Anything better than a Pi4 currently?

• I’ve been a long time user of LE on a Pi4 and the experience has been excellent. 4K HDR10 with pass through of any audio stream, what more could I want?

I have one minor niggle that probably shouldn’t even be a niggle…. I’ve just got a new 77” Sony Bravia XR which supports Dolby Vision. Obviously no DV on a Pi, so I started researching other hardware options for Kodi on hardware that does support DV.

Which basically means Android…. I have used a firestick 4K max and Nvidia shield Pro but neither of them hold a candle to the Pi4 running LE.

So long story short…. Is the pi4 as good as it gets currently for Kodi on LE? I have a pi5 on pre order but literally the ONLY thing missing here is DV support.

Thanks

• DV is encumbered by licensing and closed-source code needed to make things work. Kodi supports it on selected Android hardware like the nVidia shield and Firestick where the chip vendor paid-to-play and embedded the necessary stuff in the Android display pipeline; and support for DV is simply exposed to Kodi as a capability via the Android MediaCodec API.

None of the above happens on general purpose Linux or distros like LE because none of the moving parts are open-source and aside from a few scattered bits of boot and wireless firmware everyone middle-fingers closed source blobs and nobody will pay the licensing fees. The one possible exception you might look into is the latest OSMC Vero 5? box which is basically taking the Amlogic Android-Linux kernel (with all the needed codec support built-in) and perverting it for Linux/Kodi use. Go read the small print though; because I haven't and I'm only assuming it has support for DV media (but it likely does).

• DV is encumbered by licensing and closed-source code needed to make things work. Kodi supports it on selected Android hardware like the nVidia shield and Firestick where the chip vendor paid-to-play and embedded the necessary stuff in the Android display pipeline; and support for DV is simply exposed to Kodi as a capability via the Android MediaCodec API.

None of the above happens on general purpose Linux or distros like LE because none of the moving parts are open-source and aside from a few scattered bits of boot and wireless firmware everyone middle-fingers closed source blobs and nobody will pay the licensing fees. The one possible exception you might look into is the latest OSMC Vero 5? box which is basically taking the Amlogic Android-Linux kernel (with all the needed codec support built-in) and perverting it for Linux/Kodi use. Go read the small print though; because I haven't and I'm only assuming it has support for DV media (but it likely does).

Thanks, this is what I thought anyway.

My experience with LE on the Pi4 has been so good with standard HDR10 content, I am struggling to feel like I might be missing out by not being able to play DV content. I always ensure my media is HDR10.

Am I really missing anything with DV compared to HDR10?

• Technically, yes. But everything depends on the viewer, most of the times we're seeing what we're being told we're seeing.

For DV support you currently have the Libreelec's fork for Amlogic devices, CoreELEC. We support a couple of devices that are DV capable on top of all the other stuff.

• Am I really missing anything with DV compared to HDR10?

Dolby Labs will of course tell you so, but the reality is that you won't notice much difference unless you have display equipment costing in the 5-7 digits USD/EUR range (eg professional cinema projectors).

See also the conclusion in the rtings article https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

Ultimately, the difference between the three formats isn't that important. The quality of the TV itself has a much bigger impact on HDR. Both formats can produce much more dynamic images than what we used to see, and HDR delivers a more impactful movie experience as long as the TV displays it properly. There are limitations with HDR, though, because TVs can't reach the 10,000 nit peak brightness and all the colors HDR is capable of, but most TVs still deliver a satisfying HDR experience.

so long,

Hias

• It's obvious that having HDR10 support is better than not having HDR10 support at all.

And yes, the differences between HDR10 content and Dolby Vision content is a lot more nuanced than the difference between SDR and HDR.

But it doesn't mean that there's no discernible difference. I admit that most people, in most cases will not be able to tell the two formats apart (given say the same equipment and 2 versions of the same source material, one DV and the other HDR10). But again, it doesn't mean that there's no difference. In some cases there are noticeable improvements in DV content due to it being a dynamic metadata format.

Having DV support is often a matter of principle for people, who are (or at least consider themselves to be) videophiles. And no, being a videophile doesn't mean you have to buy expensive media players.

Adding DV support is non-trivial. It required a lot of work for us to get it working on CE on devices that have a DV enabled SoC.

But it's possible to have it on a Linux based device, albeit not on x86 and mainline kernel.

With all the above said, I think that none of the Pi boards support DV due to the licensing issue mentioned previously. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

• Could you recommend some hardware for CE so I could try some DV content?

• The ones that we tested and confirmed to work are the following devices:

S922X:

Minix U22X-J
    Ugoos AM6B

S905X4:

Homatics R4
    Dune Homatics R4
    Nokia 8010

RockTek G2

On S905X4 P7 FEL+MEL only work through libdovi and P8.1 conversion.

On the S922X we have P7 FEL support, but MEL doesn't currently work correctly.

• Best overall?

• All of the listed above S905X4 boxes use the same OEM board, so they are basically the same thing with different cases.

I already have the Minix, so that's what I use, as the CPU is more powerful and it supports P7 FEL.

But since it uses a specialized build, we don't make nightly builds for it, we only have stable releases.

• I just got a 4K HDR capable TV and upgraded to Libreelec 12. HDR is working great, but I am still getting weird colors on Dolby Vision files.

• CPU = Intel Celeron J4005
    • GPU = UHD Graphics 600
    • (From System info in LibreELEC) Display Supported HDR types = HDR10, HLG

Is it possible to fix this for Linux on x86, or is this not possible because of licensing? I thought Kodi 21 was including ffmpeg that could decode Dolby Vision, but maybe this is only on hardware with proper licensing?

Thanks!

• No DV with LE. Might be possible using Android or CE depending on hardware.

Ok, I'd rather stick with x86 so I guess CoreELEC is not an option for me.

No DV with UHD Graphics 600.

Ok, I wonder if any of the newer integrated intel graphics support DV. My LE runs in a rackmounted case, so I could always update the motherboard if necessary. Will do some searching on that.
    But it sounds like even if the GPU and display support DV, LE12 still won't be able to properly play it?

Thanks!

• No DV with UHD Graphics 600.

I though Kodi21 would include ffmpeg that would convert DV files to HDR10, or SDR if necessary. So even if GPU or display doesn't support DV, you would at least get some proper playback, though not the full color spectrum if any link in the chain didn't support it.

Maybe I was reading things too optimistically, lol.