Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Hello there! Great work! I finally manage to make almost everything work on my RPi4 (8Go) with last LibreElec. Still have to go into RetroArch to launch N64 game.

For RetroArch I had to replace Ozone by XMB in the config file.

The only minor problem I have is I cannot have RetroArch to list my N64 roms when scanning the directory... If I launch them they work, but it seems it do not recognise them automatically, I tried different version of the same rom, into or not into a zip, it do not recognise them as Nintendo 64 rom (or any kind). Any advice on that?

Thanks!

Edit: In RetroArch I pressed on Update Info file and Update Database and now it's working...

But now it's reverse, game are seen, put in the good categorie. But RetroArch just let me choose between 2 core (parallel and Mupen64-next) and when I want to launch game say "Cannot find core file"...

I checked in ":~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.retroarch/cores", all cores are here (and RetroArch seems to see them but cannot launche them...). I don't understand...

Edited 2 times, last by dantahoua (July 15, 2020 at 11:31 PM).

• I've just done a new install of Gamestarter on my RPi4 LibreELEC 9.2.3 install and get the same error when trying to start EmulationStation.

EmulationStation is installed from GameStarter repository and is v8.201.1

emulationstation_debug.log shows:

Code
    ConfigPath /storage/.config/emulationstation
    lvl0:     Error creating SDL window!
        Could not create GLES window surface
    lvl0:     Renderer failed to initialize!
    lvl0:     Window failed to initialize!

emulationstation.log shows:

Code
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Sat Jul 25 17:24:51 AEST 2020
    ============================================================
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Firts Run!
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: RPi
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Kodi is ready.
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: RPi4.arm-9.2.3 - Sat Jul 25 17:24:55 AEST 2020
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Stop kodi...
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Launch EmulationStation (See process output in emulationstation_debug.log)
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Set LC_ALL=C
    EmulationStation [ADDON] :: Restart kodi...

I can get RetroArch working and playing cores OK. LibreELEC works OK.

Any pointers from anyone?

• Any pointers from anyone?

I m sure few posts back on this thread bite_your_idols was trying to get ES to work with RPi 4 with no success...on the other hand AEL and RA works fine and you can set them up with all the bells and whistles i.e artwork etc..

edit it's post #1069

• I m sure few posts back on this thread bite_your_idols was trying to get ES to work with RPi 4 with no success...on the other hand AEL and RA works fine and you can set them up with all the bells and whistles i.e artwork etc..

edit it's post #1069

Ah thanks. I wasn't quite sure if RPi4 was fully supported. I got RA working with the manual config change. I'd just switched over from the RetroELEC build which has ES, RA working on RPi4, so I'm sure it's possible. I'll just wait it out.

Cheers.

• newbie first time poster here...

Been looking around for a way to use RA on RPi4 running LE 9.2.5... basically wanna play N64 games on my RPi..

Apologize if this has been discussed before but I can't seem to get it to work.. maybe someone can point me to the right direction

Everytime I opened RA (9.186.20) it just gave me a blank screen. If I downgraded to 9.186.19 it would take me to the RA main screen and then rebooted back to kodi..

I read somewhere that I have to change the menu driver to "xmb" from "ozone" to get it to work in RPi4.. tried that.. still no joy..

I did a fresh install of RA 9.186.20 (most current version?) from Gamestarter Repo and ran it to capture the logs. I'm attaching the logs here..

Any help is appreciated

• heya, thanks for this repo.

I'm new to retrogaming on LibreElec, so I'm a bit confused about the various options.

I've installed MAME 2003 Plus with the builtin libreelec libretro support and I've a bunch of ROMs I can play.

The only annoying thing for me is that I need to browse through them as .zip files.

I'd like to have a GUI ROM browser that shows game names, metadata, screeshots, etc.

What is the best way to achieve that?

Do I need this repo? Or is there a simpler add-on in the standard add-on market?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

• Advanced Emulator Launcher and Retroarch from this Repo does what you want....

• Hello

I just added the Gamestarter Repo and I know want to install the RetroArch add-on, but unfortunately I don't see it on the repository. I attached a screenshot, I see the other add-ons on the repo, but not the RetroArch one. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm on a Raspberry PI (I think Pi 3), running LibreElec (I think version 8.25). Should I update to LibreElec 9 maybe?

Thanks for your help.

• Any way to get this to work on non pi/x86 devices? I tried to launch this on my rock64 (RK3328) but it just goes to black screen and boots back to kodi. retroarch_debug errors out looking for /storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/game.retroarch-RK3, which doesn't exist. I assume this device isn't supported, or I'm doing something wrong. Anything I can do to fix this/hack it together? Can't find any good solutions to get kodi and retroarch running simultaneously on this device.

• Any way to get this to work on non pi/x86 devices? I tried to launch this on my rock64 (RK3328) but it just goes to black screen and boots back to kodi. retroarch_debug errors out looking for /storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/game.retroarch-RK3, which doesn't exist. I assume this device isn't supported, or I'm doing something wrong. Anything I can do to fix this/hack it together? Can't find any good solutions to get kodi and retroarch running simultaneously on this device.

Think I sorta figured this out, in what is likely the worst way possible to do this. Downloaded the working lakka image for the rock64 and pulled the app, cores, databases, and a few libraries, and copied them over to my libreelec image on the rock64. Only tried a few roms so far but I played a bit of mario kart 64 on my 1GB rock64, it ran fine after some tweaks. Mupen didn't work, and I'm guessing a few other cores aren't going to due to this frankenstein setup, but so far it seems more things work than not.

• Hi, I've just installed Libreelec on an Intel NUC 10 (latest nightly build due to the hardware issues with the stable release) and installed the gamestarter addon, however no addons for retroarch etc show up, is that because I'm on a nightly build that isn't supported?

First time installing libreelec and gamestarter, tried by best searching for answers but i've hit a brick wall.

• Lakka 3.0 is out and as far as i understand lakka cores were used in the latest retroarch build by bite_your_idols. Is an update coming soon or can we just "transplant" the newer cores in our folders?

News - Lakka 3.0 release

RetroArch from the GameStarter repo doesn't work in my rpi4 running the latest stable LibreElec. I'm gonna download the latest Lakka and test it out

• Hello! I'm beginner in libreelec. I want to try playing some NES games on my RPi3B+. I can't find, how I can setup 2 controllers for multiplayer (2 players) in some games (Battle City, Contra, for example). Have emulators in libreelec add-ons this feature? Also, I have not any idea about setup TURBO A,B buttons. NES controller profile has not TURBO buttons.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry for my English :(

• Hi,

i try used libreeelec 9.2 seperate for Gamestarter via USB

I used Retroarch on other Plattform too (Laptop, Android etc.) here i have 1 Problem with Nintendo Gamcube / Wii

The Sys folder is on the right Place

The Core is download

But i cant used this Core ...

Via settings - Load Core Nintendo Gamecub / Wii

Retroarch dont load this core

Can anybody help because would be nice my roms run there too (on other devices run all fine)