RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Hi escalade!

Can you describe your building process?

I downloaded your last source code(2020-11-24) then I built xenial docker image from tools/docker/xenial/Dockerfile. I ran the command "PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 DISTRO=RetroELEC make" in this image and had a lot of building errors. The googling helped me solve some errors but I stuck with python3 _ctypes module now.

All in all, I want to repeat your building process and then add my small changes.

I very like your project, thank you very much for it

• This intrigues me. Is there a place to discuss it further? I know this is an older post. What I want to know most is what the end result looks like allowing you to switch between systems (Kodi, Emulation Station, Steam) and whether a desktiop is needed or if there is a way to bind the three together for complete control with a remote?

• This intrigues me. Is there a place to discuss it further? I know this is an older post. What I want to know most is what the end result looks like allowing you to switch between systems (Kodi, Emulation Station, Steam) and whether a desktiop is needed or if there is a way to bind the three together for complete control with a remote?

You can check out the theme at Pegasus Frontend , you simply add Kodi and Steam so you can start them like you'd start a game. I'm using a remote to start either and it works flawlessly.

• Here's an updated version of the script, copy the text and open an editor such as nano and paste it and save as retropie_installer.sh (for example) then do: chmod +x retropie_installer.sh and then run: sh retropie_installer.sh

The old and borked script below should only be used for reference.

Edited 3 times, last by slacker666: Trying to have just one version of the script, updated to remove the line where it removes the user from sudoers. (July 2, 2021 at 5:53 AM).

• Here's an updated version of the script, copy the text and open an editor such as nano and paste it and save as retropie_installer.sh (for example) then do: chmod +x retropie_installer.sh and then run: sh retropie_installer.sh

In the process of trying this a second time now. First time I had the connection close on me half way and I was unable to make it work afterwards. That install I used the WiFi built into my Lenovo M73, this time I'm going with Ethernet so I hope things go better. Not sure how but I hope at the end of things I'll be able to adjust the networking to WiFi because I am unable to run a cord to this desktop all the time at the moment.

Interestingly something in the settings had me end up with almost the entire Gnome desktop. Not sure this is intentional given the openbox installation later on.

ARGH...it died on me again while I was typing. error message says that:

Code
    E: Failed to fetch https://dl.bintray.com/mmatyas/deb/dists/testing/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 43.213.218.48 443]
    E: The repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/mmatyas/deb testing InRelease' is not singned.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8)  manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package pegasus-frontend
    retropie_installer.sh: 49: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

So not really sure when you'll see this but it didn't work for me and I'm really not sure how to recover from this...

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I've been trying to troubleshoot this with the help of a friend in Discord and on the Ubuntu-Mate forums. Sadly there seem to be multiple points of breakage, so when you come back I'd dearly appreciate your feedback on what we've got so far...

• In the process of trying this a second time now. First time I had the connection close on me half way and I was unable to make it work afterwards. That install I used the WiFi built into my Lenovo M73, this time I'm going with Ethernet so I hope things go better. Not sure how but I hope at the end of things I'll be able to adjust the networking to WiFi because I am unable to run a cord to this desktop all the time at the moment.

Interestingly something in the settings had me end up with almost the entire Gnome desktop. Not sure this is intentional given the openbox installation later on.

ARGH...it died on me again while I was typing. error message says that:

Code
    E: Failed to fetch https://dl.bintray.com/mmatyas/deb/dists/testing/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 43.213.218.48 443]
    E: The repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/mmatyas/deb testing InRelease' is not singned.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8)  manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package pegasus-frontend
    retropie_installer.sh: 49: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

So not really sure when you'll see this but it didn't work for me and I'm really not sure how to recover from this...

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I've been trying to troubleshoot this with the help of a friend in Discord and on the Ubuntu-Mate forums. Sadly there seem to be multiple points of breakage, so when you come back I'd dearly appreciate your feedback on what we've got so far...

