I'm having this very weird problem. I have searched the forums and couldn't find a solution.
I use LibreELEC on a Raspberry Pi 400, booting off a SanDisk SD card, 64GB.
In short, when I (try to) upgrade from 9.2.6 to 9.2.7 or 9.2.8 (I tried both, with the same results), it does not boot anymore. I see the splash screen and then the RPi shuts down. The power LED turns off and I can hear the external HDD power off when this happens. So it's really powered off, not a display/cable issue or anything.
All this happens very early in the boot process and the syslog does not contain anything about it.
Information that I have gathered:
- 9.2.6 and previous versions have been working great for several months now (I forgot when I got the RPi 400). Before this, I had been using incremental updates of LE from the same SD card for years on an RPi4 and an RPi3.
- The exact same SD card, with 9.2.7, booted fine on an RPi4. I haven't tried this with 9.2.8, but I think it's safe to assume it would be the same.
- I have tried several power supplies, with the same result: the RPi400 official one, a laptop supply from a Lenovo ThinkPad of [email protected] and a smartphone charger of [email protected]
- This is really interesting
- I tried to downgrade from 9.2.7 to 9.2.6 using a "raw" (downloaded) image and after, the issue was still there with 9.2.6. It wouldn't boot.
- However, after I restored a previous image of 9.2.6, which I had backed up a few months ago (just the system partition), it worked. It booted fine.
- Again, I haven't tried the same with 9.2.8, but I think the result would be similar.
In fact, after the bad experience I had with the upgrade 9.2.6 -> 9.2.7, I wanted to stay on 9.2.6, but the lack of support for widevine became an issue. I tried to upgrade to 9.2.8 in the hopes that this might contain the fix for my issue, but no joy.
In any case, I would exclude the SD card or power supply as possible causes, which are the only suspects I could find on the forums.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.