It picks whatever Pulseaudio picks. My NUC has two cards with several devices, PA correctly detects 0,7 and it’s what my script generates config for.
How do you tell PA which output it should use? Because normally you would get this output if PA is not running any sinks:
- phoenix:~/.cache/services # pactl list sinks
- Sink #6
- State: IDLE
- Name: auto_null
- Description: Dummy Output
- Driver: module-null-sink.c
- Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
- Channel Map: front-left,front-right
- Owner Module: 21
- Mute: no
- Volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB, front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
- balance 0.00
- Base Volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
- Monitor Source: auto_null.monitor
- Latency: 305824 usec, configured 2000000 usec
- Flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY
- device.description = "Dummy Output"
- device.class = "abstract"
- device.icon_name = "audio-card"
It works fine for me once I start a frontend & PA has created a sink I've chosen. But then again I could use this code to let PCSX2 use the "fake" ALSA output while still PA is running