom package from within RetroPie-Setup to enable Ports section (I'm sure there's another way, just haven't bothered with it though) but after that it works flawlessly.

I'll give this a shot and see if it works for me. Any ideas what's up with the port of Minecraft in the retropie setup? It says that my hardware isn't compatible with the port. (Perhaps it's expecting the rpi arm processor and there isn't anything available for x86\x64?

My Xbox controllers work out of the box within Steam, but I think I needed to set up the controllers button configuration within Kodi manually.

Once I get in I'll see what I can find. For the record I have a Steam Controller and two Logitech F710 gamepads.

Really want to thank you for hanging in there with me this whole way. I'm thrilled at the progress we've made so far.

• Nah, the script ran as intended as far as I can see--I tried exiting and it immediately reloaded Pegasus-Fe. So I hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to get a tty terminal and logged in and attempted to run the commands.

I'll give this a shot and see if it works for me. Any ideas what's up with the port of Minecraft in the retropie setup? It says that my hardware isn't compatible with the port. (Perhaps it's expecting the rpi arm processor and there isn't anything available for x86\x64?

Once I get in I'll see what I can find. For the record I have a Steam Controller and two Logitech F710 gamepads.

Really want to thank you for hanging in there with me this whole way. I'm thrilled at the progress we've made so far.

Ah, okay that's good then. Found it a bit odd that you could exit Pegasus-FE, but thought you maybe fiddled with the script a bit, but then I understand :)

Yeah, Minecraft in RetroPie-Setup requires an RPi so it won't work, but I think you can download it manually and just add a bash script inside Ports to run it from within Pegasus-FE like Kodi and Steam.

Odd that your keyboard died on you, not just a battery issue? Does it find the receiver in terminal, like dmesg|grep <brand name> ?

Glad to be of assistance and that it finally works for you. And thank you for beta testing my script, must've been some changes along the road, made that script nearly a year ago so I guess that's why.

• Unfortunately Steam is not loading still. Here is the error message:

oD63CE6.jpg

UPDATE: I went in and blew away the .steam profile and restarted and this time when I launched the Steam app from the ports section everything worked. I'm going to chalk this up as user error on my part.

• slacker666

So I've had time to play around with this a bit. Had some issues I wanted to make you aware of....

• Pegasus-FE when you scrape your games seems to be just fine at getting the artwork in the default theme. Once you add other themes they have issues displaying the same artwork that the default theme has. One theme showed the logos only another couple only showed the name in text over a blank box.

This can be seen here:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• USB external drives do not seem to be mounted at all. The USB gamepads I have, a Steam Controller and two Logitech F10s do not seem to be detected properly. The Logitechs show up but their mapping is not consistent and I have had issues mapping it. The Steam Controller does not get detected at all. Not even in Steam.

Not sure what to do going forward here. Without the external drives mounting I cannot use this for Kodi which I am just now getting around to. Without the gamepads it doesn't matter if I get the games to show up in different Pegasus themes.

I may try to do a fresh install and see if that fixes anything. Ditto for trying with a newer version of Ubuntu, just to see if it fixes anything.

EDIT: For no known reason the USB drive started automounting. Odd that. Not going to poke at it too hard though. Looking into Skraper to see if that can fix the Pegasus theme issue and continuing to test out the steam controller.

Edited 2 times, last by bornagainpenguin: Added link (July 15, 2021 at 8:50 PM).

• Did you sort everything out? There's (most likely) a cleaner way to install stuff by using MizterB's script found here. Otherwise, hope everything is working out fine for you :)

• Is there any supprt for the Raspberry Pi 400? I tried to search but found nothing. I installed it and it does not appear to support it, the keyboard nor the mouse works by default with RetroElec 9.2 20200430025740

• Hi GORBULAN

LE 9.2 doesn't support the RPi 400 as it's firmware is too old. You probably manually replaced the firmware files on 9.2.6 and those got changed back to the stock (i.e. too old) LE ones when updating to 9.2.7/8.

You have to replace firmware files again, or switch to LE 10 (which is the better solution as that will also give you working bluetooth and wifi).

Worth going though this article if you are going to use 9.2:
    9.2.7 and 9.2.8 crash upon boot RPi 400 - General Support - LibreELEC Forum

Otherwise LE10

• Thanks for the reply @heitbaum

I didn't replace anything myself. I just downloaded the RetroELEC version I mentioned and burned it to the SD card. I can use LE 10, but then I lose out on on plugins for spotify and youtube, for now. Those are kind of crucial right now for my build. Really I need to know if I can just use an older version of Kodi with LE 10. Okay, nevermind. Youtube appears to have support for Matrix. But the spotify plugin is needed. That's why I was hoping to use RetroELEC, since it comes with a desktop, mentions Spotify, and seems to be optimized enough. The "default" raspberry pi os, Buster, was too slow to be usable for anything.

• Okay. I'll give it another try but with LibreElec this time. Retrogaming is the lowest priority for me right now, so I can wait for Kodi's builtin retroplayer to get off its feat. It works for me when I tested it, but it's clearly not feature complete yet. Excellent, another LibreELEC machine in my house!

• Got the LibreSpot addon setup. Turns out it's no good for my use. Needed a spotify client, not a uhh, streaming endpoint. Anyway, I'm gonna focus on making the YouTube addon work. Looks like a 73 step process. Lol. Anybody know of a typed guide, not a video? I much prefer non-video tutorials. Last one I used for it was already out of date. I dislike how many video guides there are over typed/blog entries.