Sorry for being absent. I've updated the post you refer to (RE: RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)) and removed the pegasus-frontend package as it seems to be removed.
    Please try to run it again and check back if you succeed or run into any other issues.

• Sorry for being absent. I've updated the post you refer to (RE: RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)) and removed the pegasus-frontend package as it seems to be removed.
    Please try to run it again and check back if you succeed or run into any other issues.

Great to see you back again!

Did you glance over at the Ubuntu-Mate thread I posted? I was trying to get things working with the assistance of a friend on Discord and one very kind and dedicated poster on the Ubuntu-Mate forums. We had to make a few changes (in addition to the issue with Pegasus) to fix things as we went along. The most recent version of that is this:

Admittedly that still contains the Pegasus section but there was stuff before that which needed to be fixed, such as ~/.xsession file not existing and causing issues. Would appreciate you taking a look at the above and advising accordingly. I'm prepared to do another install (dear God why me?) just because I really do want this to work.

Could I suggest that you add a section for this fix to make things 'just work' like they would under LibreELEC? The current versions of Ubuntu will have issues for most people's remotes otherwise. It's a small papercut but still matters. Possibly a good idea to enable oibaf's ppa for updated graphics as well, which requires enabling the PPA functionality via this first. Also it might be desirable to add a tweaked kernel such as Liquorix for better performance? Just asking because the way the script seems to read for me indicates there will not be a way to upgrade the system afterwards because the user accounts will be gone. Am I reading that right?

Also since the script seems to be pulling in a lot of stuff from Gnome and the intention seems to be to use OpenBox, I was wondering if it might make sense to start with something like Ubuntu-Mate, minimal install and then install what is needed in the script then once everything is there run a bunch of removals to keep the system as minimal as possible. Forgive me for the avalanche of comments, I've been thinking about this almost nonstop for two weeks now, and I'm bursting with ideas and comments.

Off to reinstall the minimal command line system for the script so I can try again...thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Script is running now. Yes, yes it does take me this long just to install the base system and get the script over there ready to use.

Edited once, last by bornagainpenguin: Progress update. (June 23, 2021 at 3:24 PM).

• OK, it still died at the same place. I'm going to remove that section with Pegasus-FE as directed. I can always install it manually if needed.

Would like to note two things. One that there is something in line #17 that seems to be pulling in the Gnome Desktop for some reason. Also that something involved in the process here results in a boot to LightDM if the desktop is restarted and what seems to me a very minimal Gnome Desktop but when I attempt to connect to the wifi I am unable to see anything listed. Not sure where it is breaking here or what it is that is breaking.

Going to reinstall the base command line system, copy over your revised script and try again....

Hey before I go ahead and retry, is there a reason that the automount USB and the autologin sections are completely commented out?

Next attempt started...wish me luck.

Edited 2 times, last by bornagainpenguin: Asked question. Added info that attempt was beginning. (June 23, 2021 at 5:29 PM).

• And this is what we have using your updated script with no edits.

In the version that I was troubleshooting we ended up removing those () expressions since they tended to cause syntax errors.

Reinstalling the base system again for another go as soon as you can provide an updated script to work with.

EDIT: Base system has been installed, I just need a new script to follow.

Edited 2 times, last by bornagainpenguin: Fixed link. Added information. Informed that I am ready to go again. (June 23, 2021 at 7:14 PM).

• And this is what we have using your updated script with no edits.

In the version that I was troubleshooting we ended up removing those () expressions since they tended to cause syntax errors.

Reinstalling the base system again for another go as soon as you can provide an updated script to work with.

EDIT: Base system has been installed, I just need a new script to follow.

I'm currently away, but as soon as I can I will create a virtual machine and try the script again and see where it fails and update accordingly. You can however try the other script (not written by me) if you're eager to try it out.

• I'd much rather wait for you, I barely know what I am seeing when I look at the script and the 'other' script was just troubleshooting what you had posted. I assume that you know your own script best and since you had had success with this before I'd rather wait for you to be able to read it over and post corrections.

• I'd much rather wait for you, I barely know what I am seeing when I look at the script and the 'other' script was just troubleshooting what you had posted. I assume that you know your own script best and since you had had success with this before I'd rather wait for you to be able to read it over and post corrections.

It took awhile but here it is, partially rewritten and tested on a VM just now and boots into Pegasus-FE afterwards (I installed it through the RetroPie-Setup script (from experimental packages). I also added the lirc stuff and the graphics drivers part, haven't tested that though so might not auto-install.

If you (or anyone else) have any suggestions, feel free to comment :)

Edited 3 times, last by slacker666: Updated the script, now with "wpasupplicant" added to add support for Wifi connections (August 23, 2021 at 9:36 PM).

• It took awhile but here it is, partially rewritten and tested on a VM just now and boots into Pegasus-FE afterwards (I installed it through the RetroPie-Setup script (from experimental packages). I also added the lirc stuff and the graphics drivers part, haven't tested that though so might not auto-install.

Code
    <snip>

If you (or anyone else) have any suggestions, feel free to comment :)

Looks good, I'll be giving it a try in a few minutes. One quick question before I do, is there any way to send the output of the actions or a log to someplace online so you can get them?

• Looks good, I'll be giving it a try in a few minutes. One quick question before I do, is there any way to send the output of the actions or a log to someplace online so you can get them?

As far as I know, no. But paste it in a pastebin entry or similar where the lines will be seen so it'll be easier to know where it fails, if it does.

• As far as I know, no. But paste it in a pastebin entry or similar where the lines will be seen so it'll be easier to know where it fails, if it does.

So far things are going pretty well as far as I can see. I'm at the point where it is compiling retropie. Working its way through Mupen64plus at the moment. Hoping this time we get the end and everything works.

Quick question: I've been assuming that the display manager you prefer is lightdm so when I get a message asking me to choose between lightdm and GDM3, I've been selecting for lightdm every time. Was this a correct assumption to be making?

• So far things are going pretty well as far as I can see. I'm at the point where it is compiling retropie. Working its way through Mupen64plus at the moment. Hoping this time we get the end and everything works.

Quick question: I've been assuming that the display manager you prefer is lightdm so when I get a message asking me to choose between lightdm and GDM3, I've been selecting for lightdm every time. Was this a correct assumption to be making?

Most likely will, but of course I hope so too :)

Yes, that's the one I use. I install Ubuntu 18.04 minimal so I don't have any other display manager. Did you install a different one?

• Most likely will, but of course I hope so too :)

Yes, that's the one I use. I install Ubuntu 18.04 minimal so I don't have any other display manager. Did you install a different one?

Yes, I'm using the minimal from 20.04 but I was getting these same errors and dialog in both versions. Have an update on the progress...

There is an error around line 32/33. It dumps the user in nano but doesn't actually do anything. I navigated to the top and hit CTRL+K to remove the first line. Not sure if I was at the end of the file because I navigated there previously under the expectation it would be the last line (that's how I add it myself when doing those steps for my Ubuntu installs) but for someone not familiar with things this would be puzzling. After I removed the line, saved the file and exited nano the script resumed as expected. So far, so good...

...and it's done. I guess I do a sudo reboot and see what happens! :D

EDIT: Restarting got me a nice Plymouth screen for a bit and then dumped me at terminal with the message that my drive was clean. Switching to terminal one gave me login, so I went ahead and entered my credentials....and still nothing. Starting to suspect something broke but I don't know what. I'm sitting at terminal with my account logged in. Was something supposed to start Pegasus-FE? Should I type 'startx' or something else?

Edited once, last by bornagainpenguin: Added link to version 20.04 LTS minimal iso Gave progress report Waiting for instructions (June 30, 2021 at 10:29 PM).