[RPi4B] A/V Problems

• Maybe just one more question, since I did the clean installation of LE 11.03 the screen resolution and sound got messed up. It only shows 1024x768, I need it to be 4k. The sound doesn't work either via HDMI, I edited the config.txt, tried "dtparam=audio=on", there were more options: ALSA: bcm2835 HDMI1. bcm2835 HDMI1 etc. and non of that worked. Does anybody know how to configure this?

• I‘m not sure if it’s a good idea to start this discussion here and not in separate thread...

Do you have ensured that you has connected to the first HDMI 0 port? If yes, please check if the contacts at the plugs and the sockets looks good.

Did it work with LibreELEC 11.0.3 before or just an older version?

• Maybe just one more question, since I did the clean installation of LE 11.03 the screen resolution and sound got messed up. It only shows 1024x768, I need it to be 4k. The sound doesn't work either via HDMI, I edited the config.txt, tried "dtparam=audio=on", there were more options: ALSA: bcm2835 HDMI1. bcm2835 HDMI1 etc. and non of that worked. Does anybody know how to configure this?

Hi, It's look like EDID (display detection) issue, ensure always to be the display powered first, check the HDMI connection...

After you got the display worked well, it's a good idea also to save the EDID data in LE, use the "getedid create" command in SSH.

• Hi, It's look like EDID (display detection) issue, ensure always to be the display powered first, check the HDMI connection...

After you got the display worked well, it's a good idea also to save the EDID data in LE, use the "getedid create" command in SSH.

I fixed the sound by adding "hdmi_drive=2" but nothing seems to be working on the 4k resolution. I also added "hdmi_force_hotplug=1" so I don't have to turn the screen on and then the RPi. The "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1" didn't work for the 4k, it still shows max 1024x768. Everything worked on LE 10.0.3 but I don't remember how I archieved that ^^ .

Here is my config.txt:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and distroconfig.txt:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by myshit: Merged a post created by myshit into this post. (August 5, 2023 at 8:19 AM).

• myshit,

I am in the lucky situation that the combination Argon One + Pi4 worked flawless out-of-the box. According to the PiHut documentation it seems to make a difference which HDMI port is in use.

https://support.thepihut.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008687257-No-HDMI-output-on-my-Raspberry-Pi-4

With LibreELEC 11.0.3., I get vc4-hdmi-0 as primary audio device, but my cable chain is (Pi4)Argon One M2 -> AVR-> TV (1920x1080). I don't know if it's only because the auto-detection of your displays EDID is currently not working right, but it looks to me that your HDMI cable is connected to the second HDMI port.

HDMI can be erroneous, because of many pitfalls. VLouis and Da Flex comments are directing to the most well-known root causes of issues with EDID, handshake, maximum transfer speed (4K related) and so on.

- bad cabling (cheap manufactured cables, not certified, not 4K ready ...)

- buggy software/hardware at display device or AVR (TV, monitor, projector)

- production issue of circuit board in the Argon One case

- driver issue

- high frequency emitting devices in the near like USB3, WLAN

Additional I had made the experience that a powerless device which is connected at the same time to the AVR via HDMI can disturb CEC, because it seems to pulls down the +5V or the signal level at HDMI.

The Argon One casing seems not free of additional issues, some users had to force the EDID information. Do you have tested yet the 4 lines at the same time in your config.txt?

prispither
    June 1, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    Raspberry Pi Documentation - The config.txt file
    The official documentation for Raspberry Pi computers and microcontrollers
    www.raspberrypi.com
    Code: config.txt
    hdmi_drive=2
    hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
    hdmi_mode=16
    hdmi_group=1
  • I tested the lines you wrote but it changed the max resolution to 1920x1080p, there is no 4k option. I found that you can set the resolution manually so I tried this:

Code
    disable_overscan=1
    framebuffer_width=3840 framebuffer_height=2160
    max_framebuffer_width=3840
    max_framebuffer_height=2160
    #hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
    hdmi_pixel_freq_limit=400000000
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_timings=3840 1 48 32 80 2160 1 3 5 54 0 0 0 24 0 211190000 3

The resolution changed to 3840x2160 with 24Hz refresh rate. When I tried to change it to 60 FPS in the code but it didn't do anything, still 24FPS.

• For what? 4K material usually doesn't provide 60FPS.

PS: Read the RPi release notes.

Sure, but the UI is laggy in 24 FPS and especially the mouse cursor. I read the notes, tried "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1" but it didn't work and my TV doesn't have the UltraHD Deep Color anywhere and my there's nothing to choose from higher than 1920x1080 in the whitelist in settings as written in wiki about 4k configuration.