RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• I got it working! Woohoo!

I did another fresh install using the newest pi build from 5schatten on my pi3. I copied RomMon config files. Then I setup my controller in kodi and eS. When I booted a rom. I got the exact same weird issues I described before. All buttons seemed to be working except D-pad right would trigger the retroarch menu and would lock up controls with the keyboard until I disconnected the controller. I poked around and I found under 'Input>hotkey binds>menu toggle' it was set to PS (i think) ... I reset that using the PS button, it's now registered as 10 ... all the problems seem to be fixed.

I copied my configs over to my pi2 running the latest pi build from escalade and its working beautifully! Thanks guys!

• Default user/password is root/libereelec

• Thanks.

Got in.

Have this

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

NUC:~ #

I tried first to change the 1 in the config file to 7. That cost me the sound on Kodi and did not get any on emulationstation. Then tried 3. Again, nothing.

Deleted file and now I have sound again on Kodi but not emulation station.

Did command speaker-test, didn't hear anything from box but got this on screen

Playback device is default

Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels

Using 16 octaves of pink noise

ALSA lib /storage/http://LibreELEC.tv/build.LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2-devel/alsa-lib-1.1.5/src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c:1099:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

• I got it working! Woohoo!

I did another fresh install using the newest pi build from 5schatten on my pi3. I copied RomMon config files. Then I setup my controller in kodi and eS. When I booted a rom. I got the exact same weird issues I described before. All buttons seemed to be working except D-pad right would trigger the retroarch menu and would lock up controls with the keyboard until I disconnected the controller. I poked around and I found under 'Input>hotkey binds>menu toggle' it was set to PS (i think) ... I reset that using the PS button, it's now registered as 10 ... all the problems seem to be fixed.

I copied my configs over to my pi2 running the latest pi build from escalade and its working beautifully! Thanks guys!

I had many problems too using DS3 controllers and finally switches to 8bitdo SF 30 PRO. I'm not sure if it's the reason but vanilla LE has some additional DS3 patches for bluez included:

LibreELEC.tv/packages/network/bluez/patches at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

and those are missing at escalades build:

LibreELEC.tv/packages/network/bluez/patches at le82 · escalade/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

I couldn't test them anymore since my last DS3 controller is sold but maybe those patches make things easier.

• aplay -L and not aplay -l .... ;)

LibreELEC:~ # aplay -L

null

Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0

HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1

HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=2

HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3

HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 3

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=4

HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 4

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

HDA NVidia, HDMI 0

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1

HDA NVidia, HDMI 1

HDMI Audio Output

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2

HDA NVidia, HDMI 2

HDMI Audio Output

Edited once, last by BlaBla1973 (March 27, 2018 at 8:27 PM).

• Does case matter?

Apparently it does.

Tried:

pcm.!default {

type plug

slave.pcm {

@func getenv

vars [ ALSAPCM ]

# Device name can be found using the command 'aplay -L'

default "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0"

}

}

And it works.

I don't have the clicks on Kodi (not that I care) but movies and games seem to work for sound.

Thank you for helping a noob

• linux is case sensitive (unlike Windows), so yes it matters a lot :) good thing you got it working tho!

• I've spoilt myself with an LG OLED and I gotta say this is a gamechanger. As you can direct play 4k HDR files through Plex I'm not sure what I need Kodi for anymore. Probably not going to worry about rebasing on LE9 any time soon. Just a heads up :)

• AFAIK there isn't anything interesting coming in Kodi 18. I've been using Kodi/XBMC/XBMP since the early XBOX days, back then there was no media players or PC's you could hook up to the TV. Today we have smart TV's that can hardware decode the media themselves. Unless Kodi can do a better job, then there's really no need for it. Plex uses an elegant solution, letting the TV do the work and presenting the UI through a web app. I can control the UI with the LG magic mouse, subs are downloaded automatically by PMS and most importantly there is HDR ;)

Just the fact that Kodi still requires you to manually update and clean the library shows how obsolete it is (yes I know there'as addons for this functionality but in the past they sucked). Now they added support for running libretro cores inside of Kodi, which IMO seems like a terrible idea as RetroArch will always be superior and better maintained.

Basically, I need(ed) Kodi to present my media and play it in the best way possible. Now there's better options, at least for the time being. We will see what happens, but HDR for Intel or AMD is still far off I think. Up until now I had a 3D capable TV but Kodi still does not support MVC so I never got to enjoy that (except for inferior SBS or OU). Plex could direct play the content but the interface sucked on my older TV. Times change and I'm done missing out.

End of rant, we'll see what happens but the future doesn't look very bright. Unless you got an LG OLED of course ;)

• Indeed, I never buy the latest as they are half the price year after. This year's model's don't bring much new either from what I heard.

I meant streaming opposed to live tv, of course bluray is preferrable quality wise for any other media (I mostly have HEVC remuxes). Did you ever try playing a blu-ray under Kodi?

• I can watch Finnish TV on apps, but not Swedish TV due to regional limitations (don't want to muck about with proxies). I need PVR so I can record when Björgen is skiing 😁 Yes, I have some region A Blu-rays that I play with LE. It works. Some TV series discs can be a pain to find episode order though. BTW. did you update the MakeMKV addon?

• I've spoilt myself with an LG OLED and I gotta say this is a gamechanger. As you can direct play 4k HDR files through Plex I'm not sure what I need Kodi for anymore. Probably not going to worry about rebasing on LE9 any time soon. Just a heads up :)

It is a pity that you will no longer make any updates, how do you use the emulators now?

• It is a pity that you will no longer make any updates, how do you use the emulators now?

I will most likely continue making updates, just at this point I'm not sure to what degree I will focus on Kodi if at all. I still consider LibreELEC as the perfect JeOS for emulators :